A Couple of Rare Packards!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple of Rare Packards!

Here's a sight that You don't see every day. Two 1956 Packard Caribbean HARDTOPS parked side-by-side! They were brought to the Ocean Bay Chapter's 'Octoberfest' that was held in Brookline, Massachusetts. The tri-tone example is absolutely pristine. The two-tone job was also in very nice shape, and is actually the rarer of the two, as very few '56 Caribbeans, whether hardtop or the more numerous convertible, were painted two-tone. Old SN-60 really did a double take when the two-tone job arrived, as years ago I owned the twin to this car....except Mine was the convertible version.
    I began to explain to the owners of these two Packards all the problems that are inherent with Packard V8 engines. Strangely, they both jumped in their Packards and quickly drove away!
    Attached Files

1956 Caribbean Hardtop (5680-5697): 263 assembled.

1956 Caribbean Convertible (5680-5699): 276 assembled.

I also owned a 1956 Caribbean H/T, this was in 1975/76, so don't recall the colors.

AFAIK, only one 1956 Caribbean Convertible was painted all black, the same person that ordered it also ordered an all black 1955 Caribbean Convertible (5580-5588).

Both cars are now owned by a PI member in Anaheim.
    Last edited by WinM1895; 12-13-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

WinM1895....You seem to know Your Packards! Would You happen to know: 1) How many two-tone Caribbeans (both body styles) were produced in 1956? and 2) Were there actually ANY special order standard shift Caribbeans built in 1956?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        WinM1895....You seem to know Your Packards! Would You happen to know: 1) How many two-tone Caribbeans (both body styles) were produced in 1956? and 2) Were there actually ANY special order standard shift Caribbeans built in 1956?
        I don't recall how many tu-tone Caribbeans were sold, but I once owned a 1955 Patrician that was tri-toned (dark blue/white/light blue).

It was sold new at Simonson-Schactmayer, the S-P dealer in Santa Monica.

I later traded it straight across for a 1947 Custom Super 8 sedan to a pal of mine, he still owns it today.

Borg Warner T-85 3 M/T with or without O/D could ordered on all 1955 & 1956 Packards and Clippers.

I once owned 2 1955 Clipper Deluxes, one with, t'other w/o O/D. Both were mangy curs, the only reason I bought them was for the T-85's.
        Last edited by WinM1895; 12-13-2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I owned a 56 Patrician with OD, wish I still did!
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Ed, is that a vinyl top I think I see.and if so is it factory ?,should be a nice solid driving car.
            Here's a sight that You don't see every day. Two 1956 Packard Caribbean HARDTOPS parked side-by-side! They were brought to the Ocean Bay Chapter's 'Octoberfest' that was held in Brookline, Massachusetts. The tri-tone example is absolutely pristine. The two-tone job was also in very nice shape, and is actually the rarer of the two, as very few '56 Caribbeans, whether hardtop or the more numerous convertible, were painted two-tone. Old SN-60 really did a double take when the two-tone job arrived, as years ago I owned the twin to this car....except Mine was the convertible version.
            I began to explain to the owners of these two Packards all the problems that are inherent with Packard V8 engines. Strangely, they both jumped in their Packards and quickly drove away!
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Would not mind owning a Packard with a V-8 myself.

Comment

sals54

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                  Ed, is that a vinyl top I think I see.and if so is it factory ?,should be a nice solid driving car.
                  Joe, Yes, I'm quite sure that the '56 Packard Caribbean Hardtops came standard with a vinyl roof. I believe the material was referred to as 'Hypalon'. Could this have been the auto industry's first use of a vinyl-like covered roof panel in production?

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                    Sal, it looks like the real deal to me, something like a 1937 with a Cantrell body, nice wagon.
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Joe, Yes, I'm quite sure that the '56 Packard Caribbean Hardtops came standard with a vinyl roof. I believe the material was referred to as 'Hypalon'. Could this have been the auto industry's first use of a vinyl-like covered roof panel in production?
                      The '56 Caribbean hardtop vinyl roof was a notorious water trap, and many rusted out fast. Probably the first postwar car with a vinyl top was the 1949 Kaiser Virginian.

Craig

Comment

One of the the few times when seeing double is a good thing. Thanks for posting the pics of these rare and beautiful cars.

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
                          One of the the few times when seeing double is a good thing. Thanks for posting the pics of these rare and beautiful cars.
                          You are very welcome....they ARE true beauties.....Imagine..two cars, FOUR carburetors! I'll post a photo of that equally beautiful '54 Caribbean later today. (You can just see it to the right of the black and white '56 Caribbean.

Comment

Here's a photo of the beautiful '54 Packard Caribbean that was shown at the SDC 'Ocean Bay Chapter' Octoberfest meet!
                            Attached Files

Comment

I own the match of the tri toned Caribbean, same colors, and in reasonably good condition. I bought it in Ontario about 20 years ago and drove it home to Nova Scotia. I have put a lot of miles on it since with no major problems. The engine problems that are referred to are mostly due to the oil pump, which was a double pump, one section for oil and a second section which was a vacuum pump to keep the vacuum wipers going when the engine was revved. Problems would develop when air was drawn into the system. I had quite an experience with the pump in my car. I belonged to the Packard Club, and had read all kinds of write-ups on the pump, claiming that air was getting in along the drive between the two sections of the pump. A member sold rebuilt pumps with a brass bushing on the drive, which would cure the problem. Although I wasn't having any problems except a bit of lifter clatter at idle and during slow drives such as in parades, I ordered a rebuilt pump. When I dropped the pan to install it, the first thing I found was that someone was in there before, as the vacuum pump was gone, and a solid plate closed off the face where the vacuum pump would mount. I installed the new pump, and my troubles really began. Now the lifters rattled continually, so bad that you didn't dare drive the car. I called the supplier, and he sent me a second pump. I installed it with the same result. He claimed there must be something other than the pump causing the problem. I installed a new set of lifters- same result. I changed main bearings [they had some wear, and I'm sure they were why my lifters would go down at idle or slow drives]- same result. At this point I rebuilt my original oil pump, without a vacuum pump as it was when I first dropped the pan. Put everything back together and have had no problem since. The vacuum pump is the problem with these engines- don't let anyone tell you different. It cost me about $1500.00 and lots of frustration to find this out. Lots of miles have gone on the car since with no lifter noise.
                              Yes, the cars did come with vinyl roofs, and originally the roof was not painted, so when water got under the vinyl you can imagine the result. Mine had been replaced before I bought the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X