Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone on one of sites asked about Fortnum Motor Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone on one of sites asked about Fortnum Motor Co.

Question was asked if anyone knew about the Fortnum Motor Co. I can't find the site now. Fort um Motors was on a national historic building listing due to it's originally being a very early Ford dealer. About post WW 2, they became a Studebaker dealer, lasting to the end, then becoming an AMC dealer, until about 1980 or so when changes were made on the roads and bridge where the operation was located. Wedged between state rate. 130 , the Rancocas creek , some private property , there was no room for expansion.The town address was Brigeboro N.J. Was a picturesque location overlooking the Rancocas creek, on the edge of the old Quaker farm area, now the very affluent town of Moorestown, near the huge Levitt development of Willingboro. After moving, the Fortnum brothers had an auto repair shops in nearby Bridgeboro.I got my first car there in 1968 a 1956 Power Hawk. Then got a used 1963 Gran Turismo Hawk. Loved hanging around there.The buildings were never updated , so it was a step back in time. Not " colonial" old, just blue collar functional old. Probably made AMC think twice before signing them up. Also the car business to them was simply "bread and butter". They considered people liking Studies as "Studebaker Nuts" including me.

Was a customer there myself, bought many a part there. Had a great Studebaker parts dept there, always had the part I was searching for. From a hubcap for my 1950 Landcruiser to a exhaust manifold for our 1964 Commander.
    The whole landscape has changed, nothing left. Just a cloverleaf intersection.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
    X