Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Column Electric Power Steering (EPS) for my Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Column Electric Power Steering (EPS) for my Hawk?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171027023129...84.m1423.l2649

The module works with the Koyo EPAS Steering Column systems from 2002-2007 Saturn Vue, 2005-2007 Chevrolet Equinox, or 2003-2006 Saturn Ion.

Additionally, Column EPAS usually has the controller module attached right on the column and the electric motor is hidden under the dash. It appears that if one were to mount the column and connect the output shaft to the input of the steering box, electric assist would be within our grasp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	electric power steering.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1742171

So what does the collective wisdom of Studebakerdom think?

I have been pondering the same general idea. More cars are using electric servos to power the steering. I haven't done much looking though, too many other distractions going on. I plan on doing some junkyard surfing when the weather gets better.

Comment

About 8-10yrs ago my company was working on a EPS project but it was cancelled due to the cost being too high. I think they've since purchased a modified GM unit for those applications (Deere Gator's and high end lawn tractors).

You may want to look at this:

I have no knowledge of this system sold on amazon. Looks like it requires a speed input.

The system that was cancelled and this one sold on Amazon are a inline setup. The unit it fitted in line with the steering shaft from the column to the gear box so if the PS craps out you still have normal manual steering. There is a torque sensor that is input to the controls and the motor is driven to limit the amount of torque that the driver need apply. The "feel" is all programmable in software.

All that said, electric PS may require a larger alternator in the car. I am sure the controllers will limit the stall current (steering hits at stops or hits a curb) but the peak current could likely be quit high and might cause voltage sag in the car w/o a large enough battery and alternator.

Looks like the gizmo on ebay is just some signal generator that fakes out the speed sensor signal for the steering controller.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Electric PS is fast becoming the standard in new cars and, apparently is starting to appear in pickup trucks.

Although it might eliminate a lot of PS installation hassles in many older cars since everything is under the dash, not under the hood.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Drive a few cars with electric PS first. All those I've driven feel numb and artificial, like driving one of those racing video games. There's none of the tactile feedback which makes for a good driving experience.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

The Studebaker/Bendix Power Steering, also utilizes a Standard Manual Steering Gear. What is OLD is the new NEW!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This car at 2013 Colorado Springs meet has electric power steering.

Kevin
              sigpic

Comment

Flaming River offers another manufactures Electric steering box. Little pricy at close to 6000.
                No expierences with these units yet. But it seems OEM's are going this way. Not only weight and engineering savings but another data point to collect while in operation.

Plus a high end feature of lane drift avoidance. Audi and a few others have this feature - sensing when the car drifts too close to the dotted or solid line, sensors tell the electric steering box the corrective action.

Oh the horrah, a self parking (via electic steer Studebaker)
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Seems like everything is going electric now days, Power brakes, steering, emergency brake.

Comment

I agree, it's a dead feeling, totally removed from the driving experience. I have a Jetta and a Civic with it, and there is no feedback, you can't tell when the tires are at their cornering limits (not that you want to go there in a Civic) and I'd rather spend my money on improving my Armstrong power steering at the gym and not have any assist than have the electric steering.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Drive a few cars with electric PS first. All those I've driven feel numb and artificial, like driving one of those racing video games. There's none of the tactile feedback which makes for a good driving experience.

jack vines
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

My only concern would be the way it would work using a standard steering gear box. The electric column is specifically designed to mate with the particular rack in the car. The added resistance of a standard gearbox in an older car and/or the gear ratio of the box may cause the electric rack to work improperly or worse bind up. I work on cars all day long with electric steering but this is only my humble opinion on your idea. Best bet would be to research the car mentioned in post 7.

Comment

Saw a universal EPS unit in a Street Rodder ad a while back for $999.00 by Unisteer. Just checked their web site, they now start at $849.00.
                        Corley

Comment

Working...
                        X