No announcement yet.

How can I restore my serial number tag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: How can I restore my serial number tag?

I have a 59 Silver Hawk I am restoring and the serial plate that is spot welded on the door post has been painted over then previous owner used a scraper to reveal the serial number and removed the Studebaker Packard portion of the tag. I have seen others and they were apparently silk screened then the number was stamped underneath. My numbers are the only thing that is still legible but I would like to replace the black silk screened part. Is there a way to get this part made up in a black vinyl transfer then peel and stick? I will include a photo of a different tag to help explain.
    Thanks,
    KevinClick image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker logo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1741970

The black tags are already reproduced and may still be available. Someone will tell you who has them as I don't recall.
    Last edited by studefan; 12-09-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
      The black tags are already reproduced and available. Someone will tell you who has them as I don't recall.
      They WERE available through SI years ago, (and they were available in all the various year types), but I haven't seen them offered for sale in quite a while.

Comment

Kevin, check out the last page of the below. Not sure if they are still available but contact this place to see.

Comment

It used to be illegal to mess with or replace these plates. Have the various DMV's become more lax in recent years?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            It used to be illegal to mess with or replace these plates. Have the various DMV's become more lax in recent years?
            He's not replacing the plate...just the decal.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I need that one as well - blasted media blasting employee didn't cover my tag Couple numbers are faintly visabe. Errrrr

If that vendor pans out let us know.
              Side question. Is a web address with AU, Australia?
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Yes, Australia is AU.
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Hi guys, yes I still have those decals in stock (3 different styles), along with some new 'blank' serial number plates if the original one has been damaged or gone missing.

Chris.
                  STUDEBAKER QUEENSLAND

Comment

Chris, what is the postage cost of mailing these decals to the States?

Comment

I will take a '64 US decal. Yes how much is postage to the US for these! Mine was painted over as well.
                      Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      58 C Cab
                      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Its just a regular stamped envelope so I will pay the postage. Send me a PM with your details and I will get them on the way.

Chris.

Comment

Chris , I'll take one for a '63 Avanti. Are these water transfer decals or stick on "decals"?
                          PM being sent.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info I was going to start looking for someone to make me a vinyl transfer but the letters are pretty small and I imagined it would be difficult and expensive.
                            Kevin

Comment

Chris-pm sent. Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X