PDA

View Full Version : Turning Wheels January issue delivery

Stu Chapman
01-07-2014, 04:21 PM
It is fairly clear that most U.S. members received their January Turning Wheels prior to the end of December. Here in Canada, mine arrived yesterday, January 6th. It looks like we are maintaining pretty good postal delivery timing now. Would be good to hear how others are doing.

Stu Chapman

Drummerboy
01-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Haven't received mine here on the wet coast. Mind you, we don't have the weather conditions you do. :lol:

STEWDI
01-07-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm amazed the "posties" even delivered today considering the extremely cold conditions! Got the Union Gas bill, but not TW. :(

2R5
01-07-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm amazed the "posties" even delivered today considering the extremely cold conditions! Got the Union Gas bill, but not TW. :(

We'll I got neither, I didn't see a postman here , but hey they are an endangered species !

studebaker of lompoc
01-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Got mine yesterday!!

Warren Webb
01-08-2014, 01:22 AM
Mine came on Saturday the 4th.

junior
01-08-2014, 08:50 AM
still waiting in Calgary

raoul5788
01-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Mine also arrived yesterday here in CT.

fpstude
01-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Also waiting in Sacramento, but our roads are so bad here in California that they probably destroyed the postal vehicles.

acolds
01-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Neither my brother or I have recieved ours yet usually here by now may be the cold weather and transportation delays related to the latest cold spell

Pat Dilling
01-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Also waiting in Sacramento, but our roads are so bad here in California that they probably destroyed the postal vehicles.

Me too. Maybe today?

studebaker-R2-4-me
01-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Still waiting in Oakville. I doubt the "Postman" is even delivering due to the hazards of walking on shear ice 1/4" thick from the snow fall turning into freezing rain that is everywhere in town. I can't amagine the worker compensation claims that Canada Post would face in our region. On that note alone I did not receive any mail yesterday nor did I see a postman/woman at all. You can't even find bags of salt anywhere in town to reduce the hazards of walking to the car.

Allen

2R5
01-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Al , we have had our mail today and no TW yet .

R_David
01-08-2014, 11:16 AM
I got mine on Monday the 6th of January. But others near me got theirs sooner. Strange.

ddub
01-08-2014, 11:29 AM
If we had an electronic version we would all get it on the same day!

sasquatch
01-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Got mine January 3rd.

2moredoors
01-08-2014, 03:31 PM
I don't have mine yet, but I think maybe my postal delivery person is mad at me. I think when I do receive it, it will have a torn wrapper and be stuffed in my mailbox wet.

Stu Chapman
01-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Some rather interesting spreads in delivery time. For your information, TW went into the mail delivery system December 19th. Keep your reports coming.

Stu Chapman

jwikstro
01-09-2014, 05:11 AM
I am still waiting, but Sweden are fare avay......

sweetolbob
01-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Received mine Jan 7th which is unusually tardy. I usually get it much earlier. But in any case, well worth the wait.

Bob

studebaker-R2-4-me
01-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Still waiting in Oakville. I doubt the "Postman" is even delivering due to the hazards of walking on shear ice 1/4" thick from the snow fall turning into freezing rain that is everywhere in town. I can't amagine the worker compensation claims that Canada Post would face in our region. On that note alone I did not receive any mail yesterday nor did I see a postman/woman at all. You can't even find bags of salt anywhere in town to reduce the hazards of walking to the car.

Allen

I got mine minutes after I posted this comment. Seem Canada Post is still delivering despite the ice in the front of my house. NO Salt anywhere in town. The weather is going to break in the next day or two with unseasonal highs of 8 degrees celcius - 47 degree fahrenheit with more rain and the freeze up once again.

Allen

WCP
01-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Got mine today - not folded too!

stephenj
01-09-2014, 10:03 PM
No Turning Wheels or Antique Studebaker Review yet.

HAWK64
01-09-2014, 11:49 PM
On the international front I received my Jan TW issue today

stude dude
01-10-2014, 12:37 AM
Me too. Very nice.

Pitty the local mail guys can't read the DO NOT BEND message before they shove it into my mail box sideways!

Chris.

avantilover
01-10-2014, 02:40 AM
I received mine today also. Interesting to see that "someone" edited Jim Kranak's profile, whilst leaving the rest of them as written.

It's a shame that TW readers have been denied the opportunity to read "all" of Jim's submission, and I hope this won't affect the result in his Zone.

I'm not in the Zone and have no bias towards any candidate, it would have been better to have allocated the space required to print all submissions in their entirety.

Just my humble opinion.

stude dude
01-10-2014, 02:53 AM
I thought Jim's profile read fine but I have no idea what the original unedited version looked like.

