PDA

View Full Version : Super Hero- Ted Harbit, Muscle Car Review Magazine

Silverplate
12-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Hero- Ted Harbit

I received the January 2014 issue of Muscle Car Review in yesterday’s mail, a magazine I have subscribed to for the past year and one of favorite reads arrived. I was surprised to find an awesome 7 –page full color spread title Super Hero about Ted Harbit and his 63 Lark the Tomato. It also contains lots of factual information about R2 and R3 engines along with at least two dozen great color photos. I hope you are able you find a copy, it’s a keeper issue for Studebaker enthusiasts…Mike

Commander Eddie
12-13-2013, 08:57 AM
I'll look for it on the magazine rack. Thanks for the heads up.

warrlaw1
12-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Cool. Ted is a legend. He's probably still shaking his head at my un-tuned 55. I'll fix that next year!

63larkr1
12-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Dave,
Your 55 was a big hit at the psmcdr, just the way it was.
Richard Poe

Dick Steinkamp
12-13-2013, 10:37 AM
"Super Hero- Ted Harbit"

So true...not just to Studebaker followers, but to anybody involved in drag racing.

Bordeaux Daytona
12-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Got mine today too. Great article, can't wait to share it with others.

R3 challenger
12-13-2013, 08:26 PM
When working on the articles, Tom Shaw asked me if any factory photos existed of an R3 engine on an engine stand. The Studebaker National Museum couldn't find one. There is a very grainy photo of an R3 on the dyno at Paxton...it was published in more than one period magazine, but it was B & W and poor quality.

Enter Nelson Bove. A couple of months ago, Nels took the time to set up an R3 on a stand, complete with blower. He then took many photos of it just for this article. I haven't received my issue of MCR yet, but Tom said he planned to choose one of those photos for publication with the engine article. 'Hope it turned out well.

So a great big THANKS to you, Nels!

George

R3 challenger
12-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Dave,
Your 55 was a big hit at the psmcdr, just the way it was.
Richard Poe

I'll second that, Dave. Your '55 was the hit of the event for us.

George

R3 challenger
12-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Hero- Ted Harbit

I received the January 2014 issue of Muscle Car Review in yesterday’s mail, a magazine I have subscribed to for the past year and one of favorite reads arrived. I was surprised to find an awesome 7 –page full color spread title Super Hero about Ted Harbit and his 63 Lark the Tomato. It also contains lots of factual information about R2 and R3 engines along with at least two dozen great color photos. I hope you are able you find a copy, it’s a keeper issue for Studebaker enthusiasts…Mike

'Just received my copy today, Mike. Tom Shaw did a great job on this article. One of his quotes said "How did a car with this kind of performance go virtually unnoticed for so long?" (This is in large, red letters). There are lots of R2 and R3 engine photos, and there's a nice side-by-side comparison photo of R2 and R3 exhaust manifolds. For that photo, Nels even installed an original Studebaker oil filter on the R3.

George

55s
12-14-2013, 06:18 PM
I'll third that, Dave. Your car may not have been the fastest, (although it was the fastest 1955 EVER!), but it may be the prettiest and I really enjoyed seeing that big smile on your face after your runs.

Dave DID spend considerable time getting his car ready, searching for parts, and did send his car out to get professionally? race-tuned by a well-known race mechanic. (but a non-Stude person). He even sought out a radio delete plate (to reduce weight) and had it painted for the drags. I won't go into details (because I suspect details may be in a future TW), but repairs were done to make all four barrels functional (instead of just two) at the track.

After it was done, and he managed to take it down one of the track's lanes, I heard him say "So that's what a four barrel is supposed to feel like!"

:)

jclary
12-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Well...I am not a big follower of drag racing, know little of the rules, and except for some street light to street light "neanderthal regressive moments"...have not been too much of a participant. However, thanks to your "heads-up" on this article, I managed to pick up the magazine at the grocery store today. Plan to read it soon, then stuff it into the trunk of one of my cars. That way, I'll have even more documented evidence to bore my brand X friends with this coming cruise-in season.

I have enjoyed sharing Ted's exploits (and others) by way of Bob Palma's reports in the past. This color spread will be a good addition to my growing library. It gives some credibility to those "the Studebaker blew me away" stories you hear from time to time.:)

clonelark
12-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Ted was also a super Hero on my Classic car
Ted Starts at 9:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgSkcze1l2M

warrlaw1
12-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Ted has been more than gracious..and Mary, too. The first time I went to watch, I was trying to get Ted's autograph on a Chicken Hawk poster he gave me. He was really busy and I now understand why (lol). I decided to get Mary's autograph in the meantime and that seemed to get Ted's attention and he signed my poster right away :)

fastfritz
12-16-2013, 11:29 AM
SUPER ~~ I saw Shaw shooting the Tomato out in the Mid-Michigan Motorplex's infield and was wondering when it would hit the stands! Great article with Ted and George being featured. I am SURE that Bob held the magazine's feet to the fire to get those facts CORRECT!! Congrats to both the Tomato and PBW and of course their deserving owners. I thought John Kern would have had a greater mention as he was powershifting the Tomato for this year's event. I think this should be their plan for the future as it was hard watching Ted ~sprint~ from Tomato to PBW.

R3 challenger
12-16-2013, 01:56 PM
SUPER ~~ I saw Shaw shooting the Tomato out in the Mid-Michigan Motorplex's infield and was wondering when it would hit the stands! Great article with Ted and George being featured. I am SURE that Bob held the magazine's feet to the fire to get those facts CORRECT!! Congrats to both the Tomato and PBW and of course their deserving owners. I thought John Kern would have had a greater mention as he was powershifting the Tomato for this year's event. I think this should be their plan for the future as it was hard watching Ted ~sprint~ from Tomato to PBW.

You're right, Frank...John Kern gets a lot of credit for a tremendous job of driving, and that in a car he doesn't drive very often. One of Ted's most amazing feats happened in 2011 at the Pure Stock Drags. He barely had time to literally run from the Tomato to the Wrapper after each shootout run. He would jog up to the Wrapper (I already had the engine running), fasten the seat belt, put his helmet on, and immediately pull up to the starting line. He did this for six runs in a row, laying down excellent reaction times every time and winning all six races, including the last one, when the Wrapper turned its all-time best speed of 114.03 mph. Wow...what a driving clinic!

As for getting things corrected, I lost count of all the times Tom Shaw sent his article to both Bob and me for checking...we kept spotting things and Tom was very patient with us to make sure he got it right. Many thanks to Tom,,,,great job.

George

fastfritz
12-16-2013, 06:44 PM
You're right, Frank...John Kern gets a lot of credit for a tremendous job of driving, and that in a car he doesn't drive very often. One of Ted's most amazing feats happened in 2011 at the Pure Stock Drags. He barely had time to literally run from the Tomato to the Wrapper after each shootout run. He would jog up to the Wrapper (I already had the engine running), fasten the seat belt, put his helmet on, and immediately pull up to the starting line. He did this for six runs in a row, laying down excellent reaction times every time and winning all six races, including the last one, when the Wrapper turned its all-time best speed of 114.03 mph. Wow...what a driving clinic!

George

OMG! That is the year I was referring to, George! I wanted so badly to give Ted an Oxygen bottle between rounds! He was huffing and puffing! For a guy who is 106 years old, he can still move those feet pretty good! Either by sprinting between cars, or dancing with the pedals whilst rowing the 4 gear!! LOL!

fastfritz
12-16-2013, 06:47 PM
You're right, Frank...John Kern gets a lot of credit for a tremendous job of driving, and that in a car he doesn't drive very often. I remember when I first spotted John behind the wheel of the Tomato.....after doing a double take, I went up to John and told him..."Gee Ted, this drag racing stuff sure must make us feel younger. Look at you! You look at least 30 years younger than when I saw you yesterday!"

8E45E
12-16-2013, 07:35 PM
If this article is as positive as the Plain Brown Wrapper's was in the May, 1999 issue of MCR, I'm looking forward to reading it!

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?63148-Studebakers-PSMCDR-Where-it-all-began

Craig

studeski
12-22-2013, 07:42 AM
I've been to eight stores, including book stores and can't find this mag. If some one could pick one up for me and mail it, I will certainly reimbursement them. I sent BP a PM but he hasn't responded. He hasn't posted for a month.

