PDA

View Full Version : 1950 Commander Headlight Rims....Trade anyone???

61LaRk4dr
12-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Hello,

As promised from my last post... but will reiterate as it appears only three people commented on it (insert smiley face here). I think several more actually read it, but I digress. I am offering up a pair of drver+ quality headlight rims for a 1950 Commander. I believe they are complete, but I think the tabs may be missing (check first picture in the second row). What's the price you might wonder? The price is, as it says in the title, what you have to trade for them. I bought them at the time not knowing that they would not benefit me in my restoration of my 1951 LC, but I am still hoping that they can be used to further my project along. I am mainly looking for a comparable drivers quality set of headlight rims for my 51'. The original rims that I have are in very bad shape and would cost a fortune to fix. I am also open to other items that will advance my restoration such as:

- Working roll-up antenna of that era (maybe even vacuum antenna)
- Working radio
- Tail light housings (non-pitted)
- Pair of backup lights
- Other chrome appointments (fender spears, grill pieces, hood ornaments, name badges)
- Bullet nose assembly

I figured I would give this a shot first, since I am not looking for money MORE than looking to move my project forward. I will leave the offer on the table for about three weeks, at which time I will post on eBay. Please send me a PM if interested and what you want to trade.

Thank you

http://imageshack.us/a/img196/6957/xafj.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img571/8194/ct8d.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img854/1243/5e4w.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img96/6674/2k2a.jpg

sals54
12-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Contact Roy Valdez, here on the forum. He specializes in 50 51s and he also does resto work on the roll up antennas. That could be a trade made in heaven.

SN-60
12-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Boy, those '50 Commander headlight doors really are HUGE in comparison with the more common Champ items!

southbend
12-14-2013, 08:19 AM
These are some really nice rims. Fortunately, my '50 Land Cruiser is an early model with the painted rims. Saves some money on re-chroming, at least, although the chrome rims are nicer looking, IMO. Not to hijack the thread, but I thought I'd share this here. According to the build sheet I got from SNM, the order for my car was written on 8/23, the "Date to Ship" was 8/30, but the final assembly date was 10-6-49. I guess all good things come to those who wait. . .

unclemiltie
12-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Mark, the chrome rims sure dress up and enhance the front of a 50 Commander

southbend
12-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Mark, the chrome rims sure dress up and enhance the front of a 50 Commander

I agree. Wish I had a later '50 LC because I really do like the chrome rims. But I think I'll keep this one as it came from the factory for now. Besides, IMO the painted rims make the bullet nose all that more prominent. And now I have the '35 asking me for an allowance, too. Boy, these kids sure can be expensive to raise! :) Also, I don't have anything to trade :(

RadioRoy
12-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Yes, the tabs are missing and would have to be fabricated or replaced to use these headlight doors.

61LaRk4dr
12-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Yes, the tabs are missing and would have to be fabricated or replaced to use these headlight doors.

That is what I was afraid of.

studegary
12-15-2013, 11:25 AM
I agree. Wish I had a later '50 LC because I really do like the chrome rims. But I think I'll keep this one as it came from the factory for now. Besides, IMO the painted rims make the bullet nose all that more prominent. (

Bob Bourke wanted the headlight rims to be painted to keep the emphasis on the nose. Studebaker management/dealers wanted more chrome/flash. I know of 1950s that were changed from painted to chrome when new, but not the other way around.

southbend
12-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Bob Bourke wanted the headlight rims to be painted to keep the emphasis on the nose. Studebaker management/dealers wanted more chrome/flash. I know of 1950s that were changed from painted to chrome when new, but not the other way around.

I always wondered why the change. Now I know. Thanks, Gary.

SN-60
12-15-2013, 03:23 PM

J-B Weld would probably save the day here!

unclemiltie
12-16-2013, 08:32 AM
If you are careful you can drill a couple small holes in the rim (the clips have them in the bottom where they were riveted on) and use a couple short small screws to reattach. I have used both the screw and JB Weld method to attach the clips to Stude headlight rims successfully. The screw method seems more permanent to me.

Rooneytoons
12-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Pm sent :!: :!: