Radiator recore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator recore

OK, where can I get a fair price on a radiator recore. The guy I've been dealing with started at $250 a few years back, then charged N8 around $350 2 years back, now he said "$500-$600" for a 4 row recore of bt R2 GT's radiator. The prices are going nuts around here, just spent $95 to mount and balance 4 tires with new stems and the old tire disposal fee.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

John,
    I've been having mine done at Union Radiator on Lycoming Creek Rd in williamsport, Pa. They are good guys. You would need to talk to them yourself but, if it sounds promising, I could probably arrange to have it picked up at their shop and deliver it to Reedsville. They did a nice original recore on a Coupe Express for me, as well as repairing my '63 radiator, AC evaporator and heater cores. Tell them the Studebaker guy from their uniform supplier referred you. That, and a nickel, as they say...
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

John,
      I've been having mine done at Union Radiator on Lycoming Creek Rd in williamsport, Pa. They are good guys. You would need to talk to them yourself but, if it sounds promising, I could probably arrange to have it picked up at their shop and deliver it to Reedsville. They did a nice original recore on a Coupe Express for me, as well as repairing my '63 radiator, AC evaporator and heater cores. Tell them the Studebaker guy from their uniform supplier referred you. That, and a nickel, as they say...
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

JDP

I would highly recommend Bill Sovitski of Elizabeth Radiator, in Elizabeth, PA. He's an SDC member who does excellent work at a fair price. I was very happy with the recore that he did for my Daytona. His number is (412) 384-5310.

Jim Bradley
        '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

JDP

I would highly recommend Bill Sovitski of Elizabeth Radiator, in Elizabeth, PA. He's an SDC member who does excellent work at a fair price. I was very happy with the recore that he did for my Daytona. His number is (412) 384-5310.

Jim Bradley
          '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

I had mine done at Percifields Radiator in columbus indiana in 2005 and it was 300 bucks. if it will help you out i can get a quote, then you would have to ship it.

Erin Hays
            "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
            RZRECTD
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Lark
            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

I had mine done at Percifields Radiator in columbus indiana in 2005 and it was 300 bucks. if it will help you out i can get a quote, then you would have to ship it.

Erin Hays
              "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
              RZRECTD
              1961 Hawk
              1962 Lark
              1963 Wagonaire

Comment

JP,
                In my most recent trip to the radiator shop that I use, the owner explained that the particular size of the Stude radiator core (exc. Avanti), with the "headers" (this is the half of the tank that is soldered to the top and bottom of the core) factory installed, is almost impossible to find. If you can locate one, they're priced out of site. The other alternative is to remove the header from the old core, top and bottom, and re-install it on the new "universal" core. That is what makes the job now very labor intensive. This is to the point where you could almost buy one of the "almost-fits" aluminum Chebby? radiators from Summit/Jegs and paint it black. Good luck on your quest for the radiator.

Dan Miller
                Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

JP,
                  In my most recent trip to the radiator shop that I use, the owner explained that the particular size of the Stude radiator core (exc. Avanti), with the "headers" (this is the half of the tank that is soldered to the top and bottom of the core) factory installed, is almost impossible to find. If you can locate one, they're priced out of site. The other alternative is to remove the header from the old core, top and bottom, and re-install it on the new "universal" core. That is what makes the job now very labor intensive. This is to the point where you could almost buy one of the "almost-fits" aluminum Chebby? radiators from Summit/Jegs and paint it black. Good luck on your quest for the radiator.

Dan Miller
                  Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                  Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

I second what Dan just stated. The headers are almost extinct for Studebaker radiators. The guy who did mine found one in Ohio. I will get in touch with him on Monday, if you want, and find out where he got it, maybe they have another.
                    That seems to be the big problem in redoing Stude radiators. That, and the fact that the do not make 14 fin two row radiators any more. They have gone to 12 fin, 3 row, radiators, for better air flow. Let me know if you want me to find that out about the header.

Chuck

Comment

I second what Dan just stated. The headers are almost extinct for Studebaker radiators. The guy who did mine found one in Ohio. I will get in touch with him on Monday, if you want, and find out where he got it, maybe they have another.
                      That seems to be the big problem in redoing Stude radiators. That, and the fact that the do not make 14 fin two row radiators any more. They have gone to 12 fin, 3 row, radiators, for better air flow. Let me know if you want me to find that out about the header.

Chuck

Comment

The other problem is that copper and brass prices are about 5 times what they were just a few years ago...

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

The other problem is that copper and brass prices are about 5 times what they were just a few years ago...

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Crap, I'm starting to suffer some serious pucker factor...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Crap, I'm starting to suffer some serious pucker factor...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X