PDA

View Full Version : NOS '63 Lark back-up lenses on eBay

showbizkid
12-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Not mine. I have a standing search for this part number :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131068116828&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

A little too rich for my blood at $80 (my Barney is a driver that lives outside), but for someone doing a full restoration, maybe?

Bamajak
12-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I have two new ones in the box...........But the yellow export ones. Anyone overseas looking?

WinM1895
12-10-2013, 02:21 PM
"Who goofed? I've got to know!" -Howard Cosell on MNF

1353167 = The sellers part number for this "pair" of NOS 1963 backup lenses is for the LEFT (drivers) side only.

1353166 is the part number for the right (passenger) side.

Bamajak
12-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I should have said amber.

I have two new ones in the box...........But the yellow export ones. Anyone overseas looking?

SScopelli
12-10-2013, 06:28 PM

1353167 = The sellers part number for this "pair" of NOS 1963 backup lenses is for the LEFT (drivers) side only.

Good to know the left and right are different.
From the picture, both seem to be Left..

stude dude
12-10-2013, 09:16 PM

Always! Let me know what you want for them.

Chris.

candbstudebakers
12-10-2013, 09:24 PM

true he only uses one part number but states a pair and from the pictures they are a right and a left, they should get around $200.00 my guess.

showbizkid
12-11-2013, 04:07 PM
I had hear rumors of SI repopping these about a year ago; one of the Aussie Stude vendors was actually listing repros on their site, but on inquiry told me that they would be purchasing from SI when done... that was about 18 months back. I'm beginning to despair :(

stude dude
12-11-2013, 10:17 PM
I had hear rumors of SI repopping these about a year ago; one of the Aussie Stude vendors was actually listing repros on their site, but on inquiry told me that they would be purchasing from SI when done... that was about 18 months back. I'm beginning to despair :(

Yes, this was true. But S.I. had problems with the original tooling. Due to poor storage, repairs needed to be made and the cost (I forget the exact amount) was very high, perhaps too high. So the project was postponed until a more affordable repair option could be found. I was mainly interested in having the amber versions made for Australian produced Larks. These have always been hard to find.

Chris.

SN-60
12-11-2013, 10:33 PM
I should have said amber.

A friend of mine here in Mass installed a NOS pair of amber back up lenses on his blue '63 Daytona......They looked great!

showbizkid
12-14-2013, 11:02 AM
I understand Ed's reluctance to sink a bunch of money into repairing a mold that's for a one-year-only part. It will take a long time to begin making profit on the repops, unless they're priced way up - in which case they won't make money at all as we CASOs will just run our cracked, broken originals ;) But I for one would gladly pony up some $$ for a brand-new driver's side lens. Not $95 bucks, like the one above is going for (I know, it's a pair, but let's be honest - the driver's side is the one that's being bid on), but a decent amount.

1962larksedan
12-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Re: amber lenses: is it mandatory that the lenses are amber or would amber colored lightbulbs behind clear lenses be legal?

Too; I've been toying with getting a 1963 Lark type if finances will allow and would love to convert it to amber rear turn signals since it's a very easy wiring change. :)

WinM1895
12-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Amber lenses in the rear, red lenses in the front are illegal in some/all states.

stude dude
12-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Re: amber lenses: is it mandatory that the lenses are amber or would amber colored lightbulbs behind clear lenses be legal?

Too; I've been toying with getting a 1963 Lark type if finances will allow and would love to convert it to amber rear turn signals since it's a very easy wiring change. :)

Amber bulbs with clear lenses are common o late model cars now. And many Studes are also set up like this where amber lenses are not available.

Chris.

SScopelli
12-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Amber lenses in the rear, red lenses in the front are illegal in some/all states.

You mean Amber or Red in the front.

Amber is used for the rear turn signals on Many "Modern" Cars..

StudeRich
12-14-2013, 10:10 PM

Bill, I think you are thinking of Forward RED Side marker Lights and Parking Lights. No RED Lights facing FORWARD anywhere, on any Vehicle per US DOT.
No Amber rear side marker Lights or Tail Lights, but Amber Turn Signals only are allowed.

I just hate it when I see some ignorant person driving around in one of those Newer Imports with the Clear Turn Signal Lenses that are SUPPOSED to have Amber Bulbs, but must think they are "Special" breaking the law with Clear bulbs.

Police these days have way more important things to deal with so do not bother them or the Clowns with the Fancy, expensive Chrome with Round Tail Lights Custom Tail Light Conversions with washed out Red non-conforming Color, cheap, Foreign made, wanna-be Red Lenses like old Toyota Pickups.

