PDA

View Full Version : What did I just buy?

Patrick
01-16-2014, 01:31 PM
It's a 1955 Studebaker Champion, 4dr, not a hardtop. Can you tell me what trim level or the exact model type from the pictures? I'm new to Studebakers so any advice on how to proceed getting it back on the road would be welcome.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31429&d=1389895091

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31431&d=1389895129

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31430&d=1389895107

8E45E
01-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Does the firewall tag read '16G W5'? If so, you have an early 1955 Champion Regal Deluxe four door sedan.

Craig

Patrick
01-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Does the firewall tag read '16G W5'? If so, you have an early 1955 Champion Regal Deluxe four door sedan.

Craig

Thanks, I'll check that as soon as it's home.

StudeRich
01-16-2014, 02:18 PM
The Early '55 Sedans/Wagons like yours have a "Straight" Windshield (curved), not a Wraparound like a late '55.

It appears that it may have the 3 Speed Manual Trans. You will want to check and see if there is a Chrome "T" Handle under the Left side of the dash stamped O.D. meaning you have the much more desirable Borg Warner R-10 Overdrive equipped T-96 Trans.

The front seat looks like a 60/40 split Seat from a GM? car.

31432 A Late '55 2 Door sedan with the Wraparound Windshield.

57pack
01-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Beautiful car, lots of potential there. Good luck with her,:!:

warrlaw1
01-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Now that's a sweet car, and like Rich said, an early 55. I love the two tone paint scheme.

Patrick
01-16-2014, 02:51 PM

That's not good, the car is vintage plated so I thought it would be mostly original. If the seats aren't original then that is a little bit of a bummer.

55s
01-16-2014, 02:56 PM
The front seats can be easily changed back to original, but may have to be reupholstered. Nice car!

LarkTruck
[QUOTE=StudeRich;813630]

The seats appear to me as mid 60's GTO buckets. Good luck with your new purchase Patrick.
JS

StudeRich
In the States we are free to modify our cars as we wish, with no restrictions no matter how they are registered, it is the CAR that is a Classic, not it's detail features. same with Standard "Driver Car" Insurance.

Nox
01-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Nice one, congrats & welcome!
How about a picture of the engine-bay?
I've got a -55 4-door also but a later one & I can never get enough of 53-55 sedan-pictures...

Patrick
01-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Nice one, congrats & welcome!
How about a picture of the engine-bay?
I've got a -55 4-door also but a later one & I can never get enough of 53-55 sedan-pictures...

As soon as I get it home I will oblige on the pictures. Do you have pics of what the original seats should look like?

Nox
01-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Yes I do, but it'll be a while until I get to my own computer, but if you look at Racing Studebaker's site & under non-Studebaker-powered there's a thread on my car "Josephine, a Moparistic -55 sedan" or something like that, I don't remember what I wrote once upon a time... & I think there's pictures there.
But I also think the interior is depending on what the first buyer chooses, mine has red "tuck'n roll", the 55's got a lot nicer colors & styles than the years before.
The tuck'n roll doesn't go all over the door-panels thou, only a bit.
& why not google "Studebaker 1955 interior"?
Good luck!

showbizkid
01-16-2014, 11:56 PM
As a long time Pontiac driver, I will concur - those look a lot like '66 Tempest / LeMans seat covers. I'd recognize embossed Morrokide anywhere!

ndynis
01-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Good looking car! You will be surprised what a little elbow grease will do for that paint. Like others, I am waiting for the engine compartment pictures. Does it run?
You have a really good start for getting into the hobby. If you haven't already, join the Studebaker Drivers Club. You will get a great monthly mag called Turning Wheels and it is full of information every month. It will also help you find a local chapter of the club near you where you will find people who love to help new members get started on the right track.

Keep the pictures coming. This forum is full of experts and they are quick to share their knowledge with you. Welcome. It is a great hobby full of great people.

