Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best original 1953 Starliner you will ever see.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best original 1953 Starliner you will ever see.......

We were very lucky to purchase and import this beautiful original car at the 2012 South Bend meet. Having traveled just 46,034 miles, with 90% original paint, excellent original Cardinal Red cloth trim, factory power steering and tinted glass. We have done some very careful detailing since then and just added the wire wheel covers, period correct Firestones and an N.O.S Strat-o-line exhaust extension. Even the factory chalk inspection marks are still visible.

We took a ride this afternoon over some rough pavement in my street and I can tell you that there is not a single rattle in this car. The doors shut like they should, even the 'flippers' click over neatly.

Having read about all the production problems Studebaker had with the early '53 coupes, I find this absolutely amazing. The paint looks pretty good for 60 years of age and the panel alignment is better than most restored cars.

But the real interesting thing about it was that the first owner was a Mr Henry Just. We have been trying to figure out who this and we have surmised that he was a ranking Studebaker employee. There is a 'hand written' sentence on the original production order referencing 'Vance'. Hopefully we can get some more information on this from the Museum.

Chris.

Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1742233Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1742234Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1742235Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1742236Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1742232
    Last edited by stude dude; 01-18-2014, 04:11 PM.

Very nice car. Why not post a copy of the production order?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I will as soon as I have a loan of it to scan. The new owner is understandably very protective of his artifacts!

Chris.

Comment

lovely car!
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I've always thought the wires make it look expensive, but for looks give me the regular hubcaps or the tri bar caps. Not to take anything away from the looks of the car, It is beautiful.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Very pretty...an a rare combination of options and non-options: I wonder what percentage of Commanders with Automatic Drive were delivered without a radio. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That car is very nice! Now lets see a few photos of it with all four windows lowered, since it is a hardtop!!

Craig

Comment

Amazing! That's got to be one of one in the world.

I have seen lesser Studes survivors of that caliber, but never a 53 Starliner. Quite special.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

It is unusual for a 1953 Regal Starliner to have cloth seats. The vinyl seat upholstery was a no cost option. All 1953 Starliners that I have owned or remember had either vinyl or leather seats. Maybe this Starliner was originaly from a hot area.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is hard to be sure on a computer screen, but the car appears to be Coral Red bottom and Monterey Beige top.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                      We were very lucky to purchase and import this beautiful original car at the 2012 South Bend meet. Having traveled just over 60,000 miles, with 90% original paint, excellent original Cardinal Red cloth trim, factory power steering and tinted glass. We have done some very careful detailing since then and just added the wire wheel covers, period correct Firestones and an N.O.S Strat-o-line exhaust extension. Even the factory chalk inspection marks are still visible.

We took a ride this afternoon over some rough pavement in my street and I can tell you that there is not a single rattle in this car. The doors shut like they should, even the 'flippers' click over neatly.

Having read about all the production problems Studebaker had with the early '53 coupes, I find this absolutely amazing. The paint looks pretty good for 60 years of age and the panel alignment is better than most restored cars.

But the real interesting thing about it was that the first owner was a Mr Henry Just. We have been trying to figure out who this and we have surmised that he was a ranking Studebaker employee. There is a 'hand written' sentence on the original production order referencing 'Vance'. Hopefully we can get some more information on this from the Museum.

Chris.
                      That car is truly amazing. I have owned my '53 Starliner since 1966 and I have looked at a LOT of them over the years- never have seen one that pristine. And, NO RATTLES!!
                      I can't tell for sure, but it may be a very late '53 and maybe they had their act together better by then. It may also have been built in the Vernon plant. If the inside of the trunk is body color, it's a Vernon car. Loma Gray- South Bend.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Very pretty...an a rare combination of options and non-options: I wonder what percentage of Commanders with Automatic Drive were delivered without a radio. BP
                        I think back then many Studebakers were ordered without options that a dealer could install. My Starliner was built with only options that the dealer couldn't reasonably add (except wheel covers). The original owner added push button radio w/wind-up antenna, clock, windshield washers, combination spotlight/rear view mirror, backup lights and some aftermarket accessories. I subsequently added the wire wheel covers, rear speaker, cigar lighter, glove box light, trunk light, fog lights and exhaust extension.
                        Attached Files
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          The 1953 Commander Regal Starliner that I knew since new and purchased from the original owners was an Automatic Drive and no radio from the factory. The dealer put in a Motorola radio that appeared like a factory unit. This was very common in the 1950s.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Tri-star emblems? Can't tell for sure but the horn button sure is. The change happened in the June/July time frame I think. My May assembled '53 is a tri-star.

It is unusual for a 1953 Regal Starliner to have cloth seats. The vinyl seat upholstery was a no cost option. All 1953 Starliners that I have owned or remember had either vinyl or leather seats. Maybe this Starliner was originaly from a hot area.
                            Maybe this was more likely for Commanders? My '53K Champion was cloth and I've seen a few others or pulled parts from some in old junkyards. There is/was a "ringer" to my car in a local yard (same colors and interior) except being a commander. These were in the MN area.

Jeff in ND

Comment

What a beauty! Definitely one of most beautiful 53's out there. And with my favorite color combination.
                              Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                              jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X