Finally, After 10 1/2 Years....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, After 10 1/2 Years....

...the initial list for restoring our car is complete. Installation of rechromed dash metal and a 53 wheel cover for the continental spare (the other four are 54's) was completed earlier today. It all started when we trailered the car here from South Dakota Labor Day weekend, 2003. The lengthy and costly process has been well worth it as driving and showing our car has been and, hopefully, will continue to be great fun for us. With six local shows coming up btween January 11 and March 8 we will continue to be out there educating people about our unique custom and about Studes in general.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

That's great, Tim!

Sure would like to see it "in person." Maybe, some day!
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Very nice restoration of a period custom. An "almost" Studemino! And the "back seat" will fit two comfortably as long as they don't mind clinging onto the Continental Kit for dear life. . .

Or maybe this is the one '53 Business Coupe that was built (joke). Hey, Corvanti, what say you?

Seriously, this is a fine machine. And what lies beneath the sheet metal is a work of art, too. You have every right to be proud of your hard work!

Comment

A lot of work. I don't have that much patience.

Comment

Congrats, Tim!

It's a beautiful car, an exceptional restoration, and a fine example of a well thought out 50's custom. I'm sure you will continue to enjoy it.

Thanks for bringing it back to life. So many of these were lost for good when the next new thing came along. Just as it's proper to preserve some Studebakers just as the factory did them, it is equally important to preserve some examples as they were customized "back in the day".
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
            maybe this is the one '53 Business Coupe that was built (joke). Hey, Corvanti, what say you?
            i say that i'd take her in a minute!!!

awesome build!

and maybe Woody and Mike could use some of the body styling cues for their roadster projects!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Congratulations Tim! I hope you will bring it up to Sacramento for the Zone meet in May. Then we can park side by side!
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

It is a beauty Tim. I'm glad we live close enough that I get to see it quite often.

Denny L

Comment

Several of you who have already posted replies on this thread have been very supportive over the years. Special thanks to Dick Steinkamp who many years ago urged me to not let any naysayers discourage the restoration of a car that was customized 60 years ago by my wife's father and uncle. While many head scratchers want to know "What the heck is that?", it just gives us great opportunities to educate people about Studebakers.
                  Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                  jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X