PDA

View Full Version : Stude's SB Closing @ January 8 SNM Symposium

BobPalma
01-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Heads Up: Forum members may be interested in acquiring a DVD of the Symposium conducted this afternoon (Wednesday, January 8) at The Studebaker National Museum:

Studebaker's Closing: Separating Fact from Fiction

The three panelists on the dias consisted of:

1. Bob Ebert, author of the new book on Harold Churchill and the Lark, and

2. Jack Colwell, The South Bend Tribune staff writer who wrote the Tribune's front-page story for Monday, December 9, 1963, under the headline: AUTO PRODUCTION TO END HERE: Studebaker to Build Cars in Canada, and

3. Yours Truly.

The Studebaker National Museum had been closed Monday and Tuesday due to the winter storm that had dumped a foot or more of snow and -15 degrees F temps on the upper two-thirds of Indiana Sunday afternoon and night. :QQ:

But Andy Beckman called late Tuesday afternoon from his home and said, "The show must go on! We are opening the museum tomorrow for the first time this week and want to have the Symposium as scheduled. Can you still make it?" :o

Travel throughout the upper two-thirds of Indiana stood still Monday and Tuesday, so I said I'd give it a shot since the below-zero temps were scheduled to moderate, and did. 'Left at 6:40AM and made it on time, too; the 155-mile trip from Brownsburg to The SNM usually takes a little over three hours, but took well over 4 hours today! (Andy said they'd have lunch for us presenters in the Board Room ahead of time. Smart-alek remarks about the extent to which I will pursue a free lunch will kindly be restrained!) ;)

Anyway, it was a great time and I learned as much as I dispensed; it was so interesting to hear Jack Colwell's discussion of how The Tribune came to "run" the story a day ahead of when the official announcement was to be made.

Grass Roots Media recorded the entire 90-minute Symposium, with Q & A from those attending. I don't know the particulars of when or how the DVD will be available, or the cost, so stay tuned for something from Andy or The Museum about that. I think it was pretty doggone interesting, and it moved fast enough that I hope nobody will doze off watching it. :woot: BP

Chris Pile
01-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Wish I could be there!

sweetolbob
01-08-2014, 08:33 PM
BP
If it's anywhere close to as interesting as the Avanti Bonneville forum last year, count me in for a copy. Glad they/you were able to pull it off.:)

Bob

BobPalma
01-08-2014, 08:37 PM
BP
If it's anywhere close to as interesting as the Avanti Bonneville forum last year, count me in for a copy. Glad they/you were able to pull it off.:) Bob

In my opinion, Bob; it is as interesting.

'Way different topic, of course, but we stayed on topic with many anecdotes from that turbulant time in South Bend...with a little humor thrown in as the opportunity presented itself. ;)

I have nothing to do with the production or sale (or money to be made, if any!) vis-a-vis the DVD, so just watch for information about it. :D BP

BobPalma
01-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Wish I could be there!

That's why the DVD was made, Chris; you can see and hear the entire event.

The only benefit to having been there was that you could have asked a question of any presenter if you so desired. (Andy Beckman made sure all questions were answered before concluding the event; nobody was cut off or cut short.) :) BP

Bill Pressler
01-09-2014, 04:52 AM
That's why the DVD was made, Chris; you can see and hear the entire event.

The only benefit to having been there was that you could have asked a question of any presenter if you so desired. (Andy Beckman made sure all questions were answered before concluding the event; nobody was cut off or cut short.) :) BP

Sounds great, Bob! I'll be buying the DVD. Sure could've used a 'mental health' day yesterday and gone out there, but the weather's been so shaky our way as well.

BobPalma
01-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Sounds great, Bob! I'll be buying the DVD. Sure could've used a 'mental health' day yesteray and gone out there, but the weather's been so shaky our way as well.

I hear you on the weather, Bill; I came close to turning around myself. The first part of my trip was horrible; it normally takes no more than 25 minutes to get from our house to the interchange of I-465 (around Indianapolis) and U.S. 31 North, to begin the formal northbound run to South Bend.

Yesterday, that 25-minute segment took exactly 75 minutes, during which I completed about 20 miles! :eek::eek:

I thought I would go as far north as Kokomo and then decide if I could make it to South Bend in time. People north of us are better-prepared for this much snowfall and cold. My "hunch" proved correct; the farther north I got, the better the roads were! :D

The streets in South Bend were in far better shape than those in Indianapollis, yet the same weather pattern had blanketed both muncipalities. There was simply no comparison, South Bend was so much better. 'Glad I "stuck it out," as it was a real nice day. :cool:

'Left for home immediately after the event (2:30 PM) and was home at 7:00 PM, including a stop at the do-it-yourself car wash here in Brownsburg to hose the slush and salt off the Impala before going three blocks home to my heated shop so it could dry overnight and not freeze up.

Quite a day overall, but well worth it. :D :!: BP

P.S. Knowing your penchant for this type of history, Bill; you will thoroughly enjoy the DVD.

Stu Chapman
01-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Good job Bob. I will want to obtain a DVD as soon as they're available. Sorry you have to share our lousy weather.

Stu Chapman

BobPalma
01-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Good job Bob. I will want to obtain a DVD as soon as they're available. Sorry you have to share our lousy weather. Stu Chapman

You and Gordon Grundy were mentioned more than once, Stu; always in a positive manner. :) BP