restoration woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoration woes

This tome will likely be longwinded, so I am apologizing before I start.

In his excellent (as usual) article in the August TW, Fred Fox says that one of the reasons he hadn't dealt with Studes of the late twenties before was because of Studebakers "no model year" policy. They changed things whenever they felt like it and this can make restoring - and categorizing - them difficult.
    As the owner of a late 1927 Dictator, I know whereof Fred speaks! Case in point is the radiator and rad shell used between 1925-27. The design was changed 4 times, but the appearance wasn't. If you are looking at one at a swap meet, you need a tape measure to tell the difference, because they all look the same off the car. The only easily recognized difference was that early ones were nickel plated and later ones chromed. Each one requires a different core. Likewise, the engine hood changed each time the rad shell changed. Again, a tape measure is required because they all look the same.
    The one that has me tearing out what little hair I have left has to do with the distributor. Early 27 Dictators used Wagner electrical equipment. The distributors were called "fully automatic" because they did not have a manual spark control on the dash. As Fred states, this was changed to a "semi-automatic" spark control using a manual control on the dash and supplied by Remy(Model 626K), but not at the number Fred says in his article(sorry Fred!). The change to semi-automatic actually occurred at engine #EU40799. But, at #EU40909 - the number Fred lists - it was changed again to Remy Model 636P! A little simple math will reveal that only 110 engines left the factory with 626K distributors!!
    I have a 1930 Chilton interchange manual. The name Wagner is not mentioned even once in relation to electrical equipment. Studebaker can't have been the only company using it. The manual lists some far more obscure names such as DeJon and Dyneto, but Wagner just vanishes. What happened? Of the dozen or so 1920's Studes in my neck of the woods, all of them have Wagner ignition - except mine. I have a Remy 636P distributor. Electrical parts books of the period don't list a 636P! Aaargh @#$%!!! It is the correct one for my car. These are only a couple of the dozens of running changes Stude made to the Dictator. Canadian production was only 1877 cars. That would mean very few were completely identical. Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble, guys. Believe me, restoring post war Studes is a walk in the park by comparison.

Terry
    1927 Dictator Custom sedan
    1954 Commander Starliner

I sense your frustration, Terry.
    Have you thought about sending these thoughts as a letter to the Editor of the Antique Studebaker Review? rtq11@aol.com
    I suspect yours is a shared dilemma.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I sense your frustration, Terry.
      Have you thought about sending these thoughts as a letter to the Editor of the Antique Studebaker Review? rtq11@aol.com
      I suspect yours is a shared dilemma.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Good luck with your project and I do sympathize with you. Even new cars make running changes that can cause problems with fitment. Sometime the part number difference is just because of a chance in vendors and sometimes it's a real design change. I'm sure that the late '20's cars are probably the most problematic, but hardly alone.

They say the search can be half the fun. You must be having a riot !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Good luck with your project and I do sympathize with you. Even new cars make running changes that can cause problems with fitment. Sometime the part number difference is just because of a chance in vendors and sometimes it's a real design change. I'm sure that the late '20's cars are probably the most problematic, but hardly alone.

They say the search can be half the fun. You must be having a riot !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Doing a Google search I came across the following company which rebuilds Delco Remy Distributors from the late 1920s and early 1930s which covers your period. It sounds like the Delco company purchased Remy hence the Delco Remy name. Anyhow, the business is Classic and Exotic Service, Inc
            2032 Heide Troy Michigan 48084 email address is (restoration) restoration@classicandexotic.com and for product queries parts@classicandexotic.com.

If anyone can assist you I feel sure these people can.

John Clements
            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
            Lockleys South Australia
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Doing a Google search I came across the following company which rebuilds Delco Remy Distributors from the late 1920s and early 1930s which covers your period. It sounds like the Delco company purchased Remy hence the Delco Remy name. Anyhow, the business is Classic and Exotic Service, Inc
              2032 Heide Troy Michigan 48084 email address is (restoration) restoration@classicandexotic.com and for product queries parts@classicandexotic.com.

If anyone can assist you I feel sure these people can.

John Clements
              Lockleys South Australia
              John Clements

Comment

A further search revealed a company Remy Inc spun off from GM 10 years ago, which states that Remy and Delco distributors were a product of GM from 1918 -

I don't know if they can assist you, but feel sure that between the two businesses I have mentioned you should be able to get your distributor rebuilt and it's Happy Studebakering once again for you.

John Clements
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements

Comment

A further search revealed a company Remy Inc spun off from GM 10 years ago, which states that Remy and Delco distributors were a product of GM from 1918 -

I don't know if they can assist you, but feel sure that between the two businesses I have mentioned you should be able to get your distributor rebuilt and it's Happy Studebakering once again for you.

John Clements
                  Lockleys South Australia
                  John Clements

Comment

Working...
                  X