PDA

View Full Version : '57 Scotsman 2 door wagon on E Bay

Dougie
12-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Looks pretty solid..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281225039755

sochocki
12-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Neat Scotsman. Anybody think it's worth 4 grand (plus shipping if not bought locally)?

raoul5788
12-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Not even close, not for me anyways.

northern
12-11-2013, 08:01 PM
It does look quite solid, considering that it probably has spent most of its life outside. It would be very nice once restored - $30,000 and 1500 hours from now.

EssexExport
12-12-2013, 08:44 AM
One would ask why there's no pictures or the dashboard & front seat?

raprice
12-12-2013, 10:44 AM
I would have to agree with EssexExport. I have to wonder what the interior looks like. I can see that there's a lot of rust on the exterior. I have to wonder how sturdy the frame is underneath. $4,000 is too much for me.
Rog

JRoberts
12-12-2013, 11:56 AM
I would love to have a two door station wagon of that era at some point, but the price on this one seems a bit high to me.

southbend
12-12-2013, 05:23 PM
When asked what my Studebakers are worth, I sometimes reply, with my tongue only partially in my cheek, "They're worth whatever someone is willing to pay me for them." True with all collectibles. A Norman Rockwell painting sold at auction last week for $46M. Pre-sale estimate by the auction house was $20M. Ultimately, value is in the eye of the beholder. But as the old adage goes, some buyers have more dollars than sense (or are woefully uneducated. Or both). For me, personally, $4K for this car is a bit steep. But that's just me:)

Bob Andrews
12-12-2013, 07:04 PM
It does look quite solid, considering that it probably has spent most of its life outside.

I can see that there's a lot of rust on the exterior. I have to wonder how sturdy the frame is underneath.

I'm trying to figure out what car you guys are talking about?:confused:

Read the listing in the link provided. The seller says "It came from a dry climate, and was stored inside a barn for the last 30 years. The body is very straight and cancer free. Other than the surface rust, there are a few areas noted and photographed that have rust holes, specifically the driver's floorboard by the gas pedal, and a small area on the inside of the tailgate, where dirt or moisture collected. The rest of the floorboards and body panels are in great shape." And you can see by the pictures that his description is probably accurate, since there is almost no visible rust through. Also, the picture of the frame clearly shows no rust.

If you take the time to actually look at the pictures and read the description, you find a pretty straight candidate. The price seems a little high to me, but if somebody wants this specific model, maybe not.

Roscomacaw
12-12-2013, 08:22 PM
This car is no rustbucket. I was amazed that the quarter panel behind the rear wheel isn't perforated. Studebaker set up that area to rust thru. Unlike sedans, the wagons are boxed in back there with NO drain holes provided! The interior on these was BARE BONES plain vinyl and an austerely equipped dash. You'd have no trouble (nor much cost) in refreshing it.

StudeDave57
12-14-2013, 07:19 PM
One would ask why there's no pictures or the dashboard & front seat?

I have to wonder what the interior looks like. I can see that there's a lot of rust on the exterior.
I have to wonder how sturdy the frame is underneath. $4,000 is too much for me.

I would love to have a two door station wagon of that era at some point, but the price on this one seems a bit high to me.

For me, personally, $4K for this car is a bit steep. But that's just me:)

I must be missing something. :ohmy: :confused: :rolleyes:

eBay is an auction website, no?
eBay has a way for buyers to ask questions, no?

This car is clearly listed as an auction, but it's also got a 'buy it now' price.
All that means is that the seller wants an auction where interested parties can bid to the price they wanna pay. But said auction ends if someone ponnies up the $4,000 'buy it now'.

Do I think it's worth $4K? Not so much.
Rumor has it they ain't makin' em anymore either.

I am very very tempted to bid it up to where I am comfortable.
This car looks to have a WAY better body then my '57 Parkview!!!
It's also not very far away from me... :drool: ;) :whome:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

dmackenzie
02-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Just found this and had to register. I bought this car! My first big resto project. I'm in Austin, had it shipped here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkwI2n_A5Bg - two weeks of work after I bought it. Had to rebuild the carburetor, rebuild all the brakes, new plugs / wires / etc.

SN-60
02-02-2014, 12:40 PM
GREAT CAR!!....Studebaker two door wagons look awesome when put back in shape!

57hawk
02-02-2014, 12:44 PM
I like it. Good Luck with the restoration.... Welcome to the forum....

JRoberts
02-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Good job. Glad to see this put back on the road. Keep us up to date on your progress.

57pack
02-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Just found this and had to register. I bought this car! My first big resto project. I'm in Austin, had it shipped here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkwI2n_A5Bg - two weeks of work after I bought it. Had to rebuild the carburetor, rebuild all the brakes, new plugs / wires / etc.

Congratulations on your "new" Studebaker, you've got a very good candidate for a Scotsman restoration .
I can see your a wagon man, so am I, and welcome too the forum! Please keep us posted on your progress. Also as stated before, we love pictures. Also if you can't located a grille closer to home, I have a nice used one I removed from a 57 President.:!!:

