Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'54 Commander Starliner - small hole for on left side of dash, to left of the gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '54 Commander Starliner - small hole for on left side of dash, to left of the gauges

There is a small (1/2" or 5/8") round hole there with nothing in it. Obviously, it once had a use, probably for a switch.

I found one picture of a dash in a '53; it has a push button of some sort in that spot. What would that be for? The start switch is on the right in the row of switches.

There is not a switch or button to the left of the gauges in a stock 53-54 Commander or Champion.

If there is something there, it was added by a previous owner and could be most anything including the replacement of an existing switch that broke.

For a stick shift 53-54, the starter button was under the clutch pedal. Only the automatics used the switch position marked "Start" on your switch panel.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

In the '53 Commander, toggle switches left to right would be: fog lights, head lights, instruments, defrost air, heater air and starter.
      As Dick mentioned, if yours is a standard transmission there would be a blank on the starter; likewise on the fog lights.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Something was added, Fog Lights, Parking Brake Warning Light, 4 Way Flasher, Electric Fuel Pump, Electric W/S Washer, Wiper Delay system who knows! Nitrous Oxide switch?
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-31-2013, 04:50 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Actually, I looked at it again today. Not that it likely makes a difference, the hole is to the left of the switches, not the gauges. It looks very neatly cut - like a factory hole - which made me think that it might have been there since the factory.

Any ideas how to creatively cover or fill the hole without welding it shut and repainting the dash?

Comment

Go to your local hardware store and buy a bag of those little chrome plugs. They come in all sizes or assorted in a bag.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I would put a simple plunger switch & bracket on the E-Brake shaft like the factory did, and install a round Red faceted Gem like, Glass E-Brake warning light in the hole.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I would put a simple plunger switch & bracket on the E-Brake shaft like the factory did, and install a round Red faceted Gem like, Glass E-Brake warning light in the hole.
                I like that idea, if I can find such a light and switch. Or just covering the hole with a chrome plug would work too.

Comment

Working...
                X