PDA

View Full Version : Even with the supercharger missing...

BobPalma
01-09-2014, 08:30 AM
...this Clipper would have to be terrible underneath to not be worth in the neighborhood of the asking price...and it is stick overdrive with radio blank-out plate! :woot: Cool beans: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/clipper/1592185.html?refer=news (http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/clipper/1592185.html?refer=news)

PackardV8
01-09-2014, 10:30 AM
If it were the wagon body style, then it would really be worth the money.

jack vines

studeski
01-09-2014, 10:33 AM
I like that! It even has a battery hold down!!!

candbstudebakers
01-09-2014, 10:40 AM
If I were ever to want another 4 door the 57 Clipper would be the one I would go for, when fixed up right there is nothing better looking front ,side, or rear also the dash is very nice but pad work can be a problem, why oh why did I ever git rid of the one I had????

Bill Pressler
01-09-2014, 11:07 AM
...this Clipper would have to be terrible underneath to not be worth in the neighborhood of the asking price...and it is stick overdrive with radio blank-out plate! :woot: Cool beans: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/clipper/1592185.html?refer=news (http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/clipper/1592185.html?refer=news)

I believe I know the fellow from the Canton area who owns/owned that car. I remember it being sharp.

For all the noise from Packard die-hards about these cars not being real 'Packards', my bet is this would bring more money than an earlier '50's Clipper four-door in similar condition, based on a few years of looking on eBay.

BobPalma
01-09-2014, 11:23 AM
I like that! It even has a battery hold down!!!

Oh, Claude; you noticed...how romantic...:D BP

BobPalma
01-09-2014, 11:26 AM
I believe I know the fellow from the Canton area who owns/owned that car. I remember it being sharp.

For all the noise from Packard die-hards about these cars not being real 'Packards', my bet is this would bring more money than an earlier '50's Clipper four-door in similar condition, based on a few years of looking on eBay.

No doubt about that, Bill...after all, it is more "Studebaker" than "Packard," and there are more than three times as many SDC members as there are Packard Automobile Classics members. ;) BP

raoul5788
01-09-2014, 11:56 AM
If it were the wagon body style, then it would really be worth the money.

jack vines

In this condition, I'm thinking you would have to nearly double that price for a wagon.

raoul5788
01-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Is it Don Keller's?

studegary
01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I think that it is neat that they picture it with the rear door vent windows open. We know that they open, but most wouldn't.

I believe that this dealer sells a lot on consignment. It may still be owned by the guy that people here know.

raoul5788
01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Is it Don Keller's?

I have found out that it's not Don's.

acolds
01-09-2014, 04:20 PM
That price is less than my paint and seats cost . Would make a nice brother for mine another car could lead to problems in my home life

Bill Pressler
01-09-2014, 05:06 PM
I have found out that it's not Don's.

I thought it was Don's. Guess not.

SN-60
01-09-2014, 05:30 PM
It sure would be easy to restore the supercharger to this '57 Clipper.

1962larksedan
01-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Still looks like a 'Packard' to me despite it being based on the Studebaker President Classic. :)

WinM1895
01-09-2014, 06:24 PM
1948/52's are not Clippers, the name was dropped at the end of the 1947 model run, then Nance resurrected it in 1953, using it to replace the 200 'price leader.'

A friend of mine was a sales manager for Earle C. Anthony in Los Angeles. When I sold his son a minty 1950 Deluxe 8 4 door (for 500 bucks-this was a while ago), he said people starved trying to sell these cars (1948/50's), which are known as bathtubs, pregnant elephants.

Tom McCahill, after road testing a 1948, called it a goat.

btw: The sales manager was in the USN during WWII and was JFK's PT Boat Squadron Commander, Lt. Alvin Cluster.

btw, part II: I'm a Packard die-hard from way back, but have owned two Packabakers, similar '57 Clipper sedan (also missing the supercharger) and a minty '58 H/T.

