PDA

View Full Version : Nice Stude Mat'l: March '14 Hemmings Muscle Machines

BobPalma
01-22-2014, 10:20 AM
The March 2014 Hemmings Muscle Machines arrived today. Studebaker coverage continues apace. :D

Five full pages of Buyer's Guide highlight SDCer Frank Wenzel's white 1963 R2/4-speed Avanti, and the supporting material is good, with many photos; Matt Litwin does a nice job.

(OK, the phrase, "...history tells us Studebaker couldn't avoid automotive foreclosure" could have been worded differently and more accurately, and Matt's discussion of Avanti torque boxes leads one to believe they are part of the car's frame, rather than part of the car's body.)

Other than those items, which aren't the end of the world, the article is nicely done and a big plus for us to have that many dedicated pages in Hemmings Muscle Machines.

Elsewhere, this issue includes a six-page photo report of the big 2013 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Rosemont [Chicago-area] Illinois late last year. If you remember, SDCers Ed George [white R3 Avanti] and Eric DeRosa [Rose Mist 1963 Lark Custom 2-door, R2/4-speed] displayed at that event. Their display is not called out in a separate photo within the report.

However, Ed and Eric's display is easily seen in the huge opening photo that spreads across the first two pages of the report; Pages 34 and 35. All of Ed's Avanti is shown, as is the front part of Eric's Lark, with the hood open. The orange supercharger atop Eric's R2 is visible. :!:

An interesting issue with good Studebaker material. As I've said before, we seem to be getting more press now than when Studebaker was in business. :D BP

warrlaw1
01-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Sweet. Bob, you could have managed the PR department when Studebaker was still making cars. Thanks for all your efforts.

BobPalma
01-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Sweet. Bob, you could have managed the PR department when Studebaker was still making cars. Thanks for all your efforts.

Thanks, Dave, but I would have had to be a real child prodigy. :whome:

I had been 20 years old only a month when they discontinued manufacturing in Hamilton. :o BP