Education can be fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education can be fun

The fog burned off early this afternoon, the sun came out, and the temp bumped into the low 70s, so I took the '50 Land Cruiser out to get some estimates on having the hood and trunk lid repainted. One shop I visited is run by a younger fellow--probably late 20s. I must have talked with him for 15 minutes about the car. Told him all about (and showed him) the big 6, the hill holder, and the electronic overdrive. Boy, was he impressed, as was his buddy. Both asked lots of questions. Of course, the bullet nose was fascinating to them both. The owner even commented that the front end looked like an airplane. I then gave them a little history lesson on the design of late 40s/early 50s cars and how they were influenced by WWII aircraft design. Told them about the Tucker and the '49 Ford (see the recent thread on this http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ford-front-end ). The owner knew a little about Studebakers (his buddy had never heard of Studebaker before) but hadn't seen one up close and personal before. He probably won't run out and buy one, but at least he knows how cool they are--both mechanically and stylistically. I told him I recently acquired a '35 Dictator, and he said, "Man, I'd love to see that car, too!" Unfortunately, his was the highest estimate. If I had deep pockets, I'd give him the job simply because he was so interested in my car (unlike the other shops).

Education can be fun.

All in all, a very rewarding day.
Working...
X