50 years ago today - The Closing and how it went down - Lots of photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago today - The Closing and how it went down - Lots of photos

It was 50 years ago today that Studebaker announced the closing of the South Bend operation. The story has been told and retold and few are still around today who were still actively employed when the end came suddenly. The workers, media and the general public were notified in various ways as the attachments will attest:
    Images 1-2-3-4: The press services were on hand to photograph hourly workers leaving the plant and these appeared with captions in newspapers and magazines nationwide.
    Images 5-6-7: The official press release by Joseph DeFranco (public relations head) sent to all media outlets.
    Image 8: Mimeographed page handed out to hourly employees on 12-10.
    Image 9: Letter sent to employees by Byers Burlingame.
    Image 10: Telegram sent to all dealers, Division Presidents and most salaried executives. To follow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	workers 1 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1741958Click image for larger version

Name:	workers 2 copy.jpg
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1741959Click image for larger version

Name:	workers 4 copy.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1741960Click image for larger version

Name:	burlingame gordon copy.jpg
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1741961Click image for larger version

Name:	defranco letter1 copy.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1741962Click image for larger version

Name:	defranco letter2 copy.jpg
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1741963Click image for larger version

Name:	defranco letter3 copy.jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1741964Click image for larger version

Name:	mimeo sheet 12-10 copy.jpg
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1741965Click image for larger version

Name:	burlingame letter forum.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1741966
    Attached Files
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

This is a cable that was sent to Canada Cycle and Motor Co. the Studebaker assembler in Australia. The "Chapman" mentioned in the first line was the general Mgr of the facility who had negotiated the assembly deal back in 1959. From the Jim Quigley collection. Jim worked at the facility and, in fact, helped assemble the last Studebaker (a GM powered V8 sedan) in late 1966.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	australia notice copy.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1686786
    Richard Quinn

Comment

Thanks for sharing. cheers jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

The letter is a good one...So the Studebaker name has been around since 1851, according to the letter. what was produced back then- the wagons I hear about?

Comment

Makes me wonder why?

When did the Canadian plant start to build Studebakers? And what were they doing right--- that could not have been transferred to the U.S. plant before the U.S. plant got in trouble many years ago?

Comment

It is the rich history of Studebaker that captured and has kept my interest for the decades I have been a member. More than any car or artifact of the corporation...it is the legacy of the enterprise that reflects our progression as a nation, a people, and is woven into the very fabric of our collective character.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

We can also add Leonard Shepherd's (and a couple of others') contributions here as well: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...for-Studebaker

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 12-09-2013, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Hi

Thanks Richard for posting the documents, they're very illuminating of the hardest day South Bend experienced. On Black Monday Plus Fifty, it's good to remember and mark this anniversary.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                  When did the Canadian plant start to build Studebakers? And what were they doing right--- that could not have been transferred to the U.S. plant before the U.S. plant got in trouble many years ago?
                  That cannot be answered adequately here -- whole books have been written about why Studebaker lost money for years and quit the automobile business. Stude had been building vehicles in Canada since at least the 1930s (haven't time to look it up right now). The SB plant was old, inefficient, and needed to build ~100K vehicles a year to break even. The Hamilton plant was much smaller, modern, and the break-even point was supposed to be around 30K vehicles a year.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                    The Hamilton plant began building Studebakers in 1948. Our profitability factor was directly related to a much more modern facility.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                      This is a cable that was sent to Canada Cycle and Motor Co. the Studebaker assembler in Australia. The "Chapman" mentioned in the first line was the general Mgr of the facility who had negotiated the assembly deal back in 1959. From the Jim Quigley collection. Jim worked at the facility and, in fact, helped assemble the last Studebaker (a GM powered V8 sedan) in late 1966.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]30329[/ATTACH]
                      Before anyone asks, the Chapman at CCM in Australia was not related to me. At least as far as I know.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Wonderful piece Richard. It brings back so many memories. Thank you for this effort.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Thanks Dick! I was only 11 years old when this happened (only a few miles from my home), but I was way too young to realize the importance of the event. My dad never owned a Studebaker, but most of my relatives did at one time or another. My paternal grandfather retired from the foundry in 1955 (but never owned ANY car), and I had numerous uncles, cousins, etc. work at "Stoodies." My wife's family was also well represented as employees of the Corporation.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                            The Hamilton plant began building Studebakers in 1948. Our profitability factor was directly related to a much more modern facility.

Stu Chapman
                            Actually Studebaker assembled cars at their Walkerville, Ontario plant from 1910 thru 1936. During that period 65,503 vehicles were assembled, mostly for export. Details on the Canadian operation can be found in the March 1986 issue of TW.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

As Richard mentioned ....here's a Cdn rad emblem that's sitting on a car out in the SW US desert , think its a 1926 model.
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X