PDA

View Full Version : Which is the BEST Pomona Swap Meet Date?

JLB
12-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Can you guys in Southern California advise me on which is the best, in your opinion, of the 7 swap meets held at Pomona. My interest is in both Studebaker parts and Street Rod parts. My son and I want to attend one of the meets in 2014.
Thanks
John

52 Ragtop
12-14-2013, 09:17 AM
I haven't been to one in over 20 years, don't count on seeing very much in Studebaker parts! But, the one's I like the best were the LA Roadster Clubs Fathers days show and swap meet! LOTS of eye candy too! <G>

Jim

JLB
12-14-2013, 11:39 AM
My son and I have been to that event...........and yes , a lot of eye candy, and a lot to see in the swap meet. The pre show events at such places as SoCal were great as well.

WinM1895
12-14-2013, 04:36 PM
When I first began attending the Pomona Swap Meet, it was held once a year, then twice a year. Parking and admittance were free, a swap space was 10 bucks.

Today, there are at least 7 meets a year, spectators have to pay for parking and admittance, very few NOS parts for anything show up.

The meet has the usual rusty/pitted parts, and repro and aftermarket parts predominate.

Warren Webb
12-14-2013, 09:10 PM
I usually go for the fathers day weekend event. Not only is the swap meet huge but the vendors that show their goods enable you to see the newest & greatest but give some ideas possibly on what your working on. Although it was some years ago I did manage to buy a NOS Lark front fender for $50 bucks. Really made my day then! It is a weekend affair so I go on Saturday morning in case I don't see everything & have the energy for sunday!

Dick Steinkamp
12-14-2013, 09:55 PM
It's hard to beat Pomona, but two other west coast meets I try not to miss are...

Turlock (http://www.turlockswapmeet.com/) at the end of January every year. You can see it all in a day, but you have to be moving all the time.

Portland (http://www.portlandswapmeet.com/) in early April is bigger than Pomona. 3500 vendors at the Expo Center and another couple of thousand at the race track. Plan on 2 full days.

kurtruk
12-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Agreed. Studebaker parts are not seen a lot at general swap meets. But the occasional gem turns up now and then. I think the internet and eBay has really changed the old parts scene. The January Turlock Swap is the only one I attend. Been to 30plus straight. Never hope to find much Stude-related but just enjoy being there and seeing where the hobby is headed. I sum up the Turlock swap (and it may apply to others) this way: There's a whole lot more to look through, but a lot less to see. People just bring a lot of junk these days.