No announcement yet.

Powershift and 1st gear start...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Powershift and 1st gear start...?

Does the Powershift start in 2nd gear when selector placed in "D" ? Will a 1st start valve body work in a Powershift tranny ?

Yes, starts in 2nd gear, FOMs in 6 cylinder cars used a 1st gear start. You can add a 1st gear start valve body, I don't know what's involved in the installation, but there's one for sale on the Studebaker Swap page http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/showads.php

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
      Yes, starts in 2nd gear, FOMs in 6 cylinder cars used a 1st gear start. You can add a 1st gear start valve body, I don't know what's involved in the installation, but there's one for sale on the Studebaker Swap page http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/showads.php
      It's for a Flightomatic not a Powershift, a totally different animal.

I really don't understand why you would want a 1st gear start in a powershift anyway? The powershift was designed to mimick 4 speed shifting in an automatic. Kind of takes the fun out of driving a performance automatic car doesn't it? I can't say I ever drive my cars from a stop position in "Drive" and always operate both cars going through the gears .

If you are concerned about shifting a powershift into reverse by accident while in forward gear, Dave T-Bow has a slick addition that I have installed in both powershift cars that I own to eliminate the possiblity of doing so. It is an L-shaped tab installed on the shifter where one has to press the black button to be able to shift into reverse. Well worth installing on any powershift car.

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

The main reason the 1st. gear start Flight-O-Matic valve body would not work is the completely different 6 Position shift pattern, P R N D 2 1 in the P/S vs the FOM P N D L R.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You need to use a FMX valve body, modify the case to use the vacuum modulator used in the FMX transmission and use a FMX detent. Or you can use the complete FMX transmission with the Studebaker input shaft.
          David L

Comment

Working...
          X