PDA

View Full Version : Check this 54 coupe

johnod
01-06-2014, 10:15 AM
I don't usually like chopped coupes but this looks pretty good.
Plus it's got a hemi.:)

Not mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-2-door-Commander-Chopped-top-54-chopped-studebaker-2-door-354-chrysler-hemi-street-rod-/201012124304?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ecd419a90&item=201012124304&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Corley
01-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Somehow the top chop seems a bit off to me. I'd dump the head rests, but then with the hemi, they may be important to have!:lol: JMHO

t walgamuth
01-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Cool! the only v8 heavier than a stude!

johnod
01-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Cool! the only v8 heavier than a stude!

That's because you have to weigh in the cool factor.

PackardV8
01-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Somehow the top chop seems a bit off to me.

The French say, "The difference between a beautiful woman and a plain one is just a few millimeters." The side view/profile seems a bit off to me also. And it shows just how difficult it is/was to improve on Bob Bourke's '53/54. As much as I love customs and the Hawks, and they're much better mechanically, they didn't improve esthetically.

FWIW, recently here we saw a black '53 chopped coupe which is going at auction and I didn't get that same vibe from it. It would be interesting to have the two side-by-side to compare the differences.

jack vines

Dick Steinkamp
01-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm not normally a fan of chopped tops on these cars, but I think this one is spot on...if the builder was aiming for that "dry lakes" look. Picture it with a number on the side and photographed on the salt flats.

PackardV8
01-06-2014, 01:03 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1953%20Stude%20-%20Misc%20Pictures/1953StudeCoupeChoppedBarrettJackson2014E_zps3ac6003c.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/54-Chopped-Studebaker-2-door-354-Chrysler-Hemi-Street-rod-project-car-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/VhgAAOxycmBSwe-o/$_57.JPG

1. Stance is everything

2. Difficult to ascertain from the differing angles, but the black car seems to have an even chop and the primer car seems chopped a bit more in front than rear and the rear window larger, maybe even stock size.

Still, as a tall guy, it would be interesting to determine if either could be safely street-driven. On one chopped Stude, I couldn't see traffic lights a half block away.

jack vines

johnod
01-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Like I said , not usually a fan of chopped studes, to me the black one is everything I don't like about them.

For some reason the primer one just works for me.

No offense to whoever owns the black job.

johnod
01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm not normally a fan of chopped tops on these cars, but I think this one is spot on...if the builder was aiming for that "dry lakes" look. Picture it with a number on the side and photographed on the salt flats.

You ready for a new coupe project yet?:)

Mike Van Veghten
01-06-2014, 02:18 PM
I can't see the second car, but the black one would probably look good if it were sitting more level, and the corny knockoffs were left in the garage..

I like the top level with the rest of the body. That is, chop the front, rotate the rear.

As for "tall" guys...
A friend of mine is about 6'-4", normal build for that height. One of his hot rods is a 29A pickup that has a sever top chop, is sectioned...and is sitting down over the frame (channeled).
The key is what you do to the floor. He drives the little truck all over in "relative" comfort (as much as can be had with an old world suspension and a flathead engine !).
He receintly got his Dads old 30A Sedan Delivery on the road...much the same stance as the pickup....(lower the floor inside the frame rails...).

Mike

P.s. - I'm still hopen to find a Lark wagon top to put on one of my Conestogas. That's about a 2+" chop with no window loss..

Dick Steinkamp
01-06-2014, 02:43 PM
The primer one works much better (IMHO). I'm not crazy about the exaggerated stance on the black car, and the roof is down another inch or two compared to the primer car...an inch or two too much (IMHO)

Dick Steinkamp
01-06-2014, 02:44 PM
You ready for a new coupe project yet?:)

I need to sell the wagon first. Out of space and money right now :(

sals54
01-06-2014, 03:12 PM
I don't like the stance on the black car either, but I like the chop much better than the primered one. Its the roof line for me. The black one has maintained much of the angle of the top of the door frame to the bottom of the window opening. That angle is what sets the styling apart… at least for me.
The primer one has too much of a bulge above the rear seat area. I like the look of the black one as it has a smooth flowing line from the top down to the trunk.
Now, that being said… If I could have the drivetrain from the primer car, under the hood of the black one…. and tranfer the stance of the primer car to the black car…. then transfer the title of both cars to my name…. then, perhaps I would be happy about both cars.

Flashback
01-06-2014, 04:38 PM
The only thing the black car needs is lowering in rear about 4 to 6 in. A tad smaller rear tires. The exhaust to exit out rear, and raising the top about 3". O, and maybe no hood scoop, and knock offs.

JRoberts
01-06-2014, 05:38 PM

You may be right Dick, but I think an even better "look" would be in my drive way.;)

johnod
01-06-2014, 06:42 PM
The only thing the black car needs is lowering in rear about 4 to 6 in. A tad smaller rear tires. The exhaust to exit out rear, and raising the top about 3". O, and maybe no hood scoop, and knock offs.

That's funny.:D

Dick Steinkamp
01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
You may be right Dick, but I think an even better "look" would be in my drive way.;)
I'm with you, Joe.

Again, I'm not usually big on chopped tops, but I think this one (in combination with the stance and theme) really nailed it.

SN-60
01-06-2014, 06:50 PM
A Hemi in its natural habitat.....a Loewy coupe!