Studebakers Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers Needed

Anyone wishing to have their vehicles displayed in the Studebaker Body Plant for the 50th anniversary of their closing would be appreciated. The Michiana Drivers Club is working with the Museum and many others to recognize Studebaker and it's workers. This is shaping up to be quite an extravaganza and schedule of events will follow soon. You will be welcome to store your car for as long as necessary in the case of inclement weather and will be in a clean and secure area. So bring your vehicles or other Studebaker products back home and have them included in the festivities on the sixth floor and place of their birth. Please call Tim Janowiak for more information. 574-271-7568

Man I wish I could make it, headed to Sherveport to be with the grandkids for the hoildays
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

Comment

What is the date of this event? If you are doing it this year, as it is 50 years since December 1963, it is a little short of a lead up time. If you had of let us know in say june it would have been a goal to work towards but giving us a week or two is not cool.

So, looking at other posts it is on Dec 20th, still not enough time.

Comment

Where is the Studebaker Body Plant located? I was under the impression that the entire complex was demolished.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
          Where is the Studebaker Body Plant located? I was under the impression that the entire complex was demolished.
          Building #84, the Administration Building, and the entire Chippewa Ave. plant are still standing. The rest is gone. Building #84 is located on the extreme North side of the complex in what was Plant 1 on Sample St. in South Bend.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

We did start working on this in the beginning of July when it was suggested to the Museum there be a Studebaker employees appreciation day on December 9th. Since then they changed the date and said they don't want our help so we responded to Building 84's request for help when we were asked. I tried to contact T.W. on October 22nd about how to do an article which would have included this information but didn't get a response for almost a month which was to late. We are now doing our best to do the best we can to keep the Studebaker Brothers legacy alive. I don't know if you have ever tried to take on a project of this magnitude but I would imagine not by your comments. I believe my fellow Club Members and their efforts to be extremely cool and hope that everyone will be able to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
              What is the date of this event? If you are doing it this year, as it is 50 years since December 1963, it is a little short of a lead up time. If you had of let us know in say june it would have been a goal to work towards but giving us a week or two is not cool.

So, looking at other posts it is on Dec 20th, still not enough time.
              Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
              We did start working on this in the beginning of July when it was suggested to the Museum there be a Studebaker employees appreciation day on December 9th. Since then they changed the date and said they don't want our help so we responded to Building 84's request for help when we were asked. I tried to contact T.W. on October 22nd about how to do an article which would have included this information but didn't get a response for almost a month which was to late. We are now doing our best to do the best we can to keep the Studebaker Brothers legacy alive. I don't know if you have ever tried to take on a project of this magnitude but I would imagine not by your comments. I believe my fellow Club Members and their efforts to be extremely cool and hope that everyone will be able to attend.
              I think the point is that apparently enough information was known on October 22nd to to contact Turning Wheels but no mention was made on this site until yesterday. December is a time often reserved for families and after the point when most people living in close proximity to South Bend have tucked their cars away for the winter. I would have to agree that there was a lack of communication on this and as a consequence participation will be limited.

Comment

Tim, i don't know you, but your friend Chris Dresbach is a friend of mine and i know how hard he works on studebaker historical stuff. you guys should ignore the negatives and keep up the fine work you and others do in SB. if there was any way i could get off work, i would gladly bring one of my cars over. good luck, and please post pictures.
                thanks,
                Butch Summers
                61 lark cruiser
                64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by studerodder View Post
                  Tim, i don't know you, but your friend Chris Dresbach is a friend of mine and i know how hard he works on studebaker historical stuff. you guys should ignore the negatives and keep up the fine work you and others do in SB. if there was any way i could get off work, i would gladly bring one of my cars over. good luck, and please post pictures.
                  thanks,
                  Butch Summers
                  Thank you, Butch.

As for comments related to the time of the announcement being made about bringing cars to building #84, Tim has been working tirelessly with what he has to work with. Both the Michiana Chapter as well as TW were contacted at an appropriate time. The fact that neither Tim nor I got a response in a timely manner, sometimes not at all, is beyond our control. I think the reason Tim started this thread in the first place was a list-ditch attempt at trying to gather a few cars so the SDC would be represented at Bldg. #84 on the day of the tours. As far as the tours themselves go, they were mentioned in this months issue of TW as well as at least one previous issue; so the date and announcement of an "open house" at building #84 has not been a secret.
                  So what we're trying to say is, if you can bring a car to be showcased on Dec. 20th during the tours, great, we would really appreciate it. If not, well, thanks anyway. Regardless, Tim has been busting his rear to make this day something everybody who attends will be able to enjoy, don't beat him up to bad.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                  X