I lapped the track at Ontario Motor Speedway in the '58. PI had a gtg there, I showed up with this thing, which I had just bought, p!ssing a few people off. Where's your '39 Super 8 they asked.

The plan was to line up on the track behind the pace car, then follow it around the track. The pace car pulled off after one lap, but no one else did!

It was WILD, with people driving their cars, some at WOT additional laps. The officials were trying to wave people off, didn't work. Finally the pace car reappeared, got things back to order. It was amazing that there were no accidents, no engine blew up.

Bill Pressler
01-09-2014, 06:28 PM
1948/52's are not Clippers, the name was dropped at the end of the 1947 model run, then Nance resurrected it in 1953, using it to replace the 200.

A friend of mine was a sales manager for Earle C. Anthony in Los Angeles. When I sold his son a minty 1950 Deluxe 8 4 door (for 500 bucks-this was a while ago), he said people starved trying to sell these cars, which are known as bathtubs, pregnant elephants.

Tom McCahill, after road testing a 1948, called it a goat.

btw: The sales manager was in the USN during WWII and was JFK's PT Boat Squadron Commander, Lt. Alvin Cluster.

"Earlier fifties" = '53-56.

I believe this '57 would bring more than '53-56 Clipper four-doors in the same condition.

WinM1895
01-09-2014, 07:08 PM

I believe this '57 would bring more than '53-56 Clipper four-doors in the same condition.
Not from a die hard Packard nut it wouldn't.

These Packabakers are actually very good cars, far better mechanically than 1955/56's Packards and Clippers.

The move to the former Briggs body plant on Conner Avenue was a disaster. 1955's suffered terribly from quality control issues that the dealers had to fix.

Then there was Twin-Ultramatic, the worst terd of an A/T foisted on mankind, even worse than FoMoCo's A4LD and that's saying something.

BobPalma
01-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Agreed, Bill; see Post #7.

It takes the nicest 1953-1956 Clipper 4-door in the world to break into five figures, I'm sorry to say; 'much as I like them. :(

They are awfully nice cars and if you get one with all the mechanicals sorted out, they can't be beat for pure comfort. :) BP

raoul5788
01-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Not from a die hard Packard nut it wouldn't.

These Packabakers are actually very good cars, far better mechanically than 1955/56's Packards and Clippers. The 1955's suffered terribly from quality control issues that the dealers had to fix.

Then there was Twin-Ultramatic, the worst terd of an A/T foisted on the public, even worse than FoMoCo's A4LD and that's saying something.

I doubt many die hard Packard fans would be interested in a Packardbaker.

Dick Steinkamp
01-09-2014, 07:13 PM
I don't think you'd ever find another (semi) original one like this for the same money.

It's a great time of the year to BUY a car, and a lousy time to SELL one ;) I think the 53 hot rod in BC is in the same category as this car. A bargain! :cool:

The only downside I can see is the Salvidor Dali dashboard...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/The_Persistence_of_Memory.jpg

I wonder if you could pump it full of that expanding foam used to weatherproof houses.

WinM1895
01-09-2014, 07:26 PM
I doubt many die hard Packard fans would be interested in a Packardbaker.
No **** Sherlock! That's basically what I said in response to Bill Presslers remark that '57's would bring more loot than '53-56 Clipper 4 doors.

Studebaker peeps have loved these cars since day one, but most Packard peeps hate them. I've been a member of PI & PAC, SDC & SOCA, owned 60 Packards, 12 Studebakers, seen members reactions...which haven't changed much over the years.

I do recall a cover of PI's magazine that had a 1957 on it. I didn't read the letters to the editor in following issues, but I can guess what the reaction was.

I dunno what George Hamlin, a respected Packard historian, says about them, but he's also a dyed in the wool Studebaker nut.