Claude

8E45E
12-22-2013, 08:10 AM
I've been to eight stores, including book stores and can't find this mag. If some one could pick one up for me and mail it, I will certainly reimbursement them. I sent BP a PM but he hasn't responded. He hasn't posted for a month.

Keep looking!! I saw it on the newsstand here for the first time on Friday.

Craig

JRoberts
12-22-2013, 08:30 AM
I got my copy at Barnes and Noble a couple of days ago and it was the last one on the shelf. I guess Jamie will have to do without, or read mine. It is a great article. Good to see so much positive stuff about Studebakers and Ted in the automotive press.

Deaf Mute
12-22-2013, 09:23 AM
I got mine last night at Books A Million in Davenport, Iowa. The Tomato is the centerfold!!!!!
I really had to dig for it as it was behind several other titles.... but I found it!

t walgamuth
12-22-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm going to B and N today. I'll have to look for it!;)

studeski
12-22-2013, 10:50 AM
I got my copy at Barnes and Noble a couple of days ago and it was the last one on the shelf. I guess Jamie will have to do without, or read mine. It is a great article. Good to see so much positive stuff about Studebakers and Ted in the automotive press.

Joe, Thanks for the response. B and N is 50 miles away. Some one PM'd me and will send. I can't wait to get it.

Claude

Chicken Hawk
12-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for the polite words but the super hero is the Tomato. Just like with the '51, if you stay with one long enough to sort out the little things, experiment, and be patient they will do wonders for you.

Lark Parker's post reminded me of the saying we had back in the early days of the PSMCDR. I don't know for sure who started it but I think it may have been R 3 Challenger (George Krem) who said we were just venting 40 years of frustration and we owe Dan Jensen and Bob Boden a LOT for putting the PSMCDR on so we could show case what Stude had made and what they would do.

Again, thanks to everyone for your support.

Ted

j.byrd
12-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Ted, you were famous in Hawaii yesterday at our little mostly hot rods breakfast (including a 54 coupe w/ "other" power). First time the guys have started a conversation about a Studebaker that I remember ! Congrats !

I saw you in Nashville several years ago, and enjoyed listening to you and seeing the Chicken Hawk and your truck. I had the big blue ton and a half 58 that was for sale at that event and our Avanti being shown. Keep up the good work !!

8E45E
12-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Again, thanks to everyone for your support.

You're welcome!! I really appreciate the color photo essay on the differences between an R2 and an R3 on pages 36/37.

Craig

R3 challenger
12-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Craig, there's a story behind the story of this article. The R2/R3 engine article begins on page 36 of Muscle Car Review. The Tomato got four pages before that (pp 32-35), a normal amount for a feature article, but the engine article was tacked on the end of that, adding three more pages. Tom Shaw told us that there may have been a misunderstanding between him and the editor of MCR, because Tom thought he was hired to do two articles (both the Tomato and the engines), and the editor thought it would only be about the Tomato. So when the editor received the articles, he apparently "found" room to include the engine article...another three pages. Space in magazines like this is at a premium, and it's usually planned out in advance, with a certain number of pages allowed for each article.

Bottom line: We're really fortunate that MCR Editor Drew Hardin made room for the engine article, making this possibly the best and most complete high performance Stude article in a national magazine (outside of Turning Wheels) since Hot Rod published the R3 Daytona HT test in its January 1964 issue. Maybe it's the very best, since all photos were in color. So a great big thanks to Drew for finding room for the R2/R3 engine comparison...we almost didn't get it!

George

Green53
12-22-2013, 04:51 PM
I found a copy today. Will read it tonight

Denny L

StudeDave57
12-22-2013, 06:41 PM
This is the sort of article I've been waiting for!!!
R engine questions I have had for quite sometime have now been answered.
Thanks to all who made it happen. :!:

I found my copy at a local grocery store last Tuesday.
They may have just stocked the rack, as there must've been 10-12 copies there!!!