StudeDave57
02-02-2014, 09:55 PM
It looks like you got a good one, and a very rare one...
Good score Dave!!! :!:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

ndynis
02-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Welcome to Stude land. Looks like you got a really solid car to start with. I love the Studebaker wagons (the ones with motors). I live in Flatonia, Texas, just 70 miles South of you. I hope you have joined the Studebaker Drivers Club national at studebakerdriversclub.com. Great source of info., great mag "Turning Wheels" every month, and sponsor of this forum. I think the closest local chapter of SDC to you would be the Central Texas Chapter of SDC. Here is their website: http://clubs.hemmings.com/centraltexassdc/ Dues are $12.00 per year and it is full of great folks with tons of experience with Studebakers. Their next meeting is Saturday, February 8th, at 1pm at the Downtown Café 118 S. Main, Thorndale Tx. I'll be there but will be in my black 61 Hawk since I have the Wagonaire gutted and am installing HushMat in it right now. Hope to see you there.
Nick

southbend
02-04-2014, 07:39 AM
David: I also welcome you to Stude land. Thanks for saving a rare car. According to Richard Langworth's "Illustrated Studebaker Buyers Guide," only 26 Champion 2 door wagons were built in 1957. Is this correct? Does this include the Scotsman trim line? I didn't see any productions figures specifically on '57 Scotsman 2 door wagons. And it looks like you got it for a very reasonable price, too, especially considering its apparent rarity. Congratulations!

BobPalma
02-04-2014, 08:05 AM
David: I also welcome you to Stude land. Thanks for saving a rare car. According to Richard Langworth's "Illustrated Studebaker Buyers Guide," only 26 Champion 2 door wagons were built in 1957. Is this correct? Does this include the Scotsman trim line? I didn't see any productions figures specifically on '57 Scotsman 2 door wagons. And it looks like you got it for a very reasonable price, too, especially considering its apparent rarity. Congratulations!

Ditto to Mark's remarks, David; it looks like you're having a good time. Nothing like a running and driving car to boost your spirits. :!:

MARK: The figure of 26 Champion wagons in 1957 refers to 4-door Champion wagons, which weren't generally available to the public.

In reality, 1,120 1957 Pelham (Champion 2-door wagons) were built, in addition to exactly 3,400 1957 Scotsman wagons. You have to realize that the Pelham wagons had a "head start," since the Scotsman wagon was a mid-year addition. Had the Scotsman been available from the get-go, chances are good the 1,120 figure would have been well below 1,000, and the Scotsman wagon figure higher than 3,400. :) BP

southbend
02-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Ditto to Mark's remarks, David; it looks like you're having a good time. Nothing like a running and driving car to boost your spirits. :!:

MARK: The figure of 26 Champion wagons in 1957 refers to 4-door Champion wagons, which weren't generally available to the public.

In reality, 1,120 1957 Pelham (Champion 2-door wagons) were built, in addition to exactly 3,400 1957 Scotsman wagons. You have to realize that the Pelham wagons had a "head start," since the Scotsman wagon was a mid-year addition. Had the Scotsman been available from the get-go, chances are good the 1,120 figure would have been well below 1,000, and the Scotsman wagon figure higher than 3,400. :) BP

Thanks for the information. It's amazing how quickly and accurately one's questions get answered around here! Even at a production figure of 3400, this is still a comparatively rare Studebaker. I can't imagine that any more than 100-200 or so have survived.

BobPalma
02-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the information. It's amazing how quickly and accurately one's questions get answered around here! Even at a production figure of 3400, this is still a comparatively rare Studebaker. I can't imagine that any more than 100-200 or so have survived.

No doubt a good point, Mark.

It's difficult to imagine a specific Studebaker model that got worked harder, put up wetter, and poorly, if at all, maintained throughout its life, than a Scotsman station wagon. :( BP

showbizkid
02-04-2014, 10:36 AM
DUDE!!! Your car sounds great! And what I didn't hear in the video was just as good as what I did hear - no squeaks, clunks, rattles as it went by. Nice work bringing it back to life - can't wait to follow your journey in bringing it back!

studeclunker
02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Gosh Clark... are Studees supposed to go without squeeks, clunks, and rattles?:ohmy: Hee, hee, hee, heh!:lol:

Nice looking Scotsman. It even stops nicely!:D Best of everything as you dig into the old girl!

dmackenzie
02-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks! I love these, I'm a station wagon fan. I also have a 92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon and a 91 Mercury Colony Park, though I've always wanted something older to work on. I had a '63 Lark in high school that I drove all over Texas, and after seeing a provincial wagon last year I had to get a '57 wagon.

This is a fairly solid car. Only 2 spots of bad rust that I see, both about the size of a dollar. One in the driver side floor plan and the other in the tailgate. None of the brake lights, signals, or horn work, but those should be easy fixes. The vacuum wiper motor is stuck, not sure what to do on that one. For brakes I put in a new master cylinder, new wheel cylinders, hoses, and the thing stops great.
The only problem that I've had has been the carburetor. I had just rebuilt it on the day I took the video, it ran great. I havent been able to fire it up since then. Something it really sticky on the inside of it. Letting it soak in a carb-var doesnt seem to help either. Hopefully I can get it back up to running this weekend.

The goal, first weekend of April is the Texas Lonestar roundup here in Austin. I would love to drive it out there.

cultural infidel
02-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Solid Wagon! Best of luck on meeting your goal of the LR!

StudeRich
02-04-2014, 01:23 PM
The Windshield Wiper Motor you need to install is the very common Electric one, Bosch, Autolite or Prestolite. It was an option most dealers did order on Scotsmans.
I think it does requires different driver arms and of course a Switch, but not much else.

It was used on all Sedans and Wagons '56 to 1960 and all C and K Models '56 to '62 and with wiring and Switch changes to '64, also all Champ Pickups.

showbizkid
02-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Interesting thing about that tailgate rust is that it's not visible on the outside, on the bottom seam, where that usually appears, but on the inside. I'd rather work on the inside than the outside skin, I think!

southbend
02-05-2014, 08:04 AM
If it is a vacuum wiper motor and you want to keep it that way, check out http://www.wiperman.com/