PDA

View Full Version : Golden hawk on ebay

arkie
01-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know any thing about this 56 g.h ? Said he was selling it for an estate it really looks good. Has a vin # but it looks like a tenn # ?
Thanks , max

RareBird
01-06-2014, 04:15 PM
let me help you
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-na-1956-studebaker-golden-hawk-/400637519688?forcerrptr=true&hash=item5d47db6748&item=400637519688&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

SN-60
01-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Interesting '56J! The stick O/D feature is nice, of course. It's painted the 'early' two tone paint scheme, (except for the deck lid 'insert' area). But the car's serial# indicates that it's much too late in production to have this early scheme....and the 1/4 panel side moulding isn't correct for the earlier paint scheme either. Lots of interest on this one!

jbwhttail
01-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Looks to be a "salvage" car it could be anything in a Studebaker hardtop built into a Golden Hawk. My first question would be what is the engine numbe, It should start "S".

Also there was not a 1956 Golden Hawk built with air conditioning. several other obvious errors in an "concours" car, but I will not pick on what is a beautiful car....

SN-60
01-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Looks to be a "salvage" car it could be anything in a Studebaker hardtop built into a Golden Hawk. My first question would be what is the engine numbe, It should start "S".

Also there was not a 1956 Golden Hawk built with air conditioning. several other obvious errors in an "concours" car, but I will not pick on what is a beautiful car....

I'm pretty sure the engine serial number should start with a 'K' if it's a legit stick O/D car Joe.

EssexExport
01-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Looks good. About the only thing different from mine is the lack of ribs for the headliner.

SN-60
01-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Looks good. About the only thing different from mine is the lack of ribs for the headliner.

That's right Essex....the headliner looks good but isn't authentic.

jbwhttail
01-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Agreed SN-60, forgot the different prefix, I have an auto ultramatic it starts with an "S". either way the serial number listed by State is not correct.

AGAIN........... I hate when people pick apart any car on Ebay, someone(the seller) is proud of that car or truck. I think the car is a good buy at the present price, but it is not a concours car and may not ever be able to be identified as to its origin. A car starting serial number of "6" would be an L A car correct?

SN-60
01-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Yes, but South Bend production started with '6' on the 56J's also. A true 'LA' 56J would have a serial # like....68*****

StudeDave57
01-06-2014, 07:44 PM
With overdrive and that AWESOME color-
what more could you want out of a '56 GH?

I'd drive it!!! :!:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

SN-60
01-06-2014, 07:48 PM
With overdrive and that AWESOME color-
what more could you want out of a '56 GH?

I'd drive it!!! :!:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

Not Much!!....I'd drive that baby too! (After some engine updates, if they haven't been done already.)

WayneXG95
01-06-2014, 10:46 PM
You guys are spoilt and complain to much, we would love to have studebakers like that over here...:cool:

M15 Trucker
01-07-2014, 08:19 AM
According to the ebay add the GH is located in Helotes, Texas, a northern suburb of San Antonio. Do any Forum members live close to it to take a look at it?

WinM1895
01-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Yes, but South Bend production started with '6' on the 56J's also. A true 'LA' 56J would have a serial # like....68*****
In 2004, I bought a similar 56J, tutone yellow/white, O/D, P/S and with the same el cheapo radio without pushbuttons. It was assembled in Vernon CA

I sold it several years later to 'Chick' Nauha, an SDC member in Middleboro MA who I meet at the 2004 Charlotte gtg.

When I mentioned this before, was told it had changed hands several times since.

Jerry Forrester
01-07-2014, 10:05 AM
The seller must be reading this forum and realised what a piece of crap car he has (what with the wrong paint, headliner, side moldings etc.) and pulled the car from auction. Bidding has ended.

sochocki
01-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Wonder what happened to the bidding?? The car sure looks nice, despite all the non-orginal elements pointed out. If the guy expected a concours PRICE, then he would be out of line . . . but who knows what it will sell for?

JoeHall
01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Here is a copy of the PO of the subject car. Since nobody else is familiar with the car I will offer a few facts: I have known this car since around 2000, when an MD up in Louisville bought it down in Tennessee. Her and her husband were there vacationing, she saw it for sale, and fell in love with it. When they showed it to me, it obviously had completed a recent frame-off resto at a high end facility. However, I noted a few things that needed addressing mechanically to make it safe, since she planned to drive it: I installed HD front springs correct for 56J (526125); resealed the PS gearbox; rebuilt the distributor and carb, and a few other odds & ends. I also drove the car around 100 miles while dialing everything in mechanically.

While working on the car, my biggest fear was that I'd get it greasy, and tried real hard not to smudge it. Cosmetically, inside and out the car was immaculate, though "incorrect" in several areas already noted above by purists. The paint, body work, and panel alignment was comparable to Joe Bacon's 56J. It was as if whoever restored it spared no expense. Though the front fenders had been replaced, I could find no sign of rust anywhere.

For the interior, fabric was used that is far superior to anything Stude Corp ever put in any Stude. This included areas unseen, i.e. the (normally cardboard) door panel backing was a thin wood panel that will probably never warp, as most C & K cars did. I noticed they are still lazer straight in the ebay pix. I am pretty sure the same material was used behind the rear quarter panels. The headliner, though "incorrect" is on par with the rest of the interior, and does not reverberate at road speed, as OEM cardboard headliner in 56Js tend to do.

Mechanically, the car was as near perfect as any 56J I have ever known. The lady drove it around the Louisville area for several years to local cruise-in's and also to the IM in South Bend around 2003. She also often drove it to her office, and always parked it out front. She decided to sell it when her kids grew too big for car seats, and she was concerned with their safety in lap belts.

A year or so after she sold it, around 2007, I got a call form a mechanic in Texas wanting to know how to install ignition points. IIRC he was having trouble getting the tac adapter off. It looks like the owner in Texas installed AC, and did it well, with Jack N.'s compressor mount kit and an era correct evaporator. The lady in Louisville commented a couple of times she wished it had AC, but never installed it.

Yep, as someone above mentioned, the car is a real POC ;)

studegary
01-07-2014, 03:11 PM

There were only 601 for Vernon (LA) CA. The S/N given is for a very late 1956 GH made in South Bend.

SN-60
01-07-2014, 10:06 PM
The seller must be reading this forum and realised what a piece of crap car he has (what with the wrong paint, headliner, side moldings etc.) and pulled the car from auction. Bidding has ended.

The car was no doubt sold locally.....Nice GH!