Avanti Operation Air Lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Operation Air Lift

Doing some research for a friend. Does anyone know the serial number of the White Studebaker Avanti used for Operation Airlift? Does anyone have color photos of the car and especially its interior color? Any help greatly appreciated.
    John Hull

John: I have a set of 8 photographs taken by Mr. H. Barr of the Avanti Ltd. Chapter at Butler Field in San Fran. The White car had the orange interior. The Gold car had the tan interior. I do not have serial number info. Stupak

Comment

Would it be possible to have them copied or scanned and sent to me. I will pay all costs involved. They are very important to the project I'm working on. You can email me direct at avantifromct@aol.com

Thanks in advance.
      John Hull

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
        John: I have a set of 8 photographs taken by Mr. H. Barr of the Avanti Ltd. Chapter at Butler Field in San Fran. The White car had the orange interior. The Gold car had the tan interior. I do not have serial number info. Stupak
        The white car was probably the typical 'creamsickle' Avanti....as so many of the early ones were.

Comment

Craig

Comment

stupak & Bill Pressler please contact me about the color photos you have regarding Operation Airlift. Email: avantifromct@aol.com Cell: 727-656-2868
            John Hull

Comment

The crew that was assigned the job of flying around the country showing these wild cars must have had an absolute BLAST!!!

Comment

They sure may have, but supposedly the carrier (which was a subsidiary of Studebaker) grounded the plane in one city until payment came through from Studebaker for fuel. If that's true, Studebaker's financial position must have been more precarious than anyone knew.

That could have been a very boring wait on the flight line waiting for gas money! Maybe they drove the cars around for fun while waiting, though not likely as that would have required unloading the cars and reloading and re-securing them again.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I was at the Los Angeles Area Dealer Showing/Tour at Burbank Airport.
                  The White Avanti was a Standard Interior Perforated Tangerine Vinyl, R1 Power Shift.

The Gold car was the R2 4 Speed, Fawn Interior and let me tell you that Paxton really whistled and it hauled A$$!
                  I still have the giveaway Avanti Bleacher cushion.

It appears that the City that got these two Avantis may have gotten the Gold R2 4 Speed and a Maroon one?
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 01-14-2014, 05:27 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    I was at the Los Angeles Area Dealer Showing/Tour at Burbank Airport.
                    The White Avanti was a Standard Interior Perforated Tangerine Vinyl, R1 Power Shift.

The Gold car was the R2 4 Speed, Fawn Interior and let me tell you that Paxton really whistled and it hauled A$$!
                    I still have the giveaway Avanti Bleacher cushion.

It appears that the City that got these two Avantis may have gotten the Gold R2 4 Speed and a Maroon one?
                    The Avanti inside the plane is probably white Rich...bad lighting .

Comment

John: I replied to your PM on Thurs at 10:32AM as - 'John: I apologize for the slow response. I do not frequent the forum very often. Give me your address and I'll send you what I can ASAP. stupak' - I've been checking my PM reply box and you haven't responded. stupak

Comment

StudeRich: I have personal photos taken at Butler Field, San Fran that show the R2 badge on the White car and a PowerShift lever in the Gold car. I doubt that there were two different car combos being flown around the country. Is your memory a bit fuzzy??? stupak

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
                          StudeRich: I have personal photos taken at Butler Field, San Fran that show the R2 badge on the White car and a PowerShift lever in the Gold car. I doubt that there were two different car combos being flown around the country. Is your memory a bit fuzzy??? stupak
                          Well lets just say, I do not know the answer to that one, because I am a bit to close too my mind to tell perfect memory from "fuzzy" memory after 52 years. I simply do not know if I remember it correctly, I just know I remember it, LOL!
                          You know what they say: a Picture says a thousand words, let's see them!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

John & StudeRich: OK guys, here goes. I have NEVER scanned photos into my computer and have NEVER attached a photo on the forum. So....here are (hopefully) four photos, two for John (the White car) and two for StudeRich (The Gold car). stupak (I don't see the pictures I attached prior to sending. I'll send and see what happens. Hooray, it worked.\
                            The first pic is the White car showing the Orange interior, the 2nd pic is the Gold car, the 3rd pic is the Gold car showing the Power Shifter, the 4th pic is the White car showing the R2 (Supercharged) badge on the front mid fender.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by stupak; 01-18-2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks Stupak. Just curious was the remaining 4 pics of the gold car?
                              John Hull

Comment

Working...
                              X