I plan to make a trip 'into town' tomorrow or Tuesday.
If there is interest (and if any are left) I can pick a few more up.
Shoot me a PM if you'd like one for cost + shipping.
Be sure to include your snail-mail address.

StudeDave '57 :cool:

Skybolt
12-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Just got mine, can't wait to read it.

8E45E
12-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Bottom line: We're really fortunate that MCR Editor Drew Hardin made room for the engine article, making this possibly the best and most complete high performance Stude article in a national magazine (outside of Turning Wheels) since Hot Rod published the R3 Daytona HT test in its January 1964 issue. Maybe it's the very best, since all photos were in color. So a great big thanks to Drew for finding room for the R2/R3 engine comparison...we almost didn't get it!

Very commendable of Drew Hardin to do that, but I think the 6-pager of the Tomato in the August, 2007 Hemmings Mutilated Machines comes close for coverage.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?6015-E-Gad-MORE-Ted-Harbit!&highlight=hardtop+wagon

Craig

Mark L
12-22-2013, 10:45 PM
"Gee Ted, this drag racing stuff sure must make us feel younger. Look at you! You look at least 30 years younger than when I saw you yesterday!"

Keep in mind what Einstein and others have theorized: Time gets slower when you travel closer to the speed of light.

Thanks to everyone involved for the great exposure for Studebaker.

Mark L

sals54
12-23-2013, 02:37 AM
Just got my copy yesterday. WOW, what a great piece. Good write up, nice pictures and remarkably accurate. Good stuff.
Gotta say, Ted, you've got the other guys beggin for any other car to line up against. That is just hilariously awesome.

Corley
12-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Quite a career going from a snot nosed, outlaw hot rodder to super hero! (Back in the day, everyone thought hot rodders, drag racers, etc. were nothing more than outlaws and hooligans.)

Finally the man gets the respect he deserved all along! Good going Ted!

Bob Bryant
12-23-2013, 11:16 AM
At BAM's today I was ready to give up the search and then I finally found a copy. It is unfortunate that people like to browse magazines and must get a buzz putting them anywhere on the rack when finished. Now for a cup of coffee and some interesting reading about a fellow BSU alum. Ted's successes are remarkable and a boost for Studebakers.

studegary
12-23-2013, 01:13 PM
At BAM's today

I have to ask - What is "BAM's". At first I thought that you were one state over at Bob A's home, but that does not seem to be it. Perhaps, if I stretch, you mean B & N.

Bob Bryant
12-23-2013, 04:39 PM
I have to ask - What is "BAM's". At first I thought that you were one state over at Bob A's home, but that does not seem to be it. Perhaps, if I stretch, you mean B & N.

In Waterford the former Border's store is now "Books-A-Million" and the storefront only says..."BAM" in large letters. Bob A. could park a car in front and get a nice personalized photo!

studegary
12-24-2013, 12:23 PM
In Waterford the former Border's store is now "Books-A-Million" and the storefront only says..."BAM" in large letters. Bob A. could park a car in front and get a nice personalized photo!

Thanks! Asking a question is a way to learn!

StudeDave57
12-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Shoot me a PM if you'd like one for cost + shipping.
Be sure to include your snail-mail address. ;)

There were three to be had- so I bought them all.
Only one of them is spoken for at this point...

StudeDave57
12-27-2013, 11:01 AM
There were three to be had- so I bought them all.
Only one of them is spoken for at this point...

And now there are NONE. :oops:
Maybe the next time I run 'into town' I'll find a few more?
If I do- I'll post about it for those who may still be looking.

studebaker-R2-4-me
12-27-2013, 01:35 PM
My Fiance was nice enough to put the magazine in my stocking for Christmas morning. I got so involved in the article I forgot to open and read my Christmas card!

It is a very good 6-7 page read.

Allen

Warren Webb
12-27-2013, 06:09 PM
I went to my Barnes & Noble at Tyler Mall yesterday & got mine. There was one left in the rack although a couple of December issues were there too so I think, possibly that the Jan. issue may be their last one. (notice spelling of "their" -meaning possessive, not "there" as in a location. So many times I see "break" when referring to the "brake" on a car. What would one do if they did something to cause "their 'brake' to 'break'???)