PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming article in Swedish car magazine about our Studebaker

41 Frank
12-08-2013, 06:27 PM
A week ago at a cruise-in at Fountain Hills,AZ. a gentleman approached me and asked if he could do an article about our '41 Champion street rod for a car magazine he writes for. Noticing his accent I correctly surmised he was not from around here. Turns out he is a Swedish subject and winters in AZ. He has been a fixture around car events here for more than a decade. We set up a date to do the photo shoot and interview and completed that yesterday at the Grand Canyon Chapter Christmas party. The article will appear in a Swedish car magazine (name unknown to me) in the coming months. Too bad I don't read Swedish. He will sent me some copies he indicated. I asked out of curiosity why he picked our car out of 110 mostly high dollar vehicles there, his answer was " I have never seen a 1941 Studebaker, especially one with an R-2 Studebaker engine". He did stumble across a hood for one once in a forest in Sweden, he indicated, so there must have been at least one exported to Scandinavia! So if there are any of the 28 Swedish SDC'rs in the Roster reading this, keep an eye out for the write up. The writer did not ask for many technical details, so who knows how it will turn out. He did say he'd call me for additional details if needed. I showed him the names from Sweden in the Roster and he said he knew a couple of the SDC'rs personally. As we parted company I handed him the SDC marketing pamphlet to keep.

Dick Steinkamp
12-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Congrats, Frank! :!:

The Kart Hauler also made it into a Scandinavian magazine thanks to Pekka...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99691157@N00/sets/72157624066287521/

hausdok
12-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Love that kart hauler, Dick. Very cool little tr...er....ca.....er.....tr....er....

When folks see my Baja and say to me, "Oh, what a cute little truck you have," I sort of scowl and then growl, "Hey, smile when you call my car a truck," and then wink. Same thing when I get the "Oh what a cute car you have," and I growl, "You'd better smile when you call my truck a car."

junior
12-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Very cool...get Nox to keep an eye open for you, he hails from Sweden and spends some time in Holland too. cheers, junior.

Studedude
12-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Cool beans!

Pekka also was kind enough to feature my car in an article... this was from the 2002 South Bend meet:

http://members.provalue.net/studes/a48.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
12-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks, Mike...but Frank's 41 is no slouch, at a car show OR on the drag strip.

I think it was at the Omaha meet that Frank's 41 took my 365 HP 327 4 speed 54 Starliner to the cleaners at the strip! :ohmy:

41 Frank
12-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Nice layout out Dick! While I can distinguish Swedish from Finnish I don't read Finnish. I really enjoyed being able to see it in the flesh that Friday evening at the Pomona show though.

Congrats, Frank! :!:

The Kart Hauler also made it into a Scandinavian magazine thanks to Pekka...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99691157@N00/sets/72157624066287521/

41 Frank
12-08-2013, 07:01 PM
The writer is sending me a copy. Now where did I put that Swedish dictionary! I'll have to find a way to use the Google translation feature on it to get the drift of what he wrote. Or have Nox translate some of it.

Very cool...get Nox to keep an eye open for you, he hails from Sweden and spends some time in Holland too. cheers, junior.

41 Frank
12-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Hey Dave, I can actually read some of that!

Cool beans!

Pekka also was kind enough to feature my car in an article... this was from the 2002 South Bend meet:

http://members.provalue.net/studes/a48.jpg

41 Frank
12-08-2013, 07:07 PM
To be fair and for those that were not there. Dick cleaned my clock the first match up and I returned the favor on the second run. We were matched close enough that whomever cut the best light won.

Thanks, Mike...but Frank's 41 is no slouch, at a car show OR on the drag strip.

I think it was at the Omaha meet that Frank's 41 took my 365 HP 327 4 speed 54 Starliner to the cleaners at the strip! :ohmy:

2R5
12-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Good to hear Frank .....enjoy that warmer climate, wish I was there .

41 Frank
12-08-2013, 07:22 PM
We have a spare bedroom, buy the plane ticket Bob! GGG

Good to hear Frank .....enjoy that warmer climate, wish I was there .

paintim613
12-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Very cool, Frank. Your '41 deserves international recognition. Did you tell the writer why you own a '41?

41 Frank
12-08-2013, 07:25 PM
No I forgot Tim, hope to see you guys at "Midnight at the Oasis" if we can get a room.

Very cool, Frank. Your '41 deserves international recognition. Did you tell the writer why you own a '41?

JRoberts
12-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Congrats Frank. Maybe you can take one of those foreign language courses while you are lounging around in the warm weather this winter.;)

jwikstro
12-09-2013, 02:13 PM
If the Swede was Christofer Lee Willhans the Magazine would be Bilsport Classic. I realy looking forward to the article.

JBOYLE
12-09-2013, 02:42 PM
As we know from this forum and the club roster, Swedes love American cars.

In the Stutz Club I have a Swedish friend. He has two of the 197Os "continuation" or neo-classic Stutzes (GM powertrains with Italian bodies) four-doors, one of which used to belong to Kenny Rogers.
If you were to make me guess what American cars I'd least expect to see in Sweden, those would be it.