But there is no consistency with the amount of space allowed between candidates. Mr Markham's profile (as good as it is) on the same page is a full 2/3rd's of the page, Jim got about 1/6th. I am guessing it relates to the volume of information originally submitted.

Chris.

Pat Dilling
01-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Mine showed up yesterday. In good shape.

dictator27
01-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Don't have mine yet. Hopefully Monday. No snow or ice here to slow delivery.

Terry

Drummerboy
01-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Don't have mine yet. Hopefully Monday. No snow or ice here to slow delivery.

Terry

Not here in Gibsons yet Terry. Perhaps our letter carrier has lost her snorkel.:rolleyes:

fpstude
01-13-2014, 11:41 PM
The January TW came today at 5 PM., Sacramento.

pinehurstbob
01-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Mine arrived today in good condition. It's truly remarkable that things originating in the US get delivered quicker to Australia!
Way to go Dave. That is one outstanding 55.

Bob
Welland On

2moredoors
01-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Mine arrived today. Saw the "mail lady" filling my neighbourhood community box after she left I retrieved my TW. Looks great.

stephenj
01-14-2014, 11:54 AM
I guess she likes you! Mine still hasn't arrived.

2R5
01-14-2014, 12:22 PM
got it ....that 3 out of 4 today <g>

junior
01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
mine arrived yesterday

dictator27
01-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Not here yet.

Terry

Drummerboy
01-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Not here yet.

Terry

TW not in today's post either.:(

jimmijim8
01-14-2014, 04:39 PM
It didn't read fine by my standards. It was just a paragraph of some facts of me that I had sent as an informal message to Mrs. Halgren somewhat introducing myself to her as a person with interest in seeking a position. I don't know who did the embellishments or arranging the paragraph so as to serve at least as good as a very poorly written autobiography. Not at all suitable for printing as my autobiography.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> My autobiography as should have been printed is currently displayed along with my photograph in the {Zone talk} section of this forum {Southeast Zone} Compare the two so as to understand why I was so disquembooburated. We were not limited as to length. I intended to be short,concise and relevant. My photo and autobiography would easily fit on 1/3 page of our Monthly mag. cheers
I thought Jim's profile read fine but I have no idea what the original unedited version looked like.

But there is no consistency with the amount of space allowed between candidates. Mr Markham's profile (as good as it is) on the same page is a full 2/3rd's of the page, Jim got about 1/6th. I am guessing it relates to the volume of information originally submitted.

Chris.

SusieQ
01-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Larry G. got his today January 14, not ours though we are in the same town. Nice article on our Hamilton Chapter on DYSD...

KOOL R2
01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Finally!! Mine arrived today. Dave, that is a very nice picture of your 55. I hope that you asked Bob for a print so that you can frame it. It is an exceptional photograph

Peter Sant

stephenj
01-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Mine arrived too!

Mark57
01-15-2014, 09:07 PM
My January TW just arrived today. :)

Stu Chapman
01-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Interesting. Seems we're back to a 3-week spread in postal delivery. In some cases it's been 27 days from when it left the printer. It looks like the winter storm has had significant effects on postal delivery and that's to be expected. For example, there's an 11 day variance in delivery within 10 miles of our residence. Let's hope February delivery will be back to a reasonable degree of normalcy. We're also learning something else....U.S. addresses with 9 digit zip codes apparently receive priority over those with 5 digits. Any comments from those members who are employed with USPS?

Stu Chapman

warrlaw1
01-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Mine was here when I got back from Mexico, last night. Loved it so much I ordered 20 back copies (lol). Can't wait for Spring so we can get our cars back out.

dictator27
01-16-2014, 03:04 PM
No joy yet.

Terry

BobPalma
01-17-2014, 06:27 AM
InterestingWe're also learning something else....U.S. addresses with 9 digit zip codes apparently receive priority over those with 5 digits. Any comments from those members who are employed with USPS?

Stu Chapman

Stu, I've never worked for the USPS, but I am one of those who think they do a good job overall, and often an exceptional one!

Since so much of their equipment electronically scans and sorts the mail, I can't help but think that anything with a nine-digit ZIP code is going to arrive sooner, but not because someone personally makes a decision to prioritize it. Rather, it is because the code readers are simply able to better pre-sort and route the item.

The USPS on-line ZIP code lookup is so easy to use that I use it all the time. If someone sends me something with only their 5-digit code, I'll normally look up the nine-digit code before using return mail. :) BP

dadondemand
01-17-2014, 07:15 AM
Just received mine in Ballwin (St Louis) MO on Tuesday, 1/14.

