Borg Warner T-10/rear axle ident. for 62 gt hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Borg Warner T-10/rear axle ident. for 62 gt hawk

I have a 62 GT Hawk that I am in the process of doing a frame off restoration. I am looking for help identifying the T-10 4_speed as to whether it it a close or wide ratio. I also would like help with the dana 44 rear axle. How can I determine if it is a posi=trac and what the gear ratio is. Any help would be appreciated.

As far as determining if the rear end is a Twin Traction rear or not a couple of ways are used. Turn the wheel on one side. If the opposite side turns the same way its a Twin Traction, or put your finger in the fill hole on the rear cover. If your finger goes in easily, then its a standard open rear, if not, a Twin Traction.

If your rear doesn't have a tag showing the number of teeth for the ring & pinion then count the revolutions between the pinion input & one wheel.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

You can tell if you have a TT rear by pulling the fill plug and reaching in with your finger. The TT rears place the ring gear close to the cover. If your finger touches the ring gear before the first digit it's probably a TT rear. As for the T 10 ratio I think there are grooves on the input shaft that ID the ratio. I'm sure the performance guys can chime in to assist you. Good luck. Rob in PA.

Comment

For the trans, I'd put it in low gear and turn the output shaft one revolution. If the input shaft turns about 2 and a half times, it's a wide ratio (2.54 low). If it turns about 2 and a quarter times, it's a close ratio (2.20 low)
        Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
        X