A Studebaker you will never probably see in the flesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Studebaker you will never probably see in the flesh

Motor Trend in 1954. An unnamed California member has told me he has information on a survivor but his credibility is suspect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	39 conv sedan forum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1742157
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 01-03-2014, 08:41 PM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Now THAT is a cool car!

Even Studebaker built customs.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I had an uncle who drove a '37 Ford with the chrome side pipes like this. That would have been just after WW II.

Comment

Obviously, the pipes don't add to the look.
        Otherwise... COOL!
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I wonder if the registration could be traced at the Mass. DMV?

Comment

Actually the plate is from Connecticut (my error). I have tried that before and most states do not keep records going back that far.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

My friend Larry Warner used to own the '38 Commander version of this body style in pristine condition. He passed several years ago (Larry's car was/is RHD)

PS...The subsequent owner of this '38 Commander convertible sedan tried to round up all of the correct parts to convert the car to LHD, but I believe he sold it before the conversion was accomplished.
              Last edited by SN-60; 01-04-2014, 07:19 AM. Reason: ADDED P.S.

Comment

Wow, looking at the photos, we can only wonder "what if." Who wouldn't like to own something like that?

Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                  Wow, looking at the photos, we can only wonder "what if." Who wouldn't like to own something like that?

Rog
                  Apparently, most of the 1939 new car buyers!

Comment

It looks like the pictured driver is wearing a uniform. I wonder if the L I on the plate was for a Livery plate? A truly beautiful car.

Comment

Were those real convertibles or just sedans with the top cut off? The reason I ask, is because the windshield posts and header is so delicate compared to the normal car of that vintage.
                      Klif
                      55 Speedster/Street Machine
                      63 Avanti R2
                      64 Convertible R1

Comment

Remember seeing a 1938 Studebaker State Convertible in a Jack Benny movie. I believe the car belonged to Rochchester (in the movie) and Jack had borrowed it as his Maxwell had broken down. Jack then proceeded to rear end a Taxi and did significant front end damage to the Studebaker. I can't remember the name of the movie but, it was one beautiful Studebaker!
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
                          Were those real convertibles or just sedans with the top cut off? The reason I ask, is because the windshield posts and header is so delicate compared to the normal car of that vintage.
                          Klif
                          These bodies were unique. they were not converted sedan bodies.

Comment

Hartigans (sp) from New York own/owned a '37-'39 four door Studebaker convertible. It is decades since I last saw it and my memory of it is weak.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studebaker did not make a convertible of any kind in '37 but there are a few surviving examples with bodies made in Europe (Swiss, Belgian or English). Of course in '38 they did offer the convertible sedans on either the Commander or President chassis. There are two surviving '38 Presidents and about five Commanders. Two were shown at the Lancaster SDC Intl meet, one belonging to Raplh Snyder and the other to George Vassos, the latter being a RHD originally sent to New Zealand.
                              Last edited by avantilover; 01-04-2014, 12:44 PM.
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X