PDA

View Full Version : December 7 1941

ST2DE5
12-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I was 16 months old so I missed the draft. Lost my dad in 1943.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/51stude/5.jpg (http://s220.photobucket.com/user/51stude/media/5.jpg.html)

Chris Pile
12-07-2013, 10:30 AM
I salute all who paid the ultimate price on that sad, sad, day - and I thank the folks who then tightened their belts, and devoted themselves to righting a terrible wrong.

Deaf Mute
12-07-2013, 10:44 AM
If one really wants to show their support to our WWII veterans, look into supporting a local Honor Flight in your home area. http://www.honorflight.org/ (http://www.honorflight.org/)will get you to the national organization and you can get the local locations from there. Out of the Quad Cities (Iowa-Illinois) we have sent 26 flights so far. I am in charge of our Local VFW Post's effort to raise $50,000 to fully fund a flight next Summer. We should have the funds raised by March of next year. Jim Turner (Turner Brakes) works with the Indy Chapter and they have sent several flights as well. While at it, sign up to be a guardian (dollar amounts vary). I was a guardian on the Oct 31, 2013 flight and it was really in inspiring trip. I am a Vietnam vet; so it will be a while before we can get a free trip to Washington; in the mean time I am supporting our WWII and Korean Vets so they can go to see the monuments that were built to honor them and their service. IF YOU CAN READ THIS... THANK A TEACHER; IF YOU CAN READ IT IN ENGLISH... THANK A VETERAN!

Bob Bryant
12-07-2013, 10:50 AM
My dad passed in 1943, but it was from a disability incurred in WWI. Some of you who are familiar with Niles just north of South Bend may remember Franky's Restaurant. It was doing very well in the 60's and 70's. Frank Frucci was National President of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Assoc. for many years. I remember lying on the living room floor listening to President Roosevelt giving his speech declaring war. That Sears Silvertone console radio worked very well.

Bill Pressler
12-07-2013, 11:26 AM
My dad passed in 1943, but it was from a disability incurred in WWI. Some of you who are familiar with Niles just north of South Bend may remember Franky's Restaurant. It was doing very well in the 60's and 70's. Frank Frucci was National President of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Assoc. for many years. I remember lying on the living room floor listening to President Roosevelt giving his speech declaring war. That Sears Silvertone console radio worked very well.

Thanks for the posts. Today's Akron (OH) Beacon-Journal had a front-page article about a lady whose late father was there and she had a bunch of memorabilia from the attack...newspapers, etc. I think it is important to remember. I know the gist of a lot of (mostly younger) folks is, "Ah, get over it", about historic tragedies like this, but we entered WWII the very next day and lost 400K American servicemen in four years. Hard to get over that. And it's not even a hundred years ago. That makes it worse to me personally, than when I read about terrible things that happened 200, 300, or 500 years ago. In all that time, didn't civilization evolve? I'm afraid I know the answer. ;)

52 Ragtop
12-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Just got home from attending the Noblesville Navy Club Ship #29, Peal Harbor presentation at City Hall. They had Middle school students make posters of what Pearl Harbor meant to their families. They also went through the folding of an American Flag, AND the meaning of each and every fold! Excellent program!

As the President of the Indy Honor Flight hub, i have been honored to be able to meet and speak with Americas Greatest Generation. They are so inspiring, and sadly, we are losing between 700-900 per day. As Duane stated, get involved and donate, volunteer, or better yet both! Look up and see when the next flight is getting back, go to the airport and welcome them home, Then you will be hooked!

I have the utmost respect for each and every Veteran that has served our great country!

Go out get involved, go here to check your for local hub: http://www.honorflight.org/programs/

Jim

WinM1895
12-07-2013, 11:52 AM
I know the gist of a lot of (mostly younger) folks is, "Ah, get over it", about historic tragedies like this, but we entered WWII the very next day :confused: and lost 400K American servicemen in four years.
FDR formally declared war on the Japanese Empire 8 December 1941 ("Yesterday, December 7th 1941, a date which will live in infamy..."), but the Germans and Italians did not declare war on the US until 10 December 1941.

hawk58man
12-07-2013, 12:06 PM
I appreciate "All who have served and there families", and what they have sacrificed! Please remember Dec.7,1941 at Pearl Harbor. Thank you for reminding us . To all Vietnam Veteran's "Thank you for Serving!" USAF 6/70-3/91 ..

57pack
12-07-2013, 03:19 PM
My uncle Ed was in the US Navy before Dec 7.
He served in the Pacific theater with fequent calls of
Port in Japan and Hawaii. He would purchase
Japanese pottery items and send them home to my
Grandmother.
Upon learning of the attack on Pearl, my Grandmom
Smashed every piece!

