Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spelling Test: ID the Man, Win the Photo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spelling Test: ID the Man, Win the Photo!

'Just returned from the annual winter Hoosier Auto Shop & Swap Meet indoor literature exchange at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Brickyard Crossing. 'Always a good place to spend money in January.

I was given this photo when I bought some other material from one of the vendors:

The photo is actually about half again as long as it appears; I cropped it in editing to hide the name on his shirt.

The first person to post his name and cite his loose relationship to Studebaker wins the photo!

Be careful: If you don't spell his name correctly, you don't win! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Andy Granatelli Drove Avanti's at Bonneville.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Well, it's Rodger Ward, but I'll be danged if I know what his Studebaker connection is.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Andy was balding by then. Nasty comb over to boot.

Comment

Ward was given a new Studebaker Avanti after He won the '62 indy 500.

Comment

By 4 minutes you got to the finish ahead of me. Good call SN-60

Comment

Originally posted by TDC71 View Post
              By 4 minutes you got to the finish ahead of me. Good call SN-60
              Thanks!, I've always been a fan of that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Ward was given a new Studebaker Avanti after He won the '62 indy 500.
                OK on the Studebaker connection, Ed, but how do you spell Mr. Ward's first name? BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  OK on the Studebaker connection, Ed, but how do you spell Mr. Ward's first name? BP

Wow Bob......I really would spell it RODGER. Is that wrong in this case

Comment

Wow Bob......I really would spell it RODGER. Is that wrong in this case
                    BINGO, Ed; you got it.

Do you want the photo?

If so, is your address still on Taunton St. in Lakeville, per the new, 2014 SDC Membership Roster?

BP

Comment

Here's his obit.
                      Rodger Ward, 83; Oldest Living Winner of Indianapolis 500

Obituaries

July 06, 2004|Shav Glick | Times Staff Writer

• Email

Rodger Ward, who was the oldest living winner of the Indianapolis 500 and one of its most revered champions, died Monday at a hospice in Anaheim at the age of 83, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced. The cause of death was not reported. Ward won the Indy 500 in 1959 and 1962 and during a six-year stretch starting in 1959 had the finest record of anyone in Indianapolis Motor Speedway history. After his victory in '59, he finished second in 1960, third in 1961, first in 1962, fourth in 1963 and second in 1964.
                      He won the U.S. Auto Club Indy car national championships in 1959 and 1962, the AAA (forerunner of the U.S. Auto Club) stock car crown in 1951, and 26 championship races, second only at the time to A.J. Foyt.

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

I'd really like to have that photo Bob,Thanks!...That's My correct address. And when We meet up, I'm still buying Your dinner for those '55 Speedster serials You obtained for the roster. (Hopefully, You'll like Wendy's)

Comment

I'd really like to have that photo Bob,Thanks!...That's My correct address. And when We meet up, I'm still buying Your dinner for those '55 Speedster serials You obtained for the roster. (Hopefully, You'll like Wendy's)
                          OK, Ed; you got it.

We're about to get snowed in (again!) and the Post Office won't be open 'til Tuesday, so it will get there sooner or later.

Here's the full photo:

BP

Comment

Working...
                          X