Stu Chapman
01-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Stu, I've never worked for the USPS, but I am one of those who think they do a good job overall, and often an exceptional one!

Since so much of their equipment electronically scans and sorts the mail, I can't help but think that anything with a nine-digit ZIP code is going to arrive sooner, but not because someone personally makes a decision to prioritize it. Rather, it is because the code readers are simply able to better pre-sort and route the item.

The USPS on-line ZIP code lookup is so easy to use that I use it all the time. If someone sends me something with only their 5-digit code, I'll normally look up the nine-digit code before using return mail. :) BP

Bob, I wonder how many U.S. members know they have a 9-digit zip code. Perhaps everyone should check this out and advise Cornerstone to bring their zip codes up to date. Ann Turner could also cover this point in her Editor's comment in Turning Wheels. Could help speed up delivery in the U.S.

Stu Chapman

STEWDI
01-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Hi Stu
Mine arrived Jan 14th. Apparently it takes Canada Post 8 days to travel the normally 45 minute trip from Dundas to Paris (Ontario, of course!).

dictator27
01-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Not yet!!!! :( :( :(

Terry

Drummerboy
01-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Not yet!!!! :( :( :(

Terry

Me neither.....sigh.

christophe
01-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Mine arrived today.
Happy reading to all.

hausdok
01-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Mine arrived today in good condition. It's truly remarkable that things originating in the US get delivered quicker to Australia!
Way to go Dave. That is one outstanding 55.

Bob
Welland OnEven more remarkable (and strange) that I got mine here the last week in December but folks five hundred miles south of here in the U.S. still hadn't gotten theirs nearly two weeks later.

warrlaw1
01-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks, guys, for the compliments on the 55. Took my copy to the old age home to show mother (92). She said: I hope you're gonna keep it in nice condition. (lol).

warrlaw1
01-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Just a thought on an "electronic" version of TW: many of us will give out a back issue of TW if we see a new Stude owner or prospect at car shows. I can understand why there are not electronic copies of each issue available on the WWW. Copyright aside, TW is an incentive for people to join SDC. But...maybe only one issue a year posted to a Fbook SDC page, or the Club home page would act as a teaser and demonstrate the benefits of a yearly subscription. The web is a powerful tool. We could use it.

dictator27
01-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Still not here! No mail at all today.

Terry

Drummerboy
01-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Still not here! No mail at all today.

Terry

Same here, although the raffle tickets for York 2015 arrived today!

dictator27
01-21-2014, 05:09 PM
!!!! FINALLY!!!! :) :) :) Thirty-two days, December 19th to January 21st. There has not been any snow out here in that time, so slow delivery can't be blamed on that. The weather back east is no excuse for this length of time.

By coincidence, my wife ordered a gift from the Moravian Bookstore in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on December 19th. It was not intended nor expected to arrive before Christmas. It was shipped by UPS and arrived here (Surrey, British Columbia) on December 30th, eleven days after it was ordered. Using the tracking number, we were able to follow its progress across the continent. It took three days to leave Pennsylvania! It left York on the 22nd and was in Spokane, Washington on the 23rd. In Seattle on the 26th and in the UPS warehouse on Annacis Island here on the 28th. We actually could have had it on the 29th if we had been home when the truck came by. Considering all the bad press that UPS got in December, we thought the delivery time was reasonable, even though it took a while to leave.

Terry

Drummerboy
01-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Congrats, Terry, still no TW here in Gibsons.:mad:

dictator27
01-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Congrats, Terry, still no TW here in Gibsons.:mad:

You could always blame it on slow ferry service, Brian. :)

Terry

Drummerboy
01-24-2014, 05:37 PM
You could always blame it on slow ferry service, Brian. :)

Terry

Still no TW. I haven't heard of any ferry sinkings/collisions in the fog have you, Terry? Guess it's time to call Cornerstone?

Stu Chapman
01-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Still no TW. I haven't heard of any ferry sinkings/collisions in the fog have you, Terry? Guess it's time to call Cornerstone?

Please do call Cornerstone but it would be a good idea to contact Canada Post and ask for an investigation.

Stu Chapman

Hallabutt
01-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Stu,

What do you mean when you said that TW "went into the mailing system" on Dec. 19th? I am not trying to argue but if I am to give you any insights into any problems I really need to know what the process is. There are a number of required steps that the mailer is required to perform before the mail is accepted at the PO. I gave a long-winded dissertation last month regarding the PO in response to a question regarding Canadian postage. I got little feedback so I hesitated in responding to a similar thread this month.

