Stainless C-body window frames questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless C-body window frames questions

Almost every Hawk I have ever had, stripped, parted out, or killed had stainless flip out window frames.
    My '61 has 'em...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The glass itself on all '53 and up C-bodies was within a stainless frame that was hinged to the window garnish moulding[sic]. That moulding was initially painted interior trim color and was later available chrome plated. I'm probably wrong but have never seen that in stainless, and I've never seen the glass framed by anything other than stainless.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PC230075.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1687034
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Okay so I am not savvy on the rear side windows. I concede they are all stainless. So can anyone answer the second part of the question? Were there any stainless A pillar vent frames made for the C-body?

JK

Comment

My 55 President coupe had chrome for the door vent windows. Possibly the lower trim levels are black. 59-60 Lark sedan were chrome or painted black according to trim level. I'm thinking my 56 Power Hawk had black door vent frames. jimmijim
          Last edited by jimmijim8; 12-23-2013, 09:23 PM.
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
            Okay so I am not savvy on the rear side windows. I concede they are all stainless. So can anyone answer the second part of the question? Were there any stainless A pillar vent frames made for the C-body?
            JK
            Hey, I wasn't pickin' on you, Jon... Just verbalizing my personal experience....
            I think the vent window frames are stainless also...
            I've never seen them with the chrome peeling off and the frames rotted off.
            (But memories can be fleeting)
            I remember looking at a chopped top Rene Harger did on a '53, and studied his TIG welds on those very frames...

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Merry Xmass On my 55 c body both door and 1/4 windows are painted black. It was pretty easy to find ss frames for the 1/4 window but for the door all I could find were chrome frames.

Comment

See, I'm learning new stuff every day, too....

Jeff

Comment

Buttercup has rusty and painted vent glass and quarter glass frames.

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  See, I'm learning new stuff every day, too....
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

As Jim said in post #5, it is a Trim Level thing, the Low level Cars like Buttercup (sorry Babe) and Flight Hawks/Power Hawks, have the Black Painted Steel Vent Window & 1/4 Window Frames.

Most Studebaker "shiny" Vent Window frames are rusting Chrome, but probably not all Models.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My '61 has chrome on the front door vents,stainless on the quarter vents.[I thought this was the case,but had to go out to the garage to verify]
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

My 56 Flight Hawk had stainless vent window frames.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

To all,

After Santa left today I went to where my 61 C-body Hawk is stored for the winter and of course it has stainless rear quarter windows. lesson learned. No big deal as the pair I bought are for the hotrod project that has none so all is well. But, back to the other half of the question,

Did Studebaker make a C-body car with a "Stainless" framed A pillar vent window? BEZHAWK says he had one. Anyone still have one? Like Jeff said, always learning.

JK

Comment

Working...
                          X