PlainBrownR2
01-17-2014, 12:35 AM
The '55 Champion trim should also have the 185 cid flathead six cylinder in there. Most years they went with the 170 six flathead six cylinder, but in 1955 they decided to go with the bigger, slightly zippier 185 cid engine instead.

Patrick
01-17-2014, 11:12 AM
The car doesn't run but did 7 years ago when it was parked. I assume that means I'll have some work to do to get it running again. It is a 16G W5 with the 6 cylinder. The engine bay still has the pencil marks from the factory, I'll get pictures up tonight or tomorrow after the tow truck drops it off.

StudeRich
01-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Here is a start, not good Pics of the Interior though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Other-Commander-Commander-Regal-Sedan-V-8-Automatic-/261374322552?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3cdb1fa778&item=261374322552&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_9152wt_917

8E45E
01-17-2014, 01:09 PM
The car doesn't run but did 7 years ago when it was parked. I assume that means I'll have some work to do to get it running again. It is a 16G W5 with the 6 cylinder. The engine bay still has the pencil marks from the factory, I'll get pictures up tonight or tomorrow after the tow truck drops it off.

Is it made in Hamilton? It might have a 'Two Tone' streamer after that '16G W5' tag. The marking on the firewall probably says either "Sonora" or "Shasta" on it, looking at your photos.

Craig

dictator27
01-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Patrick

Are you aware of the BC Coastal chapter of SDC? Our club meeting is this Sunday (19th) at 1 pm at 15764 102B Avenue in Surrey.

Terry

Patrick
01-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Here is a start, not good Pics of the Interior though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Other-Commander-Commander-Regal-Sedan-V-8-Automatic-/261374322552?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3cdb1fa778&item=261374322552&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_9152wt_917

Thanks! So it's really a bench seat, not a split seat I need. I guess I'll worry about that after I fix the engine and the rust. Still slightly disappointing.

dictator27
01-17-2014, 01:57 PM
In the States we are free to modify our cars as we wish, with no restrictions no matter how they are registered, it is the CAR that is a Classic, not it's detail features. same with Standard "Driver Car" Insurance.

Not so here, Rich. In order to qualify for the plates this car has on it, it must meet this criteria:

Thirty years old

Maintained as close as possible to original condition with original parts

Restored to a condition which conforms as nearly as possible to the original manufacturers specifications

Owned as a collectors item

Mechanically sound

To get the plates you must:

Fill out an application form available on line or from an ICBC agent

Take photographs of the car - lots of photographs - from all possible angles, inside, outside, underneath. One or two won't do.

Take the application and photos to an ICBC agent and wait about three weeks for the plates to arrive in the mail. ICBC has been known to ask that the car be taken to an ICBC inspection facility. They have refused to issue plates for some very trivial reasons.

If those seats were in this car when the previous owner applied for the plates, he got away with one.

Terry

Patrick
01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Patrick

Are you aware of the BC Coastal chapter of SDC? Our club meeting is this Sunday (19th) at 1 pm at 15764 102B Avenue in Surrey.

Terry

No I didn't. The car isn't even in my driveway yet. I'll go look for your website.

dictator27
01-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Don't need a car to come to the meeting. :) If you can make it, come on by.

Terry

Patrick
01-18-2014, 01:11 PM
The car is on our driveway now and the bright light of day is always disappointing. The hood is bent at the corners from being forced open, is there something wrong with the hinges or am I just supposed to pull it forward before up? The car does have an overdrive lever so I assume that means an overdrive transmission. The engine bay front area is pretty rusty. How common are the radiator support pieces and what would it cost to replace that? The trunk isn't bad, the spare well is the worst but I think it's not too bad. Anyway, here are a couple of pics and the rest I have in an album at imgur (http://imgur.com/a/RGICx)
31490 31491 31492

Nox
01-18-2014, 01:38 PM
It looks like it's been standing wet with huminity raising up from the ground under the hood, maby on grass?
& I can't say I understand why you wanna have separate seats, with the bench you can have all the goodies right by your side on long trips!
& your love-one close by...
After all; Studebaker made good road-cars & are made for DRIVING!
:)

dictator27
01-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Yes, the hood should be pulled forward first before lifting it. Kinked hood corners are a common problem. There are reinforcements available to correct it. Replacement springs for the hood hinges (4 of them) can be obtained. Radiator supports should be readily available as well.

