PDA

View Full Version : R3 Engine Color

63RedR3
01-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Folks - anyone have a color match number or name for the red R3 engine block color? Time for some block touch up
before the next show. Many Thanks Steve

SN-60
01-20-2014, 03:38 PM
This could be the question of the week! There are many different shades of red. What WAS the exact formula of red used by the Granatellis on their R3 (and R4?) engines?

bezhawk
01-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Duplicolor Chrysler Engine enamel Red is a very, very close match.

R3 challenger
01-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Back when my first R3 from Paxton was new, I found that Rustoleum Fire Hydrant Red was extremely close. A later version of that color (different name, same Rustoleum number) was called Regal Red. 'Haven't checked lately to see if Regal Red is still available. I prefer not to use that brand, however, unless that color is available in a quick-dry formulation...but it's so close, you could use it for matching.

George

Corvanti
01-20-2014, 11:48 PM
i still have a rattle can of Rustoleum Regal Red #7765 "Gloss Protective Enamel", that was a match for a small touch-up spot on my '40 - above the grill. it's probably still available. i don't think i'd want to do the engine with that, but maybe the color is available in a high temp engine paint. if that is the "correct" color, (or close)...

Edit: Brad Bez is more than likely correct on the closer color for the paint than i am!

63RedR3
01-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Thanks folks - looks like Duplicolor DE 1632 - Chrysler Industrial Red might be the ticket. I'll get a can and report back on the match.
Best

Steve