1962larksedan
01-09-2014, 09:02 PM
In all fairness; what was considered to be a POS when new, frequently becomes worth having many years later. Nash Metropolitan comes to mind, 1957 Chevy (they weren't that well liked when new), a 1971-76 GM 'clamshell' tailgate SW, AMC Gremlin, and possibly the Pontiac Aztek later in the future...........

BobPalma
01-09-2014, 09:11 PM
In all fairness; what was considered to be a POS when new, frequently becomes worth having many years later. Nash Metropolitan comes to mind, 1957 Chevy (they weren't that well liked when new), a 1971-76 GM 'clamshell' tailgate SW, AMC Gremlin, and possibly the Pontiac Aztek later in the future...........

Boy, that is a BIG crystal ball you've got, Pierce, and doggone good eyesight! :lol: BP

bezhawk
01-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Since this is a Studebaker forum......who gives a crap what the Packard people think about the 57-58 Packards? Why bother to bring it up?
WE know they are worth more than early 50-s Clippers, probably because of the robust mechanicals. They can argue till the cows come home and that wont change . Besides, it has already been mentioned they wouldn't be interested. I don't get people who berate Studebakers, and promote their choice of cars here on a Studebaker forum!:confused: Do we go on Ford and Packard forums and trash talk them? I know I don't!

8E45E
01-10-2014, 06:57 AM

I suspect the Aztek will have the same popularity with car collectors in 20 years time the full size '71 - '76 GM wagon currently has...almost nil. I have seen maybe only one at a car show, and another is owned by a local rock band to haul their gear around in.

Craig

Bill Pressler
01-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Since this is a Studebaker forum......who gives a crap what the Packard people think about the 57-58 Packards? Why bother to bring it up?
WE know they are worth more than early 50-s Clippers, probably because of the robust mechanicals. They can argue till the cows come home and that wont change . Besides, it has already been mentioned they wouldn't be interested. I don't get people who berate Studebakers, and promote their choice of cars here on a Studebaker forum!:confused: Do we go on Ford and Packard forums and trash talk them? I know I don't!

My only statement was, these cars typically bring more than "real" Packard Clippers in similar condition. Whether anyone likes them or not, all one has to do is follow both on eBay for awhile to see what I'm talking about.

bezhawk
01-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Bill Pressler, I wasn't directing comments towards you. Sorry for it looking that way.

Bill Pressler
01-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Bill Pressler, I wasn't directing comments towards you. Sorry for it looking that way.

I know, yours was just the last I read in the string and replied...LOL.

Bob Bryant
01-10-2014, 01:44 PM
I don't think you'd ever find another (semi) original one like this for the same money. It's a great time of the year to BUY a car, and a lousy time to SELL one ;) I think the 53 hot rod in BC is in the same category as this car. A bargain! :cool:The only downside I can see is the Salvidor Dali dashboard...

I wonder if you could pump it full of that expanding foam used to weatherproof houses.

Small world. We have some Studebaker models and photos in my office We also like antique clocks and have that same Dali print on the wall...limp timepieces. If you are ever in St. Petersburg, FL the Dali Museum is worth a visit.

raoul5788
01-10-2014, 03:34 PM
I don't think you'd ever find another (semi) original one like this for the same money.

It's a great time of the year to BUY a car, and a lousy time to SELL one ;) I think the 53 hot rod in BC is in the same category as this car. A bargain! :cool:

The only downside I can see is the Salvidor Dali dashboard...

That might work Dick, but you would need a mold for the dash to expand to since I don't think the dash cover would hold the original shape. Plus, all of the ones I have seen are cracked as well as misshapen. That old vinyl is very thin compared to modern material.

SN-60
01-10-2014, 04:25 PM

As much as I enjoy Stick O/D Studebakers, In this high end Packard (Studebaker) I think that an automatic transmission would be a bit more appropriate. (A radio might be nice also!)

sals54
01-10-2014, 11:13 PM
If you need one of the Paxton Whirlygigs to make this thing go, PM me. I've got one sittin on my desk, lookin for a good home.