Delco Window Distributor Advance Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Delco Window Distributor Advance Plate

The Delco window distributor in my car has a frozen advance plate, i.e. the advance plate will not move. My question is whether I can replace the advance plate with one from a GM Delco window distributor? Has anyone done that? Thanks.

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
    The Delco window distributor in my car has a frozen advance plate, i.e. the advance plate will not move. My question is whether I can replace the advance plate with one from a GM Delco window distributor? Has anyone done that? Thanks.
    Did you mean to say that one of the distributors is a non-window unit and the other one is a window unit? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm confused, are you talking about the breaker plate or the centrifugal advance mechanism at the top of the distributor shaft? If the centrifugal advance is stuck, you can use either a good penetrating oil or carburetor cleaner to free up the solidified grease on the distributor shaft. It's very rare to have the breaker plate stick unless it has been subjected to excessive moisture for an extended period. The breaker plate from a Buick, Olds or Cadillac will work in a Studebaker distributor, but the distributor cam should be from another Studebaker distributor. Bud

Comment

The plate that is frozen is the one that the vacuum advance moves (only mine doesn't move.) I've tried penetrating oil, 50/50 mix of ARF and acetone, WD40, etc. but I can't get the vacuum advance plate to move freely. So, my question is: will the vacuum advance plate from an early Chevy window distributor fit my Studebaker Delco window distributor?

Comment

OK, I just bought a 1955 Chevy 265 distributor for parts.

Comment

Yes they will interchange just fine.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

OK, I just bought a 1955 Chevy 265 distributor for parts.
              Tom, I hope you didn't buy it sight-unseen. 1955 Chevrolet V8s did not have window distributors. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi Bob,
                The distributor was an early window distributor (with the oiling tube) that was described as fitting a 1955-60 256, 283, 327 (although 327 didn't come out until later.) There were a bunch of photos of it, so it looks like the right one.
                Tom

Comment

Studebaker also used non window Delco distributors. The window appeared in 60-61. Not sure when Chevy changed to window type. The differences are minute between Chevy and Studebaker other than the housings.(on window types).
                  The amount of advance and rates were different.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948

Comment

The breaker plate from a Chevrolet especially one from a 55 or 56 265 Chevrolet since they are the earlier type distributor will not work in a Studebaker distributor along with any later Chevy window distributor as the advance works in the opposite direction from the Studebaker distributors. As I stated in an earlier post, a breaker plate from a Cadillac, Olds or Buick will work in a Studebaker distributor. Bud

Comment

I was thinking of the advance plates, not the breaker plate. The rotation doesn't affect the advance. Of course the BREAKER plate will be different with different directions of rotations. For one thing the rubbing block wont retain lube. All of this wont matter, and you CAN use a Chevy breaker plate if you use electronic breakerless conversions.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948

Comment

Hi Bob,
                        The distributor was an early window distributor (with the oiling tube) that was described as fitting a 1955-60 256, 283, 327 (although 327 didn't come out until later.) There were a bunch of photos of it, so it looks like the right one.
                        Tom
                        Well, that would be OK, then. It might fit a 1955 Chevrolet V8, but wouldn't have been from a 1955 Chevrolet V8. 'Good that they had a photo to confirm what you were buying.

BTW: Cadillac and Oldsmobile got window distributors for 1956.

Chevrolet, Buick, and Pontiac got them for 1957. BP

Comment

Right Bob, That 1955 date was a red flag here also! Chevrolet definitely didn't use a Delco 'window type' in '55.

Comment

Working on a Delco distributor for my 62 Champ. I got a new vacuum advance with the proper # & installed it. Trouble now is the breaker plate doesn't want to move. When I tighten the screw that also holds the ground wire, it binds right up. Loosen it & I can move the breaker plate but its still hard. I cant imagine vacuum from the advance can would be able to move it even then. Suggestions???
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Is the screw too long, Warren, and hitting something underneath when you tighten it fully?

The return spring in the advance can be stiff and might fool you into thinking the plate can't revolve. Does the plate move freely before you install the new vacuum advance? If it does not, you need to remove the advance plate and clean and lubricate everything. It should be very easy to move without the advance attached, and will be much more difficult to move by hand with the advance in place.

Once you think everything is OK, connect a length of vacuum hose to the advance unit and try sucking it. You should be able to pull the advance to full advance and then watch it pop back when you release the suction. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X