Top-mounted spotlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top-mounted spotlight

This is the first vehicle of any sort-- a '41 Studebaker truck, it so happens-- I've ever seen with a top-mounted spotlight. Aftermarket, no doubt, but has anyone ever seen this before?

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1742311

Crazy insane price!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

yep, my great grand uncle in KY had one on his 40's farm truck. i reckon it was to get a 360 degree view from the comfort of the driver's seat.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

They are now illegal in most all, if not all, states for civilian on road use.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Top-mounted spotlights or spotlights mounted anywhere?

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          They are now illegal in most all, if not all, states for civilian on road use.

Comment

Originally posted by handworn View Post
            Top-mounted spotlights or spotlights mounted anywhere?
            Roof mounted spotlights are the only ones that I was referring to as illegal.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks...didn't seem likely that something I see on many classic cars would be illegal where they are usually mounted, so I was confused.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Roof mounted spotlights are the only ones that I was referring to as illegal.

Comment

Yep. That's where all the farmers around these parts mount them. That's how you can see if the irrigation water has reached the end of the furrow. Also handy for shining on the teenagers "parked" on the ditchbank.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Now I gotta say that opening photo on the eBay ad is just beautiful! Crop the junk out of the bottom and you got a T/W cover right there! Actually, I really did have to enlarge it to make sure it wasn't a painting.
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Thanks...didn't seem likely that something I see on many classic cars would be illegal where they are usually mounted, so I was confused.

Illegal mounted anywhere in SC but usually overlooked on classic cars. I was encouraged to replace the light on the one I have with a mirror before I install it and told point blank there were areas in SC I would be ticketed if the spotlight was operational and I would certainly be ticketed anywhere if I was seen using it in a public area. I was with a friend in NC 25ish years ago that had one that he used as a back-up light on a Jeep Truck (windshield post mount) when he was stopped and told it had to be removed entirely. Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

The Studebaker, FoMoCo and etc spotlights were made by Unity and you can buy them brand new...today! unityusa.com

Comment

I have an A-pillar mount stainless spotlight that was removed from a 1961 Plymouth police car in 1961.
                        The police here now use black case spotlights.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Spotlights are legal in VT, here is what the law says:

"It is illegal to intentionally throw or cast the rays of a spotlight, jack, or other artificial light on any highway, or any field, woodland, or forest, in order to spot, locate, take, or attempt to spot, locate or take any wild animal.

A light may be used to illuminate and shoot a raccoon once treed by a dog, or dogs, during the raccoon hunting season. A light may also be used to illuminate a raccoon once treed by a dog, or dogs, during the training season."

BTW: I was just looking at the installation instructions for AC-1431, which is a spotlight kit for 1947 to 1952 Champions & Commanders, and it has specific instructions from Unity for roof mounting, so apparently it was a factory option. If I had to guess it would likely have applied to spotlights for trucks of that period too.
                          Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                            Illegal mounted anywhere in SC but usually overlooked on classic cars. I was encouraged to replace the light on the one I have with a mirror before I install it and told point blank there were areas in SC I would be ticketed if the spotlight was operational and I would certainly be ticketed anywhere if I was seen using it in a public area. I was with a friend in NC 25ish years ago that had one that he used as a back-up light on a Jeep Truck (windshield post mount) when he was stopped and told it had to be removed entirely. Steve
                            I'd expect spots to be illegal on 'civilian' vehicles in places like California but not South Carolina.
                            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

This is the first vehicle of any sort-- a '41 Studebaker truck, it so happens-- I've ever seen with a top-mounted spotlight. Aftermarket, no doubt, but has anyone ever seen this before?

Nothing special...
                              You can still buy them new today from Unity.... Couple of different sizes, too...........

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X