Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me shoot two birds with one stone, thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Help me shoot two birds with one stone, thanks!

Hey y'all, my names mike and I'm new to the forums, I'm 17 and do allot of mechanic work along with work in builds or projects, yes you guessed it I was raised in the shops my whole life haha, however I'm a muscle and classic car guy, I just love the cars shapes, curves and style, it's just downright sexy. Now, I did some work for a fellow in my neighborhood rebuilding his fathers engine, which was a Plymouth 440 project. As I got done and dropped it in, the bad news hit, he couldn't pay me, so as we stood there, he offered a trade for a 1957 studebaker champion sedan, which I took.Now in that time, I took her back to my place, redid the flooring, put in new replacement sheet metal and redid all the braking on the vehicle, however this is where I got screwed, he tried doing the brake work and there is NO banjo bolt for her, I had even got her running too, I put on a new distributor cap, and factory from the box carter carburetor, and had her running like a champ. I had my hopes so high to drive her that day but sadly I've been trying to lok for one for her but can't seem to find one anywhere does anyone know where? Does Cathcart have any or?. I would be so greatful if someone here could tell me where I can find a banjo bolt for her the guy gave me books on the specs, so here it is for the bolt, any help I get I'll be very greatful for. You can tell I'm just desperate to drive her haha.shes all solid, from Texas.
    Bolt specs are: m/c 1/2"-20 x 1-5/32 gaskets are 33/64 and 39/64
    The new carb is feeding the motor too much gas, but I'm sure I can adjust it like any other carb like the 350s.
    Attached Files

Are you talking about the bolt that screws into the back of the master cyl. thru the brass fitting? Stude vendors have them. If you don't find it, I think I can scratch a used one up. I am sure someone here can. let us know, OBTW, Welcome to the forum

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
      Are you talking about the bolt that screws into the back of the master cyl. thru the brass fitting? Stude vendors have them. If you don't find it, I think I can scratch a used one up. I am sure someone here can. let us know, OBTW, Welcome to the forum
      yes sir, that's the exact piece I'm talking about bolts up right to the master cycl though a brass y joint, just can't to find it anywhere, not even on studebaker sites if you know a vendor who has one I'd be more than happy to call or email them to order it, I've been dreaming to drive her around more, but can't without brakes. And thanks for the welcome!

Comment

Do you have the brass fitting? I will check the bolt tomorrow

Comment

Haha sure do
          Attached Files

Comment

These are the parts you will need.

195470 https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud..._id=0014&xm=on
            Click image for larger version

Name:	195470.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1686996
            185164 https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud..._id=0015&xm=on

Name:	brk216.jpg
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	1686997
            185165 https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud..._id=0016&xm=on

Name:	brk216.jpg
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	1686997
            189696 http://www.studebaker-intl.com/PDF/2...log_brakes.pdf

Name:	526833i.jpg
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	1686998
            (which you will have to go to page 258) you will find the bolt and the Y-fitting.

All four parts are not at both these sites but a conbination of the two.

I see you have the "Y" fitting.

Comment

Haha there's that pesky bolt and washers thank you guys so much, y'all are life savers, thanks Skybolt and flashback,

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
                We hope to see you in the Studebaker Drivers Club roster before too long. If you are into muscle cars... check out the January 2014 MUSCLECAR REVIEW magazine, page32 and beyond.
                Yes Studebaker produced "muscle cars", but they were hiding below the radar.

Comment

An older style auto parts store should have those brass washers.... They use to have trays with all different sizes. If you are lucky enough to have such a store close to you they may have them.
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Copper washers, brass has nickle alloyed into it, and is harder. Copper deforms to make a seal with the concentric grooves formed into the brass fitting, and iron master cylinder. One can in a pinch (or emergency) soften the copper washers to reuse by annealing them.
                    You heat them red hot,and let them cool slowly.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                    X