PDA

View Full Version : hawk seat covers

swvalcon
01-10-2014, 11:12 AM
I've looked for a ready to go set of seat covers that would fit my gt hawk and no one seams to make them. Southwest shows a package deal for $2500 and I had a price from my upholstery guy to do the whole car ready to drive out the door for $3000. But no one seams to be doing a CASO set any where. Anyone have any luck with seat covers.

57pack
01-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Studebaker International has a seat cover set/kit for $1121.00

unclemiltie
01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I sure miss Autorcraft interiors like several vendors sold. Lebaron bonney bought them out and it appears there covers are not near $1000 a pair. I used autocraft in several hawks and was very happy with the product

ken-renda
01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
I've looked for a ready to go set of seat covers that would fit my gt hawk and no one seams to make them. Southwest shows a package deal for $2500 and I had a price from my upholstery guy to do the whole car ready to drive out the door for $3000. But no one seams to be doing a CASO set any where. Anyone have any luck with seat covers.

I have bought and installed several kits from SOUTHEAST, (used to be Phantom) in Knoxville ranging from 1954 to 1963 hard top cars. All have been top quality and were easy to install BUT I could not install the top (back) part of the front seat for the GT Hawks. In two cases local upholsters did it and in one case the back of the front seats were sent back to have Southeast do it. Ken, Deltaville, Va

RadioRoy
01-10-2014, 04:21 PM
The key is the CASO requirement. There are precious few things out there any more that meet CASO price points.

pbrown
01-10-2014, 05:09 PM
I've been toying with the idea of having a set made by these people: http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/seatcovers.htm

If you select "Studebaker Only" and then "Seat Covers" you can then specify what you would like.

Looks like a set of front and rears could be as low as $420 - that's close to CASO money, I'd say!

larkregal62
01-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Try Jim Lawrence From Martinsville WV he does EXCELLENT work and is really reasonable. Give him a call at304-337-8693. Jim will also be at the Studebaker York Swap Meet Mar 6,7,8, 2014

pbrown
01-10-2014, 05:25 PM
And am I missing something about LeBaron Bonney's cheap stuff? I went to https://www.lebaronbonney.com/cart/seat_covers.php

and speced in a very basic front/rear set for my 59 Hawk and it came in at $319.20! Of course, if you pick enough options, it looks like you can double the price.

Is there something undesirable about these sets from LeBaron Bonney?

LarkTruck
01-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Try Jim Lawrence From Martinsville WV he does EXCELLENT work and is really reasonable. Give him a call at304-337-8693. Jim will also be at the Studebaker York Swap Meet Mar 6,7,8, 2014

Sorry to say Jim is no longer doing Studebaker interiors.:(
JS

larkregal62
01-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Jim, Just talked to Bob Sheaffer and he is still coming to York as far as we are aware. Why would that be if he is no longer doing Studebakers?? Or do you know something Bob and I don't?? Gordon

LarkTruck
01-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Jim, Just talked to Bob Sheaffer and he is still coming to York as far as we are aware. Why would that be if he is no longer doing Studebakers?? Or do you know something Bob and I don't?? Gordon

Gordon, It is way too deep to get into here. I know he had a very bad 2013 profit wise. He is still making items for a large Stude Vendor, and I imagine he still has a fair amount of his own stock items to dispose of. I will let Jim tell you "the rest of the story" as the late great Paul Harvey would say.
Jim

larkregal62
01-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks for heads up, Jim S perhaps swvalcon should still call Jim L. I know he did quite a few GT Hawk seats and just might have something in stock. Sounds like a real loss to us Stude people. Gordon

candbstudebakers
01-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Steve what color? I think I have a set in Black.

swvalcon
01-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Need a set in red Bob. My guy over in WI will do the whole car headliner, door panles, seats, carpet, package tray, and trunk all installed for $ 3000. But he's booked untill sometime this next summer so I thought I would get the carpet from SI and just put on some cheap slip on seat covers for this year. I found some universal wool types may have to use those.

LarkTruck
01-11-2014, 05:54 AM
Thanks for heads up, Jim S perhaps swvalcon should still call Jim L. I know he did quite a few GT Hawk seats and just might have something in stock. Sounds like a real loss to us Stude people. Gordon

A GREAT LOSS indeed Gordon. Jim L. recently did a seat and armrests for my neighbors M Series we are building-BEAUTIFUL! I know we still have Rene' Harger, but he is swamped with work, ok if you can afford the wait time, but some people need interiors sooner.
Jim S.

ken-renda
01-11-2014, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=pbrown;812024]And am I missing something about LeBaron Bonney's cheap stuff? I went to https://www.lebaronbonney.com/cart/seat_covers.php

and speced in a very basic front/rear set for my 59 Hawk and it came in at $319.20! Of course, if you pick enough options, it looks like you can double the price.

Is there something undesirable about these sets from LeBaron Bonney?[/QUOTE

Many years ago I bought a cheap set of GT Hawk seat covers from a vendor no longer in business. They were about $100 less than any body else BUT it turned out to be the most expensive set ever. Why? Because it did not include the pouch on the back of the front seats and did not include the strips sewn into the bottom of the seats that allows the covers to be pulled down into the foam to give the appearance of a deep "bucket" seat. To compensate for this I had to find additional vinyl (with matching color and GRAIN) and have an upholsterer make the pouch and sew it and the strips (under the bottom of the front seats). My advice is to go with someone who specializes in Sudebaker, uses quality vinyl, and will stand behind the product. Ken, Deltaville , Va

swvalcon
01-11-2014, 12:47 PM
For any one in the Wi area or someone who wants to ship. Check out Dan's work on [hotrodders.com] in the interrior's heading he's under Dan Twolakes does real nice work. Thats why I would like to wait and have him do the work.