Deep-N-Hock Follies - January, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep-N-Hock Follies - January, 2014

Studebaker Trifecta... All on 1/1/2013 !!!

Spent a good portion of the day in the shop working on some intake manifolds, and doing grunt work on 'The Black Car'..
    So far today...

Smashed my thumbnail... Not real bad, but it stings and I will probably lose the end of the nail...

Burned my arm overhead MIG welding.. Dropped a blob of weld in the crook of my right arm.
    Smelled the melting fleece work shirt, but wanted to finish that particular pass.
    The smell changed when it got to my arm... (two inches from my last welding burn.)

Stood up in the engine bay and hit my head on the aluminum firewall.
    Made the neatest little triangular cut that bloodied my head up real well.

On the bright side, at least I didn't hit my head hard enough to knock myself silly...
    That is what usually happens.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Getting lucky was enough for me.

Comment

I got out to the shop today for a few hours as well, only got a cut up knuckle installing a cotter pin on the steering drag link when my hand slipped and hit the engine dampner. Bleed out real well and thought WHY don't I have bandages out in the shop,... because I have paper towel and black electrical tape.

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Jeff, didn't anyone ever tell you not to weld while wearing polyester or other synthetic fabrics? They ignite and melt onto your skin making terrible burns. Fleece just burns and melts faster. Cotton isn't good but at least it doesn't melt (and flame-retardant treated welding jackets are available cheap), wool is OK. Leather sleeves are much better. Treat yourself to a late Christmas present and save the skin.

I did learn the hard way not to weld while wearing "boat shoes" and no socks. And, I always wear some kind of hat while working to reduce the number of cuts to my head. My old skin tears a lot easier now, so I also try to wear mechanic's gloves as much as possible.

Take care, and happy new year.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
          Jeff, didn't anyone ever tell you not to weld while wearing polyester or other synthetic fabrics? They ignite and melt onto your skin making terrible burns. Fleece just burns and melts faster. Cotton isn't good but at least it doesn't melt (and flame-retardant treated welding jackets are available cheap), wool is OK. Leather sleeves are much better. Treat yourself to a late Christmas present and save the skin.

I did learn the hard way not to weld while wearing "boat shoes" and no socks. And, I always wear some kind of hat while working to reduce the number of cuts to my head. My old skin tears a lot easier now, so I also try to wear mechanic's gloves as much as possible.

Our Elders are so wise ! <g>
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

It's all good!!!

First, you now remember what you shouldn't do in the shop

And secondly, you're back in the shop.

Welcome to my world, CRS and all!! Of course, at +4 degrees here my memory is slipping about what to do in the shop too so I can envy the warmer temps you have.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
              Our Elders are so wise ! <g>
              Originally Posted by garyash

Yeah, I know....
              Watch it with the 'elder' wise cracks....
              I am past straddling that electrical fence
              I do have a pair of long gloves that go to the elbow, but didn't grab them.
              Also have a leather apron that is handy...if it gets put on...
              Did have a hat on, but had to take it off to put on the welding helmet.
              Backed into the aluminum firewall with the helmet on...hence the new divot.
              Maybe a Kevlar welding beanie?

Anyways... Here's a pic of the retro gas pedal that's going into 'The Black Car'
              Still need to fab some stuff up for it, but that'll come soon enough...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff its nice of you to consider your my elder.....made my day ! <g>
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks for all the reminders! And good on ya for not giving up due to injury!
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                  X