StudeMann
01-25-2014, 11:11 PM
i finally got mine here in Victoria, BC on Thursday, Jan 23. That's the latest it's come in a long time.

Stu Chapman
01-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Stu,

What do you mean when you said that TW "went into the mailing system" on Dec. 19th? I am not trying to argue but if I am to give you any insights into any problems I really need to know what the process is. There are a number of required steps that the mailer is required to perform before the mail is accepted at the PO. I gave a long-winded dissertation last month regarding the PO in response to a question regarding Canadian postage. I got little feedback so I hesitated in responding to a similar thread this month.

It was delivered by the printer to the distribution house on December 19th. It appears that some U.S. addresses see delivery as soon as 4-5 days from the date shown. Others can take over a month depending on weather and where they are. I don't recall your response re Canadian postage so can you give me a reference please.

Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
01-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Stu,

One other point as a matter of general interest. We now have a Board-appointed committee working with the printer and editor whose goal is to develop consistent deadline dates with the result that more timely delivery can be effected. Your comments and updates are looked at and appreciated.

Stu Chapman

Hallabutt
01-26-2014, 01:43 PM
As I indicated in a previous thread after the TW magazine goes to the mailing bureau it must be sorted. This entails taking the five to eight thousand pound mailing which must be addressed with a cover sheet and enclosed in plastic wrap. A computer program aids the process and should take no more then two days to complete the process. At this point the pieces must be sorted according to destination. This can be a time consuming process and remember this is not the mailing bureau's only customer so they often must juggle the time that they spend on each customer's mail. What may be the customer's priority and that of the PO may differ significantly from that of the MB. Of the many requirements that the PO requires for Periodical Mailer to keep their contract with the PO the significant one here is that it only requires that there be twelve mailings with similar address breakdown within a twelve month time frame. Often times this allows the MB to sort and present portions of the mailing at any given time when it is convenient for them, and as long as they don't start processing the next issue before they finish the last one they can do this with impunity. As long as the closest and the largest markets are serviced first they can, in this way, keep their complaints to a minimum. I am only suggesting this as a possible scenario which I have seen played out many times over the years.

The PO has always treated Periodical Mail with the highest priority, second only to First Class Mail. The processing of which is measured in hours not days and it is most often handled right along with FC mail. Christmas can be a limiting factor as everyone in the PO busts their buts to meet that deadline. Note the drop date of Dec. 19, see any issue here? This was also an unusual year since the PO incentives to drop one third of its work force and failed to make adjustments for the heavy seasonal mail. They simply didn't know what it was going to take to do the job and didn't have the flexibility that they had in the past.

I think that our postal service does an admirable job given its political constraints and elements intent on its destruction. It is still the most efficiently run PO in the world and something that I think we should all be proud of.-Bill

Stu Chapman
01-26-2014, 03:25 PM
As I indicated in a previous thread after the TW magazine goes to the mailing bureau it must be sorted. This entails taking the five to eight thousand pound mailing which must be addressed with a cover sheet and enclosed in plastic wrap. A computer program aids the process and should take no more then two days to complete the process. At this point the pieces must be sorted according to destination. This can be a time consuming process and remember this is not the mailing bureau's only customer so they often must juggle the time that they spend on each customer's mail. What may be the customer's priority and that of the PO may differ significantly from that of the MB. Of the many requirements that the PO requires for Periodical Mailer to keep their contract with the PO the significant one here is that it only requires that there be twelve mailings with similar address breakdown within a twelve month time frame. Often times this allows the MB to sort and present portions of the mailing at any given time when it is convenient for them, and as long as they don't start processing the next issue before they finish the last one they can do this with impunity. As long as the closest and the largest markets are serviced first they can, in this way, keep their complaints to a minimum. I am only suggesting this as a possible scenario which I have seen played out many times over the years.

The PO has always treated Periodical Mail with the highest priority, second only to First Class Mail. The processing of which is measured in hours not days and it is most often handled right along with FC mail. Christmas can be a limiting factor as everyone in the PO busts their buts to meet that deadline. Note the drop date of Dec. 19, see any issue here? This was also an unusual year since the PO incentives to drop one third of its work force and failed to make adjustments for the heavy seasonal mail. They simply didn't know what it was going to take to do the job and didn't have the flexibility that they had in the past.

I think that our postal service does an admirable job given its political constraints and elements intent on its destruction. It is still the most efficiently run PO in the world and something that I think we should all be proud of.-Bill

Bill, thanks so much for this post. It is very informative and much appreciated.

Stu Chapman

Drummerboy
01-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Yippee! Got my January TW in the mail today! Can February's TW be far behind? Good thing I didn't call Cornerstone yet. Now to reading....