Avanti II "RQA" and "RQB" designations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti II "RQA" and "RQB" designations

Does anyone know if "RQA" and "RQB" stand for anything specific in the Avanti II serial numbers? And, incidentally, where are the Avanti II serial numbers located?

The serial numbers are located on a plate on the drivers door post between the hinges. The "RQA" was simply what Avanti Motors designated the car model at the beginning...presumably to differentiate it from Studebaker production. It changed to "RQB" about 1970 when a series of changes to the car made it desirable to do so. That would include some mandated federal changes such as head restraints on the seats. Also there was a change from the GM 327 engine to the 350 and a capacitive discharge ignition being added as standard. I've read where the "RQA" would be continued as a more base model Avanti and the "RQB" would be an upgraded car but if there's any truth to that, it didn't work out that way. Early in the 1970 model year all production became "RQB" cars.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

My serial number plate for the 76 was evidently lost during a 1989 repaint as it was not on the car when I bought it in 2011. There was a foil type sticker the was peeled off the rear door frame under the latch that was in the owner's manual. There is also a serial number on on the driver's corner of the dash that can be observed through the lower right corner of the windshield, not sure what year they started doing that.
      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

The foil sticker on the rear door post gives information of serial number and month/year of manufacture, along with a statement it met all regulations at time of manufacture. In Avanti Motors case, it also gives exemptions to some safety rules as the feds gave low volume car makers extended time periods to comply...the sticker lists those exemptions.

My '70 had the serial number tag on the dash but when I replaced the vinyl dash padding it was lost.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks for the Avanti II serial number info. I plan to integrate some of this into the Altman pages and the Avanti II registries.

Comment

I've always felt that a clean 'RQA' model Avanti II is the car to buy......All Studebaker except for the Corvette 327 CI engine (and that engine was no slouch) A hand made dream car!

Comment

Originally posted by rgallatin View Post
              Thanks for the Avanti II serial number info. I plan to integrate some of this into the Altman pages and the Avanti II registries.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30905[/ATTACH]
              This photo of a white Avanti is on the factory brochure I received at the 1983 new car auto show in Boston, Massachusetts. There were two '83 Avantis on display there. Little did I know that I would own one of the two eleven years later!

Comment

I used to own RQA 0298...sold it to a fellow from Maine. Original color was Cadillac 'Tropic Green' Firemist. Anyone seen it around? (Not in Avanti Registry or AOAI, as far as I know)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  I used to own RQA 0298...sold it to a fellow from Maine. Original color was Cadillac 'Tropic Green' Firemist. Anyone seen it around? (Not in Avanti Registry or AOAI, as far as I know)
                  That would be one of the 56 1969 models.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    That would be one of the 56 1969 models.
                    It is a '69, but the production order reveals something interesting......whoever ordered this Avanti must have decided not to buy it...It must have sat at the factory unused for a time....then sold and titled as a 1971 model Avanti. I still have the documentation on this. ALSO...it was equipped with rather unusual seating....a 'high back' bucket seat on the driver's side, and a 'low back' Studebaker Avanti type bucket seat on the passenger side.....all seating done up in the same tan 'tweed type' upholstery.

Comment

From what I understand from others (I know...third-hand information), it wasn't unknown for cars that went unsold to be retitled for the year they were sold. They would even be repainted if necessary and other changes made to facilitate the sale.

Since Avanti Motors continually built cars, even if not special ordered, this could have been a car built "on spec" for inventory...either for a dealer or for the factory itself.

While I'm not up on the law that required head rests for new production after a certain date, that this car had a drivers side high-back seat could have been to satisfy the federal law if sold as a '71 model year car.

According to copies of some factory documents I have, Avanti Motors began using the "Command Center High Back" seats starting with RQA0415, with the exceptions of RQA0422, RQA0416, RQA0417, RQA0418 and RQA0423. Since cars weren't aways sold or built in strict order of serial numbers, I would surmise the exceptions would have been completed before Avanti Motors had to comply with the federal regulation. Also, according to this documentation, this was implemented during the 1970 model year. I would also surmise all "RQB" vehicles were equipped with the high-back seats from the factory.

Comment

What Gunslinger wrote is interesting. It would also be interesting to hear from owners of other Avanti II's that were built with 'unusual' features. Also from owners of the rare factory 4 speed Avanti II's.

Comment

I don't know how many Avanti II's were built with 4-speeds...certainly far less percentage-wise than Studebaker Avantis, but it was in '69 that Hurst came out with an Avanti application shifter, so there must have been sufficient demand (or hoped for demand) for Hurst to be convinced to produce them. I can't see Hurst going to the engineering expense to come out with a shifter for an otherwise dead application that ended production in 1963.

I've read of numerous unusual features for Avanti II's...one car was built with a real marble inlay for the gauges which was supplied by the buyer...Julius Erving ("Dr. J") ordered a white-on-white Avanti with the seats modified for his height and long legs, etc. It makes one wonder whether these highly individualized cars still exist...and if so...do the current owners know the car's history?

There was also the supercharged Avanti II built for Robert Morrison of Molded Fiberglass. It was built with an ugly hump in the hood for supercharger clearance...apparently modifying the hood was easier than fabricating custom brackets for the blower, alternator, etc. That car was for sale some years back...I considered going after it but didn't. Maybe a dumb move on my part but I don't lose sleep over it.

Comment

Just a quick observation on the Hurst shifter. The one from my 74 (OEM 4-speed) looks pretty much like any other GM based Hurst Competition shifter but the lever has been cut and rewelded to fit the Avanti opening. It has to be OEM because I purchased it from the son of the OP and the lever had been chromed after welding. Not much effort whether Hurst or Avanti made the mods.

Bob

Comment

You have a point...the shifter may have been a minor modification easily done and required little effort. There was a print ad from Hurst announcing its availability back in the day. I still can't imagine Hurst going to the trouble without at least some market research...or requests from Avanti owners and/or Avanti Motors.

Comment

Working...
                              X