More pix (everybody likes pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More pix (everybody likes pics)

A guy at the Osceola (WI) show had this cool old flathead-6 powered race car. As soon as we were next to it, he asked if my girl wanted to sit in it (he asked, not me... I've never been to a show where people encouraged my kids to get near their stuff.) He did give us a post card that had a ton of info about the car, it's age, history, specs, etc. OF course I can't find it now. Argh.

Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Love me some old racecars!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I've never seen a triple-carb direct-flow set-up on a Champ 6 flathead. What kind of carb/injector is that? There is a very similar Champ 6-powered sprint car in the Collings Foundation museum in Massachusetts; it has a dual-carb manifold.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	stude_sprint_car_intake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1686851Click image for larger version

Name:	stude_sprint.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1686852
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Was the Stude engine common to use in race cars like this, or was it "whatever fits in the engine compartment"? I did think the engine looked like it meant business though.
        Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

One thing I really enjoy at car shows is letting kids get in the car "to drive" if they seem interested in it. Their excitement and smiles are great to watch and that is what they will remember.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
            One thing I really enjoy at car shows is letting kids get in the car "to drive" if they seem interested in it. Their excitement and smiles are great to watch and that is what they will remember.
            I agree. I do the same thing with "kids" of all ages. Always puts a smile on the faces of all involved (car owner included). For me, it's more rewarding than driving away with a trophy or ribbon in the back seat.

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
              I've never seen a triple-carb direct-flow set-up on a Champ 6 flathead. What kind of carb/injector is that? There is a very similar Champ 6-powered sprint car in the Collings Foundation museum in Massachusetts; it has a dual-carb manifold.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]30443[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30444[/ATTACH]
              If Mr. Ash hasn't seen one before, it must be a rare set-up! Would love to learn more about it.

Comment

When a youngster shows interest in my car I always invite them to sit inside!!! The smiles warm my heart. My oldest son when young showed interest in an MG TC. The owner invited him in, he smiled from ear to ear!
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

If that Z owner doesn't take the nose cover (bra) off his car at a car show, when does he remove it? What is he saving the nose for?
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wash that baby in nothing flat.

Comment

Yeah, I guess that Z owner really wants to keep his nose clean. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Daan View Post
                        Was the Stude engine common to use in race cars like this, or was it "whatever fits in the engine compartment"? I did think the engine looked like it meant business though.

I have read that the Champion engine was a favorite for some classes as it was very light and small, short, for it's displacement. Midget racers, if my memory serves me correctly.

Comment

Working...
                        X