Bob Andrews
12-07-2013, 03:22 PM
I will never, ever forget. And, I will never forget what country was responsible. I think people purposely try to forget or brushoff the details of the reality of that day because it is too horrific to imagine. But, good people everywhere should force themselves to remember.

God bless our veterans, and God bless America.

RadioRoy
12-07-2013, 04:09 PM
My uncle Ed was in the US Navy before Dec 7.
He served in the Pacific theater with fequent calls of
Port in Japan and Hawaii. He would purchase
Japanese pottery items and send them home to my
Grandmother.
Upon learning of the attack on Pearl, my Grandmom
Smashed every piece!

Part of the home defense system, when there was a threat/danger of invasion before the U.S. used THE bomb, were little potteries, brightly decorated, that the children were to hand to the soldiers as gifts. The pots contained hand grenades and other types of explosives that would go off when the pots were opened. The children were expected to sacrifice themselves in the explosion in order to kill the enemy. It's amazing how a fanatical military can whip the masses into a fury.

WinM1895
12-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I appreciate "All who have served and there families", and what they have sacrificed! Please remember Dec.7,1941 at Pearl Harbor.
Same day, the Japanese attacked Wake Island and Clark Army Air Corps base on Luzon.

Even though Gen. MacArthur had an '8 hour window' to disperse his air force, by the time the attack had ended, all 35 of his new B-17's were destroyed.

Japanese school books make mention of the Pearl Harbor attack, calling it a great victory, but not much else is mentioned inre to their involvement in WWII.

WinM1895
12-07-2013, 06:06 PM
December 7, 2013 4:45-8:00 PM PST: Tora Tora Tora on Sundance Channel.

IMO, this is...by far...the best film on the Pearl Harbor Attack.

Bill Pressler
12-07-2013, 07:15 PM
December 7, 2013 4:45-8:00 PM PST: Tora Tora Tora on Sundance Channel.

IMO, this is...by far...the best film on the Pearl Harbor Attack.

I saw that film last year for the first time. I was amazed at the reality look and feel of the scenes for a movie made that far back.

jimmijim8
12-08-2013, 09:24 AM
People need to be reminded/or educated about things that happened in this country. Knowing of our country's history is something that the up and coming leaders of our country will/can never know enough about. Too sad. Ask a majority of high school to college age to young adults what significance to or country does December 7th, 1941. You're gonna get a whole lotta duhs. I've been there done that. Go on forget history or worse never even learn of it and in no time you may be just a forgotten piece of nostalgia. The young folks of our once greater than all nations, nation certainally have been bombarded with 55-6-7 Chevyism to the max. Why not a bit of don't forget about the woes of your ancestors on certain dates of importance on facebooks and twitters and let us not forget text message. cheers jimmijim
I will never, ever forget. And, I will never forget what country was responsible. I think people purposely try to forget or brushoff the details of the reality of that day because it is too horrific to imagine. But, good people everywhere should force themselves to remember.

God bless our veterans, and God bless America.

Skip Lackie
12-08-2013, 09:58 AM
I saw that film last year for the first time. I was amazed at the reality look and feel of the scenes for a movie made that far back.
I may have posted some of this info before, so if it seems familiar, just skip the rest.

I was working on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor during most of the period in 1969 during which Tora Tora Tora was being filmed. The movie company did try very hard to make it appear to be authentic. The Navy did cooperate to the degree that it was legal to do so.
(1) They bought and flew several PBYs from California to Honolulu so they could show them on the seaplane ramps on Ford Island. They blew the worst one up on the ramp.
(2) They bought a surplus WWII destroyer from the Navy, towed it to Hawaii, moored it on the back side of Ford Island, blew it up, sank it, and then had to salvage and refloat it to get it out of Navy property.
(3) They built a full-size replica of the bow end of the battleship Arizona on the back side of Ford Island, which they blew up, rolled over, then had to salvage.
(4) They modified a number of airworthy ex-WWII fighter aircraft to look like Japanese Zeros so they could film them strafing Pearl Harbor. There were no operational real Zeros available at the time.
(5) They hired hundreds of real sailors so they could film them on weekends running around and shooting at the sky.
(6) They showed a bomb supposedly hitting a seaplane hanger on Ford Island. Someone miscalculated on the amount of explosive used, as they ended up blowing all of the (thousand or so) panes of glass out of the sliding doors on Hanger 6, all of which had to be replaced.
(7) A scene shows several aviators driving down to the airfield to get their fighter aircraft airborne. Not only are the colors and formats of the 1941 Hawaii plates perfect, but they even have the correct letter prefix for the county/island on which they were supposedly registered.
(8) One anecdote: I once attended a briefing in the darkened admiral's office during the filming. At the end of the brief, someone opened the drapes, and what did we all see but a Zero coming straight at our building with machine guns blazing (blanks of course). Even though filming had been going on for months, everyone in the room hit the deck.

