53 windshield trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 windshield trim

Just curious to hear what the options were for the trim around the windshields in 1953? I have the K model and want to simplify the look of the car. Taking note from Bob Bourke's 55 prototype, the trim seems to be minimal. My car has a wide stainless molding surrounding the windshield which I would rather see off or use a smaller trim from a different model. Any suggestions?

The trim you want would not be from another model but from a lower trim level. Trim for the Regal was wide. Trim for the Deluxe was narrow.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Outside of a simple,bare rubber gasket, the C3 trim (same glass as a K) was as minimal as you could get. C3 trim is just a stainless moulding that follows the rubber WS gasket. It doesn't extend to the leading edges of the vent window frames like K-trim or C5 trim does.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks guys! For those familiar with Bob Bourke's prototype, does it seem like the C3 trim Bob described? I have never seen the prototype in person. To keep the K trim it only makes sense to keep the upper door trim to follow those trim lines. Fine if you want chrome but minimal is the look I'm after. Anyone want to trade out some trim? C3 type. I don't have the door trim, only the window trim.

Comment

Here's the narrow moulding on a low level trim (the only level) Power Hawk Coupe:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Hawk_Red_Wht.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1686793
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a Power Hawk with lower level trim than that.
            That looks like Sky Hawk trim on a Power Hawk????
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
              I have a Power Hawk with lower level trim than that.
              That looks like Sky Hawk trim on a Power Hawk????Good RoadsBrian
              No, actually there is only one. If correct your Car should look like Gay Whitenberg's Car I posted here except for the custom two tone paint design and the Sky Hawk Moulding that was put on a lot of Power Hawks by owners and Dealers to finish the incomplete looking body side Moulding.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cool. Good photo Rich. You can see the regal trim on the car next to the one featured in your photo.

Comment

My 54K with no windshield trim. Started out as a Regal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0230.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1686800

I'm going to make another suggestion eventhough I don't know the look you are going for. When I repaint the 54, I'm going to remove the glass and add about 3/4" to the pinchweld. I'll form that to allow the front and rear glass to set comfortably on it and install the glass like they do on the newer cars with Urethane sealant. I wish I had done that originally.

Bob
                  Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-10-2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pancho View Post
                    Thanks guys! For those familiar with Bob Bourke's prototype, does it seem like the C3 trim Bob described? I have never seen the prototype in person. To keep the K trim it only makes sense to keep the upper door trim to follow those trim lines. Fine if you want chrome but minimal is the look I'm after. Anyone want to trade out some trim? C3 type. I don't have the door trim, only the window trim.
                    I worked on Bob Bourke's Starliner and saw it MANY times, but it has been many years. IIRC, his car had the normal, full Regal trim for a 1954 Starliner in the windshield and door areas. I remember providing a full left door assembly from a 1953 (Regal) Starliner to be used for parts for his car.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X