PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Avanti R2 Restoration

Custom53
01-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Hello all.. Does anyone know of a reputable Avanti Restoration shop..?

Long story.. I inherited a 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 from my best friend since childhood after he passed away a few years ago.. This car has so many memories.. He had it in High School.. It was actually a High School Graduation Present back in 1971.. Too many stories to tell about us and this car..

Anyway, through the years it got neglected to the point where it sat in his garage for the last 20 years.. We always talked about restoring it and taking it on a long trip.. Route 66 maybe.. Around 2002 or so we opened a Pizza Shop, but shortly after that I got out because I could work at my job and the Pizza shop.. The Shop started out great from day one and Donald (my buddy) started making good money.. Fast forward to 2008.. I had an accident at work that ended my career and doing much of anything else.. Donald was there every day for me.. Fast forward again to around 2011.. Donald had the money to actually have a Restoration Company start work on it.. After the first year went by, Donald passed away.. I then inherited the car.. After spending about $30k (this is where is gets embarrassing) I really don't have that kind of money.. I didn't see any progress being made on the car.. So I pulled it out and got the receipts that Donald had.. He had spent around $45K.. Get the picture..? We basically got raped from this company.. If anyone wants to know the name of this shop, to avoid, PM me.. It is in Grove City, Ohio.. So back to the original question.. I need to find someone that is qualified, reputable, and fairly priced to finish the car.. I did promise Donald that I would do this in his memory.. The frame and drive train is basically finished, It is ready for paint..

Can anyone recommend someone, preferably near Columbus, Ohio (midwest)..?

I apologize for the long sob story...

SN-60
01-11-2014, 09:50 AM
How about giving Bezhawk a call?

mbstude
01-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the Forum, that's a great story and you've got a great car to go along with it.

http://www.myersstudebaker.com/ The Myers have been around forever, and restore cars alongside their Avanti parts business.

or http://bezautoalchemy.com/ Brad is the man when it comes to restoring Avantis. It seriously doesn't get any better if you strive for absolute perfection.

Don't look any further. :)

swvalcon
01-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Mike Not sure if this allowed here But if you want to ship your car all the way to Mn I would be more than happy to work on it for you. Pm me if interested. Steve

Custom53
01-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys..!! I have heard of Myers, they are fairly close to me.. And I have already contacted bexautoalchemy.. Thanks again...!31287

SN-60
01-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Mike Not sure if this allowed here But if you want to ship your car all the way to Mn I would be more than happy to work on it for you. Pm me if interested. Steve

It definitely allowed.....Thanks for the info!

55s
01-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Believe me, you are not the only persons that have been taken in by a body shop - there are many scammers out there. There have been several overpriced partial restorations reported on this site.

Typically, cars are completely dismantled, parts are lost, minimal actual work is done, bills keep escalating as they look for hard-to-find parts (not!), and they are working on several cars at once. The only way to keep them in line is have detailed work lists and pay for work done, not promised.

Good luck with your project!

woodysrods
01-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Not to disagree here or to defend the shop that worked on the Avanti. But as a Restoration Shop owner for the past 20 years, I can tell you that to do a car properly, it must be totally disassembled. And no shop can work on just one project at a time, as most customers cannot afford the kind of money each day costs, unless they have the total cost of the restoration saved and are willing to pay up front. Unfortunately it will cost more to do it this way. As when you have multiple projects you can save the customer money by lumping processes together to cut down on set up, clean up, and transport times that most people don't think about. ie. Priming, sandblasting, powder coating, etc,
Also most people that have to have someone else do the work DON'T usually have any idea as to how much time really goes into a Professional Restoration!
And how many times each individual piece of that car is actually touched as it goes through the restoration process.
Yes, there are some Bad shops out there, but most of the stories you here are from disgruntled customers that either failed to do their homework, changed their minds 20 times during the build, or had no clue as to what the final cost was going to be.
A little rule we use is that it is probably going to cost "Twice" as much as the customer Thought" it was going to cost, and "Three Times" as much as he or she "Hoped" it was going to cost.
Good Luck with your search....hope you can find someone you can trust. Remember it is all about good communication! If you really want to know what is going in to your restoration.
Good Roads
Brian

JBOYLE
01-11-2014, 11:55 AM
I'd also suggest contacting Mike Baker in Indiana. He's a past president of Avanti club, really knows Avantis and does very nice work. Also, he's a nice guy.

Mike Baker
Avanti Restoration & Service, Inc
3053 W US 40
Greenfield, IN 46140
877-349-1053

You're pointed in the right direction if you give Myers, Bezhawk and Baker a call. Talk to all three and work with the shop you're most comfortable with.
In a big restoration, remember experience, trust and communications (be sure you're on the same page) are as important (probably more so) than price.

My main recommendation would be to use someone with Avanti experience...you don't want to pay a restoration shop their hourly rates while they learn about Avanti and Studebaker nuances.

55s
01-11-2014, 01:58 PM
I agree with the body shop comments made above. There is nothing wrong with good bodywork people doing well, and I can understand that economies of scale can cheapen the process.

I also would agree that there are some Studebaker only peculiarities - I have head many horror stories where the repair or body shop was not familiar with Studebakers, or tried to source parts without knowing that there are many connections within this excellent club. The cost of belonging to this club and the local chapters more than pays for itself through the sourcing of reasonably-priced parts, experienced Studebaker labour, and experienced Studebaker advice on this forum.

bezhawk
01-12-2014, 09:29 AM
I have responded by Email, thanks everyone for the recommendations. I have been busy holding down the fort as my wife is up helping with the kids as a new Grand daughter is about to join the world!