I really appreciate the efforts and expense (in fuel and parts) they go to preserve American cars.

41 Frank
12-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Yes it was indeed "the towering giant" Christofer Lee Wilhans, Jan. He had trouble getting into the front seat of our car to shoot pics of the dash.

If the Swede was Christofer Lee Willhans the Magazine would be Bilsport Classic. I realy looking forward to the article.

Nox
12-09-2013, 05:52 PM
I gotta admit that it kinda warms me up a wee bit to read my name here!
& Janne popped up too, what a small Studebaker-world, he's our captain in the Swedish Studebaker club! But you probably already knew that...
:)
There's a few Swedish car-mag journalists flying over to enjoy doing reportages but I think there's only two really tall guys.
(& by the way: Scandinavia is Scandinavian-spoken countries...)
This was fun!
:) :) :)

Dick Steinkamp
12-09-2013, 06:38 PM
(& by the way: Scandinavia is Scandinavian-spoken countries...)

My undergraduate degree is in Geography and I should know better. :o

My contrived excuse is that I was thinking of the "possible extended usage" ;)

"The three monarchies (Denmark, Norway and Sweden) that compose Scandinavia according to the strictest definition

The possible extended usage: Iceland and the Faroe Islands on account of their populations being largely descended from Scandinavians, the Åland Islands for its ethnic Swedish population, Finland on account of its historical association with Sweden and its Swedish minority."

I apologize.

Nox
12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
We up north in Europe might not know a lot & we're probably totally wrong even about this/ourselves, but we actually think(!) that even Iceland is a Scandinavian land since it's more Scandinavian than Svenska, Norska & Danska 'cause of the fact that it's more original & the rest of us have English, French, German & so on mixed into our languishes.
& then we're sure about(!) that Sverige, Norge, Danmark & Finland (& possibly even Iceland, I'm not sure) is referred to as Norden ("the North") as it's the northern part of Europa ("Europe").
& every time I've been to Åland I've always heard them they speaking Swedish with Finnish axent.
But this is all just what I've heard all my life & I might have a selective hearing sometimes since I've found that quite a handy thing to have... :)
But then again; it's Studebaker-countries up here!

& no really need for apologize, exept maby from me!

Dick Steinkamp
12-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Pekka just reminded me that he put the Kart Hauler in the Swedish magazine "Wheels", in addition to "V8", so I guess it actually was in a Scandinavian mag!

Half an apology retracted. ;)

Studedude1961
12-13-2013, 01:23 AM
You could do surgery atop Frank's cars...always immaculate, sterile clean and well represented!

Rooneytoons
12-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Way to go Frank :!!:

41 Frank
01-29-2014, 05:35 PM
To all our Scandinavian members!
Pekka Polvinen, in Finland, just sent me a message that the Swedish car magazine, Bilsport Classic, with our '41 featured, is now on the newsstands in Scandinavia. The author has some copies on the way to us to enjoy as well.

JRoberts
01-29-2014, 07:03 PM
My wife works with a lady who has family in Sweden. She is going to ask her to get a copy of the magazine for me. What month is the correct issue of Blilsport Classic should she be asking for?

41 Frank
01-29-2014, 08:00 PM
I don't know Joe but Pekka said he saw it on the newsstand today, it is one of the magazines he does not subscribe to, so he is going back to get a copy. It has to be the latest one out and might have mention of the '41 Studebaker Champion on the cover. Other than that I can let you know which issue it is when mine gets here any day now.

My wife works with a lady who has family in Sweden. She is going to ask her to get a copy of the magazine for me. What month is the correct issue of Blilsport Classic should she be asking for?

52-fan
01-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Good to hear about your car feature Frank. That 41 is one of my all time favorites.

57hawk
01-29-2014, 10:03 PM
congrats Frank.... glad to hear this.

Chicken Hawk
01-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Congratulations Frank! Neat car. Thanks for letting me drive it a few years back. Very impressive.

Ted

junior
01-30-2014, 08:49 AM
hey, that's awesome...see if you can get a link so we can all see the photos. cheers, junior

Nox
01-30-2014, 08:55 AM
I just this morning put out a comment 'bout it on facebook, under "Studebakers of Scandinavia".
Nox.

Dick Steinkamp
01-30-2014, 10:20 AM
To all our Scandinavian members!
Pekka Polvinen, in Finland, just sent me a message that the Swedish car magazine, Bilsport Classic, with our '41 featured, is now on the newsstands in Scandinavia. The author has some copies on the way to us to enjoy as well.

:!:

JRoberts
01-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Well, my wife spoke with her friend at work who immediately called her mother in Sweden. She said her mother was excited about finding this magazine and is taking it on as a special project. My wife's friend is familiar with Bilsport Classic and said it is a very popular magazine that is widely available in Sweden. Now I need to get her to translate the article for me.......

JRoberts
02-11-2014, 12:35 PM
I got my copy of Bilsport Classic with Frank's '41 in it today!:!!: My wife's coworker received it from her mom in Sweden yesterday. Great pictures. Now for translating what it says (I can figure out a few things, but not much.)