Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was this type of 50s era dealer sign ever really used.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this type of 50s era dealer sign ever really used.

In terms of 1950s Studebaker outside-the-dealer 42" round signage, (either suspended or mounted on a pole), was this Parts & Accessories style of porcelain sign shown below, ever really used? I came across this drawing of one, printed in an early '50s brochure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1742332
    This style of sign Should have had coloring that was similar to the Authorized Service sign of the same era, shown below.

Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1742334

I believe that this maroon and yellow version was only used out of the United States.

Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1742335

And finally, my understanding is that the "decal" shown below (and way under 42") was only used as advertising on packaging of parts and perhaps was also used as window decals at the dealerships from around that era, but probably earlier.

Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1742336
    I know I may not get any answers, but many thanks anyway. DC
    Attached Files

Quinn might know.... or Palma.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Type 3, the maroon and yellow one was popular with Australian dealers for a time.

Chris.

Comment

Yes that parts and accessory sign was very popular during the 1940s and 50s. The image below from a 20 page sign catalog issued to dealers in Oct 1945. I had this sign reproduced on foam board and sold a few. Once on the wall they can't be told from original.....and at about 1/100th the cost!

Name:	sign catalog.jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1687410
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

As a collector of porcelain signs, I've acquired several of the yellow and maroon signs from former CA Studebaker Dealers. So it cannot be Aussie only.

Isn't this a later ('50's) version of the other sign?
          Last edited by WinM1895; 01-21-2014, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Yes, the Yellow and Maroon signs are fairly common and were first offered in c1956. I have had these reproduced as well.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Mr. Q. were your repro ones 42 inch and do you still have any for sale?

Comment

I have the yellow and maroon porcelain sign that hung outside my Uncle Al's dealership "Reese's Garage" in Silverdale, PA., USA from '63-'82. Rob in PA.

Comment

They look good them signs can't say I'll ever find any over here

Comment

While I sold out of that particular sign I could easily have another made for you. Contact me at rtq11 at aol dot com if interested.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                    X