Terry

StudeRich
01-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Well that Body Tag sure is NOT from South Bend, the Serial Number Plate must say: "Studebaker of Canada".

WinM1895
01-18-2014, 05:35 PM
The seats appear to me as mid 60's GTO buckets. :confused:

Notice that the passenger seat is wider than the drivers seat, this arrangement in the autobiz is known as 60/40 split seats. GTO's came with two bucket seats.

These seats, more than likely, would have come from a 2dr sedan or hardtop. They're vinyl, not leather, eliminating the high buck GM 2dr hardtops.

Since this is a 4 door sedan, it would have come with a bench seat with a one piece backrest.

Cars with a bench seat cushion with split backrests were only installed in 2 door coupes and hardtops.

It was necessary to fold the backrests forward to get in/out of the back seat.

SN-60
01-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Well that Body Tag sure is NOT from South Bend, the Serial Number Plate must say: "Studebaker of Canada".

Yes Rich, that body number plate and 'streamer' caught My eye too!

Patrick
01-18-2014, 06:58 PM

It does :-)

1962larksedan
01-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Not so here, Rich. In order to qualify for the plates this car has on it, it must meet this criteria:

Thirty years old

Maintained as close as possible to original condition with original parts

Restored to a condition which conforms as nearly as possible to the original manufacturers specifications

Owned as a collectors item

Mechanically sound

To get the plates you must:

Fill out an application form available on line or from an ICBC agent

Take photographs of the car - lots of photographs - from all possible angles, inside, outside, underneath. One or two won't do.

Take the application and photos to an ICBC agent and wait about three weeks for the plates to arrive in the mail. ICBC has been known to ask that the car be taken to an ICBC inspection facility. They have refused to issue plates for some very trivial reasons.

If those seats were in this car when the previous owner applied for the plates, he got away with one.

Terry

That's odd since; technically speaking, retrofitting 3 point seatbelts as well as a dual chamber brake master cylinder would no longer make a vehicle like your Champion 'original' under local regulations.............never mind that such mods are worthwhile safety upgrades.

Patrick
01-18-2014, 07:18 PM
It looks like it's been standing wet with huminity raising up from the ground under the hood, maby on grass?
& I can't say I understand why you wanna have separate seats, with the bench you can have all the goodies right by your side on long trips!
& your love-one close by...
After all; Studebaker made good road-cars & are made for DRIVING!
:)

Not by choice, just what came with the car. I will look at what original seats cost, who knows?

Patrick
01-18-2014, 07:22 PM
That's odd since; technically speaking, retrofitting 3 point seatbelts as well as a dual chamber brake master cylinder would no longer make a vehicle like your Champion 'original' under local regulations.............never mind that such mods are worthwhile safety upgrades.

They do make exceptions for safety upgrades like seat belts and disc brakes. I think it's mostly about cosmetics and a bias against highly modified cars. I have a 67 New Yorker that I just got collector plates on and they didn't get too picky on the paint. It has a white roof, not original, and a couple of minor blemishes.

We figure the Studebaker will likely not be collector plated anyway, too much work and my wife wants to drive it more than vintage plates allow.

dictator27
01-18-2014, 07:56 PM

ICBC does allow safety upgrades to a vehicle.

Terry

GThawkwind
01-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Soneone finally snagged this little car, eh? It looked like a good deal, I saw the ad several times but it was in canada and a sedan so I personally wasn't interested.