1962 Lark confusion: white vs. black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Lark confusion: white vs. black

I'll throw this out there for some help. Were all the dash gauges and knobs for the 1962 Larks white ? Did any come black ?

I believe 1962 Lark - no matter what trim level - all had white dash knobs. I don't know how hard it is now, but it was a lot of fun 20 years ago finding a cigarette lighter knob for my '62 Y6 - cannot imagine what it might be like now...

Comment

My 62 Regal Convertible has black knobs...............
      Jack White
      Charlotte,NC
      North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

I do recall about a year ago obtaining a small black faced clock that evidentially came off a 1962 Lark Regal. I have since sold it but I do have a white faced clock that looks almost identical to a 1961 Lark clock with the exception of a black ring that came of a 1962 Deluxe model. I will try to post some pictures later.
        1947 Studebaker M-5
        1946 Studebaker M-5
        1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
        1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
        1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Yep all White, including the Window Crank Knobs. the '61 and '66 "Plastic" Trim (Knobs) were Black.

It would make a lot of difference on other things than knobs though when you have '62 "Deluxe's" vs "Regal's","Daytona's" and "Cruisers" which all had the "Nicer" Black Gauges, Dash padding etc.

The Regal Dash in Pic #2 has the wrong Instrument Cluster and probably Speedometer.

Another "cheap trick" Studebaker used to make the '62 Larks look different than the '61's, is the '62 Deluxe's that had the Glove Box Door and Instrument surround area PAINTED, were dash color on '62, and White on '61, which IMHO actually looked better, a step backwards?
          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-20-2013, 02:25 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I guess someone changed my knobs, gages, clock and radio...............

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
            My 62 Regal Convertible has black knobs...............
            Jack White
            Charlotte,NC
            North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              I'll throw this out there for some help. Were all the dash gauges and knobs for the 1962 Larks white ? Did any come black ?
              The gauges were predominantly black on Regal, Daytona, and Cruisers, and predominantly white on Deluxe models, while the knobs were white on ALL models.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The Regal Dash in Pic #2 has the wrong Instrument Cluster and probably Speedometer.
                The lower photo of the Deluxe (or fleet) dash appears correct. Its the top one of the Cruiser dash above it, which has 1961 gauges in it. A pre-production photo, perhaps?

Craig

Comment

I have two identically optioned Daytona convertibles in my fleet, both have white knobs and black faced gauges. the dashes are both painted wood grain which include the gauge surrounds and the glove compartment doors, could be a Daytona or convertible only item, anyone know?-Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                    I have two identically optioned Daytona convertibles in my fleet, both have white knobs and black faced gauges. the dashes are both painted wood grain which include the gauge surrounds and the glove compartment doors, could be a Daytona or convertible only item, anyone know?-Bill
                    Cruisers and Daytonas had the imitation woodgrain on the dash.

Craig

Comment

Hello,

Here are some pictures of the clocks at least....Maybe this will help

1962 Regal/Daytona???

1962 Deluxe
                      1947 Studebaker M-5
                      1946 Studebaker M-5
                      1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                      1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                      1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
                        I guess someone changed my knobs, gages, clock and radio...............
                        Is it any early '62? If so, maybe Studebaker was using up leftover '61 parts at the factory? Does anyone know whether Studebaker did this, especially in the '60s, when they were struggling to stay afloat?

Comment

What's interesting in what appear to be factory photos in 62 Champ's post is that they both show a hand throttle with a "turn to lock" feature. What would be the purpose of a hand throttle? Could it be used as a simple cruise control?
                          Last edited by dpson; 12-21-2013, 05:54 AM.
                          Dan Peterson
                          Montpelier, VT
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

62 Champ: What are those pictures of/from ? A Cruiser ? There are many things in your pics that suggest a modified interior.....DO you know for sure ? I'm questioning this based upon my '62 Lark wagon (P6), which I think is original (??) It has black gauges and black clock, white knobs, white shift and directional levers and window cranks....It also has the 2 white outboard gauges for amps and Oil pressure like pic'd above.....We need an educated summary ...... Rich ??

Comment

The "62 Lark" brochure, PD-62-08, shows white knobs.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X