PDA

View Full Version : Leaking gas tank in Avanti II

davette59
01-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Amongst all of the other problems I have had restoring my 78 Avanti II, (a new problem every day) I now find that I have a leaky gas tank. I need some advice, can a tank be repaired or would it be advisable to just purchase a used tank. The straps appear to be rusted through as well. I have looked through the Studebaker International catalog and web site and I couldn't find either a tank or the straps. I am totally out of money on this and hate to stop when I am so close to using it. New professional paint job wet sanded and buffed, partial new interior, all new gaskets and I'm afraid I'm at a point where I need to cut my losses and get rid of the car. What a shame. At some point I guess you just need to say "enough is enough". I now have over $25,000.00 in it. I guess I picked the wrong car to restore for a person retired and on a fixed budget! It's like eating potato chips and trying to stop.

mmagic
01-18-2014, 10:45 PM
http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/how-to-with-mastercoat/how-to-repair-a-gas-tank-with-masterseries/

Never used it for this purpose but the way it covers and sticks on any skin it sees, I'd believe it works.

64studeavanti
01-19-2014, 06:11 AM
If you need a tank, pm me as I have a spare.

SN-60
01-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Is the tank leaking from just one spot or is it 'thin' everywhere?

davette59
01-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Is the tank leaking from just one spot or is it 'thin' everywhere?

PO don't know where the leak is or if the whole bottom is thin. I just got a call from the guy working on the car that it was leaking. I will be going to look at it on Monday and will post what condition it is in then.

davette59
01-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Went to look at the gas tank on Monday and find that it is a small leak at the right front of he tank. I couldn't tell but it is probably at a seam. I am going to try and locate a radiator shop since several people have told me that this is what they have done when they had a leak in their tanks and it worked well. I also understand it shouldn't be too expensive. As soon as the weather is a bit warmer, I will remove it and take it to someone. Hard to find one in the Nashville area though. I also understand that the tank is not very difficult to remove.

sweetolbob
01-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Went to look at the gas tank on Monday and find that it is a small leak at the right front of he tank. I couldn't tell but it is probably at a seam. I am going to try and locate a radiator shop since several people have told me that this is what they have done when they had a leak in their tanks and it worked well. I also understand it shouldn't be too expensive. As soon as the weather is a bit warmer, I will remove it and take it to someone. Hard to find one in the Nashville area though. I also understand that the tank is not very difficult to remove.

The one thing you need to know is the tank will not lift out until you go under the car and remove the 90 deg fitting from the bottom of the tank. It threads in so you can remove it like any pipe fitting. This also makes it a great time to replace the short fuel line with EFI grade fuel line. That old line doesn't like newer fuels.

Lastly, you will still have some fuel left in the tank no matter how well you drain it. Put a pipe plug back in the tank before you lift it out unless you need to clean the area around the tank with gasoline.

Bob

davette59
01-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks Bob, your advice is as always very useful. I have painted the car a 2013 Chevrolet "Ginger Ale". I hope to post some photos of it before too long. Every turn I take there's another something that needs to be fixed so it may be a while. The car has new seat covers in it but the guy that installed them, before I bought it, marked the back side with a magic marker ( I suppose to record it's location ) and it bled through the vinyl. It looks like I will need to replace these new covers.

davette59
01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Bob, can you tell me what size the plug Would be that I need to use in the bottom of the tank?

sweetolbob
01-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Bob, can you tell me what size the plug Would be that I need to use in the bottom of the tank?

Dave, IIRC it's 1/4" NPT but others may correct me. I know how fired up you were about the purchase and then the issues you ran into.

Hopefully that will be all behind you soon and you'll be able to enjoy it on the road. Because I do most of my own work, it doesn't occur to me usually how small jobs can keep cropping up and draining the funds.

I'm looking forward to pictures so I may continue living vicariously through the efforts of others.:D

Good Luck, Bob

plwindish
01-22-2014, 11:53 AM
3 years ago, I had the tank gone over from my 76. The radiator shop cleaned it out and soldered 30 some spots on the out side of the tank where the baffles must have been spot welded to the tank sides. The tank was was also coated after the cleaning and soldering. Before the repair, my wife was always complaining about the gas odor inside the car, but the tank repair took care of the smell. The tank is just a pain in the keester to remove, repair and replace. Good luck with the project.

As far as new problems cropping up all the time, we've all been there, done that, accumulating several t-shirts commemorating the events along the way. My latest issue is to sort out why I've had backfiring that has wiped out 2 sets of mufflers, starting last July in Colorado Springs and again in November.

Dick Steinkamp
01-22-2014, 01:58 PM
As far as new problems cropping up all the time, we've all been there, done that, accumulating several t-shirts commemorating the events along the way. My latest issue is to sort out why I've had backfiring that has wiped out 2 sets of mufflers, starting last July in Colorado Springs and again in November.

This is so true. If you expect to get to the point that a vintage car will be as dependable and trouble free as a 2 year old car, you will be continually disappointed. IMHO, if you don't enjoy tinkering with old cars and personally fixing things as they break you are probably in the wrong hobby.

davette59
01-22-2014, 02:55 PM
I don't mind the occasional problems popping up, I have a 1963 Corvair Spyder Convertible that keeps letting me know it needs some tender loving care. The problem with the Avanti is that so many problems pop up that it seems like I'll never get it completed. The other problem that I didn't foresee is that the Avanti parts cost about 5 times what the Corvair parts cost so I wasn't prepared. I'm now passing the $22,000 mark and haven't even begun with any mechanical items. I know I'll love and enjoy it once it's completed. I wonder if they have Avanti parking at the poor house! I can't wait for warm weather so I can really get my hands dirty on it.

davette59
01-22-2014, 03:08 PM
this is a picture of my restored 1963 Corvair Spyder. I only hope my Avanti II turns out as well.
i don't know how to post photos on this site so I hope this works.

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/davette59/media/Photos%20for%20Corvair%20Cnter%20ignature/IMG_0693.jpg.html?evt=email_share

Dick Steinkamp
01-22-2014, 04:31 PM
this is a picture of my restored 1963 Corvair Spyder. I only hope my Avanti II turns out as well.
i don't know how to post photos on this site so I hope this works.

http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/davette59/media/Photos%20for%20Corvair%20Cnter%20ignature/IMG_0693.jpg.html?evt=email_share

Beautiful car. Nice job! :!: