C/K model definition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C/K model definition

Please forgive my ignorance, but I've seen the term "C/K model" used a lot on these forums, and I haven't been able to pick up the exact definition from context, forum searching or search engines. Can someone help me out here? (By the way, is there a glossary thread somewhere? One might be useful.)

It all started in 1953 with the coupes and hardtops. Coupes have a C pillar, hardtops don't. The I.D. plate on the firewall will have a C for coupes and a K for hardtops. It carried on through all the Hawks until the GT hawks which are all hardtops.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

IIRC, The short version is:

C-body is '53-61 120" wheelbase two-door coupe, incl Flight Hawk, Power Hawk, Hawk

K-body is '53-58 and '62-64 120" wheelbase two-door hardtop - incl Golden Hawk, Sky Hawk, GT Hawk

There are myriad varieties, but I think that's the basics

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

A 1954 Champion 6, C Body Starlight Coupe:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	54 Champ Starlight Yellow_Black a.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1687421

A 1954 Champion 6, K Body Starliner Hardtop.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	54 Champ Starliner Yellow_Black3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1687422 You can click these TWO times for a good sized Pic.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-22-2014, 10:07 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks everyone! I love learning this stuff. Now I can use the term and not sound like a fool.

Comment

Minor correction Dave; they all have a "C" pillar (by the rear window), coupes have a "B" pillar between the door and the rear quarter window.
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Here is a thread with plenty of pics of them: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=2010

Craig

Comment

Just remember C stands for Coupe. But then there is also a C cab truck. Built from 49-64. Some of these are the R model. Not to be confused with the R series engines.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

LOL. When I first received my Shop manual the model names scared the crap out of me. After 7 years of indoctrination I can actually find what I need by the model names and numbers. It just rubs off on ya.

Comment

Something else that I figured out after I got the C/K difference down (Correct me if I'm wrong...)

Because of their pillared construction, the C Coupes were inherently more structurally sound.

The K Hardtops' frames required additional U shaped stiffening under the doorsills from the factory. These are the "hog troughs" that you hear so much about (you especially hear that they are full of rust, and are a real pain to replace)

Comment

Absolutely. If the old hog troughs are still there, you can use them for a template and make new ones up pretty quickly on a metal brake with 16 gauge steel. Welding them in requires a plan of attack. You can spot weld them, then attack with a few holes in the floor from above and leave the ends open until all your welding is complete.

Comment

The above information is good for 1953-1964 models, once the C pillar was corrected to B pillar, but there were other years of C bodies. The five passenger/Starlight coupes of 1947-1952 were also C body coupes.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          The above information is good for 1953-1964 models, once the C pillar was corrected to B pillar, but there were other years of C bodies. The five passenger/Starlight coupes of 1947-1952 were also C body coupes.
                          As was the 1952 Starliner, which was also a K-body, and based on the convertible, which I believe was the S-body in those years.

Craig

Comment

So...cut the roof below the rear window and above the windshield to reveal a potential convertible and it is a K. Cut the roof below the rear window and above the windshield and still have a mess to deal with between the front door and rear quarter windows and it is a C?
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I define C/K this way.................C=$$$$, K=$$$$$$!

Comment

Working...
                              X