Next time I will tell you how I REALLY Feel! :mad: ...:D

candbstudebakers
12-15-2013, 02:21 AM
Why is every body talking about amber lights ? am I missing something here these are back up light and would good would amber do for back up lights??

candbstudebakers
12-15-2013, 02:29 AM
I understand Ed's reluctance to sink a bunch of money into repairing a mold that's for a one-year-only part. It will take a long time to begin making profit on the repops, unless they're priced way up - in which case they won't make money at all as we CASOs will just run our cracked, broken originals ;) But I for one would gladly pony up some $$ for a brand-new driver's side lens. Not $95 bucks, like the one above is going for (I know, it's a pair, but let's be honest - the driver's side is the one that's being bid on), but a decent amount.

Clark, my 63 standard 2 door had a perfect pair of back up lights and there is nothing more out of place on the 63 standard than a pair of those with nothing in the middle they almost look as bad as the head lights on a 58, I removed them and sold them on e-bay 2 years ago and got $200.00 for the pair car now looks more in place with a pair of small 62's..just my observation. and I still say they will reach $200.00 at the end.

Bill Pressler
12-15-2013, 07:54 AM
In the mid-nineties, we went to South Bend for a weekend just to escape the cold and swim in a hotel pool. I think it might have been January. I went down to Newman and Altman and wanted a couple of NOS backup light lenses for my '63 Daytona Skytop. Rich who worked there then said, "Do you want to go upstairs and pick your own?" and I said "Sure!". We went up the creaky old freight elevator to whatever floor it was, broken windows, and on the shelf where their system said they would be, were probably 30 or so '63 Lark backup light lenses in their boxes. I opened a couple boxes and they were perfect, so I bought them. I always appreciated the unofficial visit 'upstairs' then.

Skip Lackie
12-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Why is every body talking about amber lights ? am I missing something here these are back up light and would good would amber do for back up lights??
They were used with amber lenses as directional signals for export to countries (eg, Oz) that require amber (not red) rear signal lamps. Some American cars (eg, 1980s Camaros) all came with amber rear signals to make it easier to export them.

candbstudebakers
12-15-2013, 09:38 AM
learn something new every day so with an amber lens they are no longer a back up light ? I get it thanks, they still look out of place on a standard.

stude dude
12-15-2013, 09:50 AM
learn something new every day so with an amber lens they are no longer a back up light ? I get it thanks, they still look out of place on a standard.

No Bob, they still were used as back up lamps too. The only difference is that everything glowed orange behind you when you backed up!

Chris.

Bamajak
12-15-2013, 12:59 PM
AMBER LENS FOR $200.00

https://plus.google.com/photos/106954469996381855434/albums/5957694099538008321?authkey=CPuGj_Pr4f2XEg

SScopelli
12-16-2013, 11:25 PM
.. and I still say they will reach $200.00 at the end.

Not a bad guess.. Ended at $179.50. Ouch..

No Bob, they still were used as back up lamps too. The only difference is that everything glowed orange behind you when you backed up!

Chris.

So they both lit up when in Rev, and individually blinked when the L/R turn signal was selected?

Interesting..
I'm making a big guess here:

So normally, the red wire from the brake light that would go to the turn signal switch is replaced with the wire from the backup switch.. The red brake light switch wire would then be connected to the white wire (which used to be the backup wire) going to the trunk and connected to both the red brake lights.
The wire that used to go to the L/R tail lens, will now go to the amber "Backup/Turn Signal" lenses..

Sounds like a simple field change.. ;)

stude dude
12-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Not a bad guess.. Ended at $179.50. Ouch..

So they both lit up when in Rev, and individually blinked when the L/R turn signal was selected?

Interesting..
I'm making a big guess here:

So normally, the red wire from the brake light that would go to the turn signal switch is replaced with the wire from the backup switch.. The red brake light switch wire would then be connected to the white wire (which used to be the backup wire) going to the trunk and connected to both the red brake lights.
The wire that used to go to the L/R tail lens, will now go to the amber "Backup/Turn Signal" lenses..

Sounds like a simple field change.. ;)

No, on 1961-63 Lark/Hawk models all of the changes were done at the rear where the harness joined the lamp sockets. And the 1964-66 models had a unique Australia only harness.

Chris.

showbizkid
12-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Final sale price of $179.50 :ohmy:

StudeRich
12-17-2013, 02:32 PM
No, on 1961-63 Lark/Hawk models all of the changes were done at the rear where the harness joined the lamp sockets. And the 1964-66 models had a unique Australia only harness.Chris.

That '61-'63 Lark setup seems really weird Chris.
Wouldn't you have the Parking Lights in front Lit in Reverse gear, if you tied the Turn Sig. wires to the Back-up Light wires at the B/U Light sockets without a Diode?