Zip Van Project- preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip Van Project- preparation

FIRST UPDATE- I've had inquiries about the Zip Van I am rehabbing for use on my rural mail delivery route. I haven't done much since I brought it home; just pushed it into the garage and occasionally hit the switches and moving parts with Deep Creep. The last couple months have been consumed with the racing team off-season work: getting the cars stripped, engines out to the engine shop, build and replace a couple front stubs. We're well ahead of the game, so things on that front have shut down, at least till after the holidays

.So, I've spent a little time in my shop. The engine in the van turns, but the has line has been cut, as well as the battery cables. It also shows no coolant or oil on the dipstick. My plan is to fill with fluids, install cables, clean the points, run a hotwire, fill the float bowl on the carb, and see what she does. If it runs and shows oil pressure, rig up a fuel tank and let it warm up, then go from there.

Of course, the engine is at this point a crap shoot. So, I decided to hold off on that for a bit. For some time I have owned a '64 Commander. It was my first Studebaker, bought 10 years ago from a local mechanic. Short version of history, he rebuilt the engine and put on a new SS exhaust. Then the town was getting on him about havng too many cars, and he was afraid he might have to send them to the crusher, including this car. It was rusty and ugly, but started right up and purred like a kitten. He begged me to buy it, because he had been trying to sell it for several months and nobody wanted it. Being a sucker for old cars, I paid too much and took it home. I drove it for about a month until reverse went out of it. Back then, I thought I'd replace the floors and rockers and fix the cowl, and redo the interior, rebuild the trans. and make it a decent driver.

Well, time marched on, and I got to know Studes better, and it became clear that it would make no sense putting all that work into a car with almost no market value. So, I moved on to other Studes, thinking someday I'd find a more worthy candidate for the fresh engine, with less than 200 miles on it. So since then, it's been sitting out back.Fast-forward to the Zip Van. If its engine is bad, this would be the perfect place for the Commander's engine. But, the winters are long here. So I decided to fetch the Commander up to the garage and get the engine out, and get the remains out back before we get snowed in. That's where I am as of this writing; the engine/trans. is on the floor, and the rest is out of sight.

Here is the old girl:I carefully unbolted everything, except the batwing-to-frame bolts, which I cut with the torch. I saved every nut, bolt, washer, clip, and cotter pin.I pulled the engine and trans. together. I was surprised at how easily everything came apart. The SS exhaust was easily separated by simply removing the clamps, heating the connections red hot, and wiggling and twisting apart.For a few years, the car has been used as storage for various and sundry Studebaker parts. Two year ago when I crushed a bunch of cars, I took some stuff out of them and crammed it in this car. Now I have added move parts from this engine removal.Next up will be doing some cleanup of the shop, then getting on the Zip. The Commander engine is stuck, but I'm not too concerned about it. I've got the plugs out, with a good dose of Deep Creep in the cylinders. I'll leave the trans. and starter on for now and give it an occasional try. If it doesn't come loose soon, I'll go with the ATF/Acetone treatment and keep trying it as I work on the van. If it comes to a point where I determine I will definitely need to use it, I will get serious at that time. But most importantly, it's out of the car and in the garage.More updates as anything of siginificance occurs.
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

OK, the forum has been acting up. I crafted this post with proper paragraphs and spacing, with the pictures properly captioned. When I hit 'post', it all ran into one long sentence, with the pictures randomly stuck in. Would not let me edit. So, I went to the iPhone and tried editing. There I was able to fix it somewhat, but not all. This is the only forum where I'm having this problem.Earlier I tried to quote for a post, but the forum just spun and spun without allowing me to type.So, sorry about the sloopy post. I'll try to fix it again tomorrow.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it, Bob. Your narrative is still very clear.
      I know it's premature but, after managing this Cintas fleet for ten years I have finally been given the go ahead to install auxiliary heaters in the cabs. You may want to find a spot for one of those when you reach that point. We don't expect the earth's magnetic poles to move on New York in the near future.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Well, the Zip has a heater and defroster. And, she'll only be for non-winter use anyway.
        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

and during the summer months a Zip Van is known as a rolling pizza oven!!
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
            and during the summer months a Zip Van is known as a rolling pizza oven!!
            I do not understand this comment. I owned a Zip Van for several years and only used it in the Summer.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob A. - Hopefully, you understand how to change an engine in a Zip Van. You raise the Zip Van off the sub-frame and roll the sub-frame with engine out. Change the engine and then reverse the procedure.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Looking great Bob, its nice to see progress on a project. Looks like that Commander engine will be a good power plant for the Zip Van. Keep moving forward and best of luck.

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Of course, Gary. Not only do I know, I have a manual. And you may recall, I have been in this forum for 10 years, and have seen every Zip Van thread- including the one where Mike G. Was offered a free Lark just for reinstalling a Zip cradle (or as Studebaker called it, a 'bogie').

Never fear- I'm one of those old-fashioned types that can figure things out. Especially on a dead-simple rig like a Zip Van
                  Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Made perfect sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      Of course, Gary. Not only do I know, I have a manual. And you may recall, I have been in this forum for 10 years, and have seen every Zip Van thread- including the one where Mike G. Was offered a free Lark just for reinstalling a Zip cradle (or as Studebaker called it, a 'bogie').

Never fear- I'm one of those old-fashioned types that can figure things out. Especially on a dead-simple rig like a Zip Van
                      I wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers. I have known of people that thought that you changed the Zip Van engine through the windshield opening or through the interior. The change isn't that bad. It is the only Studebaker that I know of that has a unit body and a sub frame in the front. I used an OHV six from a 1964 pickup in my Zip Van. The pickup was low mileage, but being converted to V8 power.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I wasn't 'ruffled' at all, Gary. I don't ever get ruffled by simple words written on a forum, but ESPECIALLY those written by a friend. We haven't talked in so long, I thought maybe you forgot that I have been looking at zip vans for some time, and that there has been tons of discussion about them on the forum.

No one has to worry about me working myself all up about forum posts, even those by our forum wieners. They're just being who they have to be, bless their little hearts.

Of course, as you see, if somebody wants to start something, I will finish it. It's easy and fun. But as the kids' saying goes, "Don' START nuthin', ain' gon' BE nuthin!"
                        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I wasn't 'ruffled' at all, Gary. I don't ever get ruffled by simple words written on a forum, but ESPECIALLY those written by a friend. We haven't talked in so long, I thought maybe you forgot that I have been looking at zip vans for some time, and that there has been tons of discussion about them on the forum.

No one has to worry about me working myself all up about forum posts, even those by our forum wieners. They're just being who they have to be, bless their little hearts.

Of course, as you see, if somebody wants to start something, I will finish it. It's easy and fun. But as the kids' saying goes, "Don' START nuthin', ain' gon' BE nuthin!"
                          Whilst I understand the thoughts Bob, it is actually the moderation team who will "end" things, should we feel we have to maintain good order as the serving and former police on the forum do/did.

Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year to you and yours.
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Of course, as you see, if somebody wants to start something, I will finish it.
                            Please don't finish it... let us do that.

Signed,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod_Squad_1971.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1686872

Your friendly Mod Squad

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                            X