PDA

View Full Version : Turning Wheels race reports

j.byrd
01-11-2014, 07:48 PM
This is to Bob Palma and Ted Harbit primarily, but I hope everyone else enjoyed the race reports from them in the Jan. T. W. that we just got today "over here". You guys did a great job (as well as the competitors and photographers), and I just wanted to say thanks.
We are trying to get a race complex approved to be built here on the "dry side" of our island, and Karen and I as well as the other local gear-heads around here that love racing appreciate articles like this and make us hope even more for ours to happen. ( see Hemmings blog http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/01/08/kona-motorsport-park-proposed-for-hawaiis-big-island/?refer=news ) If it does, Hawaii is a great vacation site, and you could bring over your cars too ! Well, at least come and watch, ha ! We have always raced anything we drive, of course the Avanti was one of the most fun, usually running in the 10.2 to 10.6 range in the 1/8th, and we really miss racing. I have went to the Hilo track 3 times, and it was rained out all 3 times - - oh well. Makes me want to go out and kick lava... Seriously, great articles and thanks again. Turning Wheels is SUCH a neat magazine anyway, but articles like this keep it over the top. jb

BobPalma
01-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Hi, John; thanks for your kind words. :)

I guess I had never considered motor sports pursuits in Hawaii. Are you saying there are currently no racing venues in Hawaii? :o Interesting...and suprising.

Thanks again. BP

j.byrd
01-12-2014, 12:40 AM
Hey Bob, you're welcome sir. BUT.... I wasn't plain enough. There is a racing facility here on the Big Island, about 100 miles from us, in Hilo which is "the wet side" as the locals say.( where it got rained out the three times I went) The islands of Maui and Oahu have some facilities, not sure how many or what all different kinds though, and I don't know about the other islands. Karen flew over the drag strip on Maui and brought back pictures, and I went to an SCCA event once on Oahu. There is a big "car" culture here on each of the islands though, which really surprised me. You may not have noticed a while back, but in someones thread I was talking about and believe I included some pics of the local Studebakers here in our community. There's a GT Hawk, an Avanti, a 54 coupe, a 53 coupe, a Lark, a Transtar, and a non-running bullet nose all close. Even more on the other side and the other islands. Neat place, lotsa' cars, friendly people, dry, and WARM !!!! We just need a good facility on our side too, Ha ! Keep up the good work. jb

BobWaitz
01-12-2014, 12:05 PM
One more reason to head back to The Big Island! I saw this Lark in Kona a few years ago.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4044/4301845131_107f81ab34.jpg

j.byrd
01-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Bob W., I thought I posted this earlier this morning, but must have got excited and punched something else ! Looie the Lark is still here, I believe the owner of "Quinns almost by the sea" where your picture was taken owns it. He has had it on Craigslist 2 or 3 times and last time the price was considerably lower than his 1st ad. He is a nice guy, drives it very often, so if you want, I'll check the current price and status. THEN, you could buy it, put it in a storage locker till you get back here and cruise or race - - - yeah ??? jb

BobPalma
01-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Cool beans, John. Thanks for the follow-up information in Post #3. :) BP

roadster dave
01-12-2014, 08:20 PM
John B.
this is David B in Huntsville. Do you remember my shop in Limestone Co.? How in the world did you end up in Hawaii?

j.byrd
01-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Hey there Dave ! Still got the maroon Starlight (or business coupe ???) I believe we had the Sky Hawk and the 53 coupe when we met all of you Huntsville folks. ( I sure lusted after Irby's COE truck) We moved over here a little over 3 years ago. I always wanted to move "South and West", even as a cold child growing up in Tennessee, ha ! My wife got invited over by her cousin to help with a show and soon as she got here, called and said "we got to move to this place !" Well, that was a little farther than the California I had always dreamed of, but (in February) she said it was sunny and warm, so I said "want me there tonight or in the morning ?". It took us nearly 3 years of selling lots of "stuff", the house and land there in Al., buying a home here, and her finding a job (I'm semi-retired), but we made it. Only thing I don't like about it is that we didn't do it years before, ha ! Some of the folks in the Stude and AACA clubs there in Alabama got part of our goodies, but a lot went to other car and bike people, even quite a bit out of state ! If I had known about all the car and bike action and people here, we might have kept and brought more with us, but we have no regrets - - - well, perhaps that I haven't got another Studebaker yet, just an Anglia I found on Maui, and the old Mini that we brought with us, but I'm watching for one constantly that has my name on it (or that the owner will sell) ! While prep'n to move, we sold our '63 Avanti, a 48 street rod truck, two '50 model trucks, a 57 President, a Cruiser, a Champ, and some brand X's. We kinda' overdone it on vehicles of various types as well as other "things", but had built us a nice place on several acres and planned on being there the rest of our lives, ha ! Tell Nell, Randy, and the bunch hello for us. jb