Bob Andrews
12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
People need to be reminded/or educated about things that happened in this country. Knowing of our country's history is something that the up and coming leaders of our country will/can never know enough about. Too sad. Ask a majority of high school to college age to young adults what significance to or country does December 7th, 1941. You're gonna get a whole lotta duhs. I've been there done that. Go on forget history or worse never even learn of it and in no time you may be just a forgotten piece of nostalgia. The young folks of our once greater than all nations, nation certainally have been bombarded with 55-6-7 Chevyism to the max. Why not a bit of don't forget about the woes of your ancestors on certain dates of importance on facebooks and twitters and let us not forget text message.

When the Affleck movie, Pearl Harbor, I took Linda to see it. When we left she was dead silent. After a bit she asked, "Was it really like that?" I told her yes. She was shocked that she had never been taught anything like that in school, just basically a cursory mention.

It just keeps getting worse as time goes on. Today kids are fed not facts but revisionism, not patriotism but indoctrination. That's how we get the sickness we see in leadership today.

As it stands today, our only hope is to carefully and accurately remember, enthusiastically teach, and boldly defend the right to do so.

WinM1895
12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
The actors in the film Tora Tora Tora were cast based on their resemblance to the characters they portrayed.

USAAC Lt's Taylor and Welch and their P-40 Warhawks were stationed at remote Haleiwa Field. Of the 29 Japanese aircraft shot down that day, Taylor and Welch accounted for 7 of them.

There's a full scale mockup of a P-40 Warhawk used in the film Tora Tora Tora at the entrance to Wheeler AFB.

WWII AT-6 Texan trainers were modified to resemble Japanese Zeros.

The Pacific Aviation Museum is located in two Ford Island hangers that retain their original bullet holes.

One of the exhibits has the remains of the Japanese Zero that perpetrated 'The Battle of Niihau."

57pack
12-08-2013, 12:23 PM
My kids weren't taught much at all concerning
any war. WW1 was only mentioned because of President
Wilson and WW2 when President Roosevelt came up when taught
their Presidents.
Both of their Grandfathers served in WW2 and my wife and I
made sure the kids knew where they served
and what branch of the service they served with.

Pancho
12-08-2013, 03:31 PM
I was born in 1964. I will always have respect and admiration for those who served our nation. Past and present.

Kurt
12-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Our small town lost someone that day. As a small kid going to Yates City grade school, I remember seeing a wall plaque of WW 2 vets with the name Merril K. Sandall " Keith" on it. We were never told what the significance of that was. Turns out he died on the Arizona on Dec. 7 1941.......

i wasn't born until 1966. Still, when we studied our History lessons I think that would have been worth mentioning.

rockne10
12-08-2013, 07:49 PM
With all appreciation and reverence for the service and sacrifice on this 72nd anniversary; on this date 2013 the Keystone Region Chapter of SDC has chosen to offer true support to those still living and struggling wounded veterans. We may pray for the lost, but must remain wide awake to the needs of those living, wounded and suffering in need of our support and appreciation.
The support that has been shown by all members of the SDC has enabled us to be in a position to help where help is needed. Profits from our raffle car have benefited the National Museum, Studebaker National Foundation and many other Studebaker related endeavors.

Yesterday, December 7, 2013 we presented the PA Wounded Warriors project with a contribution from the Studebaker Drivers Club.
The proposal was made to contribute to the Wounded Warriors some time ago. Through examination of the IRS forms 990 of these organizations we determined that 30% of our donation would go to administration and solicitation on behalf of the national organization but, 100% of contributions to the state organization goes to the service of our wounded veterans. A little investigation can make your contributions count. The fact that no contributions are utilized to solicit contributions means you will need to search out these organizations.

We hold in reverence those who have been lost. We must proactively assist those who have served and continue to suffer the consequences. God Bless Our Veterans.

Mikado282
12-08-2013, 08:27 PM
To all those who served or had relatives who either served or were lost during WW2 they have my gratitude and respect. I am lucky to have my father come home from the war, as he joined the USMC today 72 years ago. He was in the first wave in the Solomon Island's campaign and spent over two years overseas. When I was growing up in the early 50's I remember fondly the bullet nosed 1950 Studebaker Champion w/OD we had untill it was replaced with a new 1959 Chevrolet SW. The little Studebaker didn't go far as it was sold to our next door neighbors who had it until around the time I started HS in 1964. I often wondered what eventually happened to it as it was still in really excellent condition at the time.

WinM1895
12-08-2013, 08:43 PM
11,000 members of the 1st Marine Division invaded Guadalcanal 7 August, 1942.

hausdok
12-08-2013, 09:50 PM
This video was sent to me this evening by my old platoon sergeant. It is only sort of about December 7th but I thought some of you might appreciate it.

At the risk of you all calling me a pansy, I have to admit that it choked me up pretty good when I watched it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RU1oB8sGyYM