SASCO KID
01-12-2014, 11:33 AM
I am deeply sorry to hear of your friend's passing and your difficulties with getting the Avanti restored. I delivered auto parts
as a kid in South End of Columbus. I do remember seeing a turquoise Avanti on South High Street about that time, but memory is dim. Anyway, I am in Arizona now, still have a body man buddy in Columbus, he completed my 1963 GT Hawk and
1963 Daytona Convert in the 1980's. Did excellent work. He doesn't have a shop anymore, but might recommend a place.
His name is Terry Morey, 614-866-7988. Tell him Keith in Arizona said to call him. He is a good guy, and will maybe have a shop he knows is trustworthy. AVANTI, SEMPER AVANTI!

swvalcon
01-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Custom53 I'am all for a restoration shop making a nice profit and getting paid what they are worth. That said if between the two of you there has been $75,000 spent on an Avanti and it's not completely done and one of the nicest cars ever seen anywhere. It's time to look for a good lawyer and hold these people accountable for what they are tring to pull off. They need to be in jail not working in the restoration feild giving everyone else a bad name.

Custom53
02-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Not to disagree here or to defend the shop that worked on the Avanti. But as a Restoration Shop owner for the past 20 years, I can tell you that to do a car properly, it must be totally disassembled. And no shop can work on just one project at a time, as most customers cannot afford the kind of money each day costs, unless they have the total cost of the restoration saved and are willing to pay up front. Unfortunately it will cost more to do it this way. As when you have multiple projects you can save the customer money by lumping processes together to cut down on set up, clean up, and transport times that most people don't think about. ie. Priming, sandblasting, powder coating, etc,
Also most people that have to have someone else do the work DON'T usually have any idea as to how much time really goes into a Professional Restoration!
And how many times each individual piece of that car is actually touched as it goes through the restoration process.
Yes, there are some Bad shops out there, but most of the stories you here are from disgruntled customers that either failed to do their homework, changed their minds 20 times during the build, or had no clue as to what the final cost was going to be.
A little rule we use is that it is probably going to cost "Twice" as much as the customer Thought" it was going to cost, and "Three Times" as much as he or she "Hoped" it was going to cost.
Good Luck with your search....hope you can find someone you can trust. Remember it is all about good communication! If you really want to know what is going in to your restoration.
Good Roads
Brian

I, as a rule, don't bash on someones work.. I used to do this type of thing for many years.. Not so much as restoration projects, but have taken a lot of cars from near junk to a very nice car..
I do know what it takes, that is why I know, for a fact, that I was getting screwed.. I have rebuilt motors, painted cars, modded a few.. Here is a picture of my last project.. Although many years ago,
It still cost me a fraction of what I was getting charged for the Avanti.. I did keep an eye on the progress of the Avanti and no, the work and the billing did not add up..

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z135/custom53_photos/Automobles/My%20Autos/73-Corvette_edited-1.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/custom53_photos/media/Automobles/My%20Autos/73-Corvette_edited-1.jpg.html)

Custom53
02-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Custom53 I'am all for a restoration shop making a nice profit and getting paid what they are worth. That said if between the two of you there has been $75,000 spent on an Avanti and it's not completely done and one of the nicest cars ever seen anywhere. It's time to look for a good lawyer and hold these people accountable for what they are tring to pull off. They need to be in jail not working in the restoration feild giving everyone else a bad name.

I have been contemplating contacting a lawyer, but unless the "legal system" understands what it takes for this type of work, I'm not sure if I could win.. And you're are right, this guy should be in jail..!

Custom53
02-05-2014, 04:12 PM
I am deeply sorry to hear of your friend's passing and your difficulties with getting the Avanti restored. I delivered auto parts
as a kid in South End of Columbus. I do remember seeing a turquoise Avanti on South High Street about that time, but memory is dim. Anyway, I am in Arizona now, still have a body man buddy in Columbus, he completed my 1963 GT Hawk and
1963 Daytona Convert in the 1980's. Did excellent work. He doesn't have a shop anymore, but might recommend a place.
His name is Terry Morey, 614-866-7988. Tell him Keith in Arizona said to call him. He is a good guy, and will maybe have a shop he knows is trustworthy. AVANTI, SEMPER AVANTI!

That is so funny..! I live right around the corner from the Turquoise Avanti..! And the guy still has it.. I have never met him yet, but I will soon.. I wanted to look his over it could help me a lot ..
And I will keep Terry Morel's number.. Thanks..!

PackardV8
02-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Sorry for your personal and financial losses. Donald got taken and you inherited the on-going problem.

Yes, $75,000 would buy most any of the best R2 Avantis out there.

No, none of those would be your best friend's car which has so many memories for you.

Maybe, now that you have three trusted builders from which to choose, you can finally get it done.

jack vines

rkapteyn
02-05-2014, 08:43 PM
The nicest restored turquoise Avanti came from DELUXE AUTOWERKS in West Chicago IL.
At the 2002 National meet in South Bend 5 of the trophy winners were restored by DELUXE AUTOWERKS. http://deluxeautowerks.com.
Highly recommended!!

Robert Kapteyn

Custom53
02-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Sorry for your personal and financial losses. Donald got taken and you inherited the on-going problem.

Yes, $75,000 would buy most any of the best R2 Avantis out there.

No, none of those would be your best friend's car which has so many memories for you.

Maybe, now that you have three trusted builders from which to choose, you can finally get it done.

jack vines

Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment..