R2 heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 heads

I've got a pair of R2 heads available. 1557582 Bare (with guides), grease-free - good seats. $500 + shipping.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Just wondered if they were NOS or good used?

Comment

Funny, That's probably the most common head we got in Australia and you can't give them away.
      pb

Comment

Isn't the 1557582 casting the same as what was used on many of the truck engines?

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
          Isn't the 1557582 casting the same as what was used on many of the truck engines?
          YES....They are

Comment

Yea...a bit pricey for bare heads.
            Now if they were R3 heads...you could get a four digit price for those, but for a normal Stude head, small valves, normal port sizes, nothing special...

Mike

Comment

Reading the subject line of this post I was sure there was a joke coming . . . "R2 Heads better than one?"
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

To the seller's benefit, the 582 castings are not common. Of the more than a dozen sets of heads I have on hand, none were 582 and I had to import a pair from SoCal via Colorado Springs and Canada to Spokane.

On the other hand, because Studebaker thinned the combustion chamber to increase capacity/lower compression, the 582s are pretty much the only Stude V8 head which cracks in use, especially in R2 use. Any heads should come with a magnaflux inspection sheet stating no cracks were found.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  To the seller's benefit, the 582 castings are not common. Of the more than a dozen sets of heads I have on hand, none were 582 and I had to import a pair from SoCal via Colorado Springs and Canada to Spokane.

On the other hand, because Studebaker thinned the combustion chamber to increase capacity/lower compression, the 582s are pretty much the only Stude V8 head which cracks in use, especially in R2 use. Any heads should come with a magnaflux inspection sheet stating no cracks were found.

jack vines

If you are going bone stock original on an R2 trailer queen, then the 1557582 heads are a good price. Prices are up on everything..

But as Jack noted there are issues in using these heads. And if you are going to run it, you will have to clean up the chamber which will increase the CCs and lower the compression even more.

My current R2 build will use the 1557570 heads, opened up, smoothed out, and matched CCs close to that of the 1557582. I want to run mine, and run it hard, so I'll get a lot of "Those heads are not original," but who cares.

You can buy a Champ truck for the heads. Here is one for 1500.00

but now you have to dispose of the truck with no heads, so 500.00 is a fair price since they are "scares."

Comment

Working...
                  X