• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• save this R1 in NJ

found on C.R.

64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
    Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

If that's a genuine SuperHawk, it deserves to be saved as it's one rare bird. I wish I was in a position to make an offer. I hope someone does.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

1964 Hawk #64V15220 was indeed built as a full-package Super Hawk: R1 / Powershift, Bermuda Brown with Brown Vinyl Interior and Reclining Seats.

Shipped to Babylon NY and fairly plain otherwise; no power steering and just manual-tune radio, Climatizer, whitewall tires, wheel covers, and undercoat! 'Surprising that it even had reclining seats.

Come to think of it, that might have been one of the lowest-sticker-price Super Hawks built in 1964; a real oddity, but a real Super Hawk, too.

As near as can figure it, it probably came in under $4,000 on the sticker: I compute an MSRP of $3,879.28 plus freight, since I don't know what the freight would have been.

I doubt that freight would have bumped the MSRP over $4,000, however, so this car had to be one few genuine Super Hawks with a sticker under $4,000...maybe the only one, for all we know. BP
      Last edited by BobPalma; 01-14-2014, 04:55 AM. Reason: added pricing information
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Come to think of it, that might have been one of the lowest-sticker-price Super Hawks built in 1964; a real oddity, but a real Super Hawk, too.
        But LESS WEIGHT in an R-series can be an advantage!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          But LESS WEIGHT in an R-series can be an advantage! Craig
          Uh-oh, and it is Bermuda Brown.

'Better not tell cousin George Krem, eh? BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

....just curious.... what's that irregular "cut" in the bell housing near the mounting holes ??

Comment

Golly, I just noticed the asking price: $3,500.

If you could inventory 'most everything being there with it, it's gotta be worth that money all day long. Gee... BP

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                ....just curious.... what's that irregular "cut" in the bell housing near the mounting holes ??
                Not really irregular, just not cleaned up from the casting. The automatic transmissions use air cooling of the torque-converter and that is a vent hole. Being a power-shift it probably also had cooler lines to the radiator.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Uh-oh, and it is Bermuda Brown.

'Better not tell cousin George Krem, eh? BP

I have a hard time saying Brown after Bermuda.. Should have been "Bermuda Blue" and maybe "Plain Brown"
                Last edited by SScopelli; 01-14-2014, 06:48 AM.

Comment

I wish it was a little closer I could go take a look if anyone was interested but it's a little too far south for me.

Comment

64 super hawk it needs to be saved and looks to be a good investment for the price, like so many people on the east coast always say if it was not so far away it would e in my garage now, well here it is on the east coast why is it still on the CL???
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

I'd sure like a GT Hawk.
                      I'm just not at a place to make it happen right now
                      Not studes right now

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                        64 super hawk it needs to be saved and looks to be a good investment for the price, like so many people on the east coast always say if it was not so far away it would e in my garage now, well here it is on the east coast why is it still on the CL???
                        Right on Bob. My thoughts exactly. Step up East Coasters. Save this car. Its the cheapest Super Hawk you'll ever see. And one of the most fun to drive.
                        sals54

Comment

You know how many '64 Bermuda Brown Hawks are floating around? For that matter, you know how many '64 Bermuda Brown R1 Hawks are floating around? I only know of one of the regular Hawks in that color, and the owner is in our Chapter!
                          Don't let the color fool you, it's a really sharp color on that car, so somebody needs to pick up this car and finish the restoration!
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

John, I don't know why it hasn't been snapped up. 60 cars produced approx. 20 left. If I hadn't bought Joe Zeiger's R 1 (better colour scheme) that Hawk would be on its way to OZ by now.
                            Brian Greenall
                            Melbourne, OZ
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                              You know how many '64 Bermuda Brown Hawks are floating around? For that matter, you know how many '64 Bermuda Brown R1 Hawks are floating around?
                              Here's its California counterpart: